CRT Fetish Thread

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I ordered some RCA female to BNC male adapters to kinda hold me over till I can gather more stuff for my RGB setup. Having my NES hooked up to my LCD tv doesn't feel right and it looks awful.

Do you have a model 1 genesis? If so I have a brand new start cable for it you can have if you cover the shipping.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Since I have a PVM now I got a light gun for my PS1 and Saturn, threw in Virtua Cop on the Saturn, man light gun games are fun. Going to have to beef up my endurance though, shoulders got tired :lolz:

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
i once had a late 90's model 32in. TOSHIBA since it was new, and i thought it the cat's total ass... until i replaced it with my current 46in. LCD.
granted, the occasional CRT trickery effect is quite broken, but that is an acceptable trade-off for the utter unvarnished crystalline truth
in which this LCD of mine seems to display each and every one of my SD sources;

DSC_0617.jpg

SONIC2ON46inLCDHDM9-13-141_zpseda2dd5c.jpg

SONIC2ON46inLCDHDM9-13-142_zps57537c28.jpg

SONIC2ON46inLCDHDM9-13-143_zps9804aec8.jpg

SONIC2ON46inLCDHDM9-13-144_zps93d4b089.jpg

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Doesn't help much if you're still using composite for your Genesis honestly.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Lol...that Genesis looks like hot garbage. If you're playing retro stuff you might want to invest in a scaling device.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Okay then, for me it's about RGB. Playing them on better hardware than I used to have. And I think other people should use RGB if they can, but it's up to them if they want to use composite instead.

You might say composite has just as much of chance to fail as s-video, but that's not my experience. I'm only going only my real-world experience with it, which is that the composite has never failed on any of the things I've had. I've bent pins, but not actually broken them. I tend to use my own experience as my guide for anything technical, and not so much going on what other people say.

Please stop fucking posting in this thread. It would be nice to not have to see your horseshit where it does not belong.

Spoiler:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/ would be a much better place for you. Please go post your made up bullshit over there.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
i once had a late 90's model 32in. TOSHIBA since it was new, and i thought it the cat's total ass... until i replaced it with my current 46in. LCD.
granted, the occasional CRT trickery effect is quite broken, but that is an acceptable trade-off for the utter unvarnished crystalline truth
in which this LCD of mine seems to display each and every one of my SD sources;

The image on that Toshiba looks pretty smart which is unfortunately not something that can be said about the LCD screen pics you posted.
If you want to continue using LCD for SD sources then I would seriously think about getting a scaler. Also, put the TV into 4:3 mode - widescreen makes the game look hideously deformed.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Please stop fucking posting in this thread. It would be nice to not have to see your horseshit where it does not belong.

Spoiler:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/ would be a much better place for you. Please go post your made up bullshit over there.

Every time you post, I picture it in the voice of Skips from Regular Show. Fucking awesome!

GAMEFAN

Master Tasuke

The Neo (and all retro consoles) look damn fine on a PVM via RGB.

cmvs1.jpg

- indeed, all you need left is a decent stereo amplifier and 4-way loudspeaker pair to round yourself out the Compleat NEO Experience as God Iintended It...

Last edited:

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Okay then, for me it's about RGB. Playing them on better hardware than I used to have. And I think other people should use RGB if they can, but it's up to them if they want to use composite instead.

You might say composite has just as much of chance to fail as s-video, but that's not my experience. I'm only going only my real-world experience with it, which is that the composite has never failed on any of the things I've had. I've bent pins, but not actually broken them. I tend to use my own experience as my guide for anything technical, and not so much going on what other people say.

I know loads of Retro gamers who play NES/SNES/Atari/Genesis with RF/Composite and don't care and are happy. Has nothing to do with RGB.

Nyd

Master Tasuke

i dunno... Composite seems perfectly well, Perfect to me, for all intents and purposes.

if i had the money to blow, i'd just go ahead and have all my SD VG hardware modded for the best possible A/V output.
back in Reality, however, the stock Composite/Audio L/R,
-as well as my own self-performed mods to my Genny and AES for direct L/R stereo RCA output-
seem plenty adequate for my purposes indeed...

Last edited:

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i dunno... Composite seems perfectly well, Perfect to me, for all intents and purposes.

if i had the money to blow, i'd just go ahead and have all my SD VG hardware modded for the best possible A/V output.
back in Reality, however, the stock Composite/Audio L/R,
-as well as my own self-performed mods to my Genny and AES for direct L/R stereo RCA output-
seem plenty adequate for my purposes indeed...

My Coregrafx looks amazing over composite on my PVM, but some other consoles don't fair as
well.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy

You don't even need to have your Genesis or AES modded, they already output RGB out of the box and you just need the proper cables and possibly a SCART to component box or Framemeister.

Master Tasuke

i might be imagining things, but i have a ton of these clip on Ferrite noise filters i harvested out of several old HD-processing Rear-Projection monitors
i ran across at the recyclers, and i have since used them on the power cords and A/C adaptors of all my audio and A/V gear,
in addition to every one of my VG consoles, vintage and current, and i could swear that it actually improves their A/V output,
even of only marginally...

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I wish I had some, I got some weird issues that I think are interference related.

Gonna see if I can find some locally.

Nyd

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
i might be imagining things, but i have a ton of these clip on Ferrite noise filters i harvested out of several old HD-processing Rear-Projection monitors
i ran across at the recyclers, and i have since used them on the power cords and A/C adaptors of all my audio and A/V gear,
in addition to every one of my VG consoles, vintage and current, and i could swear that it actually improves their A/V output,
even of only marginally...

I'm curious about that, what do they look like? The wiring is really old in my house and if something like this could help performance that would be awesome.

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
yep tated all the PVM's I've ever owned no probs, the older ones might want a degauss tho.

Nyd

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Thanks, couldn't hurt to check. I had one in the past that had been used upside down (!) by a previous owner and it had some nasty discoloration from lack of degaussing.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This thread is about CRTs, mixed with purists and experiences, which many are looking for Technical Experience. The issue the majority of us have with you is simple:

You have shown Zero Technical Experience in this thread and spew out nonsense trying to prove something you aren't.
You do realize this thread is not posted in the tech support forum. If people want advice on technical matters, maybe they should ask a question in that forum, which is moderated by people like JMKurtz and Xian Xi. I thought this thread was more about people showing their enthusiasm for PVMs.

Nobody is forcing you to read my posts. Go over to the sega-16 forums, if you would prefer that to being here.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
You do realize this thread is not posted in the tech support forum. If people want advice on technical matters, maybe they should ask a question in that forum, which is moderated by people like JMKurtz and Xian Xi. I thought this thread was more about people showing their enthusiasm for PVMs.

Nobody is forcing you to read my posts. Go over to the sega-16 forums, if you would prefer that to being here.

I am convinced you have some sort of mental disability. I have never seen an individual have so many comments just go clear over their head, at least until now that is.

And where the fuck did you even get me saying i prefer Sega-16? The comment meant you should go there since you seem to have the IQ of the average member that posts on that site. Holy fucking shit dude, do you even speak and understand English or are you making that up as you go as well (Just like all the other shit you post).