CRT Fetish Thread

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I didn't say that BVM wasn't a good monitor, if you'd actually read my post. Just that multisync, high res (eg, HRTrinitron) or large size (20", 24" or 32") are the best CRT BVMs. But which of those factors is most important to you, or how much you are willing to pay, is another question. 20" monitors are usually cheaper than 32", but they are often not multisync. You could always get another multisync (Multiformat) monitor later on, in any case.

A lot of the Multiformat monitors have a 16:9 aspect ratio which doesn't make them a good choice for classic SD games consoles. As for bigger screen sizes sharpness and clarity noticeably drop off on the larger displays as compared to say a 800 lines 14" HR.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
A lot of the Multiformat monitors have a 16:9 aspect ratio which doesn't make them a good choice for classic SD games consoles. As for bigger screen sizes sharpness and clarity noticeably drop off on the larger displays as compared to say a 800 lines 14" HR.

Joe8 thinks composite is better than s-video.

He cares nothing about video quality.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I didn't say that BVM wasn't a good monitor, if you'd actually read my post. Just that multisync, high res (eg, HRTrinitron) or large size (20", 24" or 32") are the best CRT BVMs. But which of those factors is most important to you, or how much you are willing to pay, is another question. 20" monitors are usually cheaper than 32", but they are often not multisync. You could always get another multisync (Multiformat) monitor later on, in any case.

Please get the fuck out of this thread.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I saw this on my local craigslist and thought it was interesting. Check out the "RGB" port on the back. Anyone seen a connector like that before? I'm guessing that monitor is pretty ancient, looks like it might say September 1986 on the back?. And at 11" pretty darn small and probably useless for gaming.

00O0O_cYJsVtSmOJl_600x450.jpg

00g0g_lWSIudebDly_600x450.jpg

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ele/4702866993.html

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
When it comes to terminating the outputs with a 75 ohm BNC terminator is there anything specific I need? I know of course they need to be male and BNC style, but I see how they also have a wattage and percentage. Any ideas on how that comes into play?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Nice little video here, how crt's are made:

Seems like such a delicate and intricate process.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Nice little video here, how crt's are made:

Seems like such a delicate and intricate process.

Fascinating stuff thanks for sharing! With the amount of labor involved, no wonder these things cost a fortune when they were new. :D

I saw this on my local craigslist and thought it was interesting. Check out the "RGB" port on the back. Anyone seen a connector like that before? I'm guessing that monitor is pretty ancient, looks like it might say September 1986 on the back?. And at 11" pretty darn small and probably useless for gaming.

00O0O_cYJsVtSmOJl_600x450.jpg

00g0g_lWSIudebDly_600x450.jpg

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ele/4702866993.html

The VTR/EIAJ-8 is usually used for Digital RGB when it's being used as a non-standard RGB connector. It was usually used as an all-in-one connector for pro VCRs and stuff like that. HOWEVER there apparently is one very small Sony monitor similar to this one that accepts analog RGB through the EIAJ-8 connector. Someone proved it a long time ago on some forum or something if anyone remembers. Here's the pinout if you ever wanna experiment.

Sony 8-pin RGB.jpg

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
These are taken with a cheap camera:

348nmhh.jpg

29cvwck.jpg

2ymak21.jpg

TV: Bang & Olufsen MX7000.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I have both a 14" and a 29", and IMO screen size is the most important factor (as long as there are no picture problems). The best professional monitors, overall, for a 4:3 system like the Neo Geo, are ones like the PVM-2950, PVM-3230, PVM-4300, NEC XM2960, and the 37"+ Mitisubishi Megaview, as they are big 4:3 screens (and the latter two are multisync).

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Joe8 thinks composite is better than s-video.

He cares nothing about video quality.
I said composite has more durable connectors than s-video. That's not the same as saying the picture quality is better.
There is always going to be some subjectivity in saying which monitors are "better" than others. Some have more size (like the 2950 PVM and NEC XM2960), some have better picture quality (like the BVMs and the smaller PVMs).

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have both a 14" and a 29", and IMO screen size is the most important factor (as long as there are no picture problems). The best professional monitors, overall, are ones like the PVM-2950, PVM-3230, PVM-4300, NEC XM2960, and the 37"+ Mitisubishi Megaview, as they are big 4:3 screens (and the latter two are multisync).

I prefer tge 20 size, I sit close to the screen like I was playing an arcade game.
Also, the 2930/3230 Don't accept component via BNC, and have no OSD. Also they have less than 600 TVL. Most of em are pretty old now and have seen heavy use. I had a 2530 and adjusting the pots with the casing off wasn't fun.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
So I bought this really basic splitter to hook into my Bandridge out port so I could run to my Horizontal and Vertical PVMs at the same time, so I wouldnt have to change output cables all the time. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/361059007608)

Splitter works, I get a picture, but the issue is I can tell the picture is much more dim going through the splitter. Is there a way I could wire something in to boost the picture back up to proper levels? Or any other suggestions for keeping to 2 pvms hooked to one output on the bandridge?

Edit: Took it apart, its just 2 female ports on a board with traces connecting the first port to the second port. Would finding one with a switch help since both ports wouldnt be active at the same time?

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Why not just run RGB cables from the OUT ports of PVM1 to the IN ports of PVM2?
No outputs on the RGB inputs, but that would be a good idea =)

EDIT: WELLL DUHHHHHH. I had tried going from small to large before (small has RGB out) and it didnt work, then after you bringing this back up I realized I hadnt used the cable with the sync stripper since the small one take all syncs, yeah when I stripped the signal before sending to the small the large started to work, thanks!

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Some recent shots of the F1 playing some RGB Coryoon:

20141030_195246_zps39mgqenx.jpg

20141030_201240_zpsjnsusphf.jpg

20141030_201335_14_zps51mtnrn1.jpg

20141030_212554_zpsa5cwypaf.jpg