CRT Fetish Thread

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
oh dear me, I must've read the thread title wrong. I thought this was the CAT Fetish thread..........how disappointing.

soundguy77

n00b
Recently received broken's custom Scart to BNC RGB cable. Here are the pics I promised. The sharpness alone is completely flawless. It's almost too good. TACK sharp. Pics don't do it justice. Thanks again broken. The text in NBA Jam speaks for itself.

Setup:
Unmodded Sega Genesis Model 1
Sony PVM-14M2U
Scart to BNC RGB cable

RGB

112el3t.jpg

Before (Composite)

2mix45.jpg

After (RGB)

2iqetv.jpg

Before (Composite)

qq5zqv.jpg

After (RGB)

2r2o2.jpg

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
^^^^ Pretty spesh soundguy.

A message for the unwashed:

article-1308585306257-0CA6B52400000578-322256_636x658.jpg

"ARRRGHHH IF YOUR NOT PLAYING IN RGB! GTFO!!! ARGGHHH"

Last edited:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Just received my Sony PVM-20M4E

Even though the Sony PVM works, the item came broken in all sort of places.

Absolutely no resemblance to the picture in the original listing.

I took some pictures upon unboxing so that you can see for yourself

BrokenPVM02.jpg

BrokenPVM03.jpg

BrokenPVM04.jpg

BrokenPVM05.jpg

BrokenPVM06.jpg

BrokenPVM07.jpg

BrokenPVM08.jpg

BrokenPVM01.jpg

The monitor powers on but the damage done on the outside is too much. It bares no resemblance
to the pictured item in the original listing

I have not yet tested it with an input device although I hear something moving inside the cage

Here is the original listing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PVM-...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That sucks man. :(

PVMs getting damaged in shipping sadly happens all the time. :(

My first PVM was damaged in shipping from careless packing. When I bought my second, I purposely got it from someone that was near enough that I could drive to and pick it up.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Let's see what is the response of the seller. I immediately contacted him and send him the pictures

If it gets refunded I'm ok with it.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
i noticed these pvms dont have speakers and a lot of them only have one audio input what are you guys doing to get stereo sound just an audio splicer to some regular speakers?

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
The either have one mono speaker built in, or they have actual stereo speaker jacks in the back. Almost always one or the other.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
i noticed these pvms dont have speakers and a lot of them only have one audio input what are you guys doing to get stereo sound just an audio splicer to some regular speakers?

Yes- I have mine hooked up to some computer speakers and a line that can go to the stereo besides the mono staying connected to the set.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Yes- I have mine hooked up to some computer speakers and a line that can go to the stereo besides the mono staying connected to the set.

kewl thanks bro hopefully i win the bid on the pvm 20 im trying to get been dying to get my hands on one for a fair price seem everyone is overcharging for these things

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Dear RGB, thank you for being awesome on CRT monitors.

DSCN1751.jpg

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Picked up a NOS PVM-20M2MDU earlier this evening. VERY HAPPY. PVM number 5. RGB CRT number 8.

NOS_PVM.jpg

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
WOW! Minus the shipping that's quite a deal. It even had 3 bids, haha. What were people doing... hmm I think I'll up the ante with another 3 bucks haha.

dont know but the starting bid was $1 last night and i put in a max bid of 35 cause didnt want to spend over 100 bucks for shipping and everything and ended up getting it for 15 haha im pretty stoked about it been waiting for a while to get a good deal on one :)

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
My final two cords came & the sega saturn looks more amazing in RGB that I thought it would.

However, I have a problem with the Super Nintendo and I want to know If i screwed up the order, or if this is just what I can expect the SNES to output.

Picture 1 is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past's save file select screen through component cables on my Wii through the homebrew channel's SNES emulator.

The second is the exact same game through broken's adapter & eBay seller "retro_console_accessories " RBG Scart cable on my physica;l super nintendo & cartridge.

Did I order the wrong cable two times in a row, or is something else causing the blurry picture?

Here's the listing I bought. Maybe I should have ordered the one that was labeled "raw sync"?

Also, please don't chalk up the snes pictures up to me not focusing the camera. It really does loook that bad (more or less) and I couldn't get the snes pictures to look better no matter what i tried. I wish it wasn't so hard to take CRT pictures, i really do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160916513885?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Wii

avisfs.jpg

SNES

20rmtc9.jpg

Wii

2bad8x.jpg

SNES

16kvo03.jpg

BONUS: Saturn Bomberman in RGB

2qvdo53.jpg

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Like I said in post #233
When in doubt, if you have the option, pick a cable that uses composite sync (or raw sync as she likes to use). However PVM's typically have no problem syncing with composite video as sync.

With all that said, the SNES does have a bit of a soft RGB output. Its not super razor sharp like the Genesis or Saturn.