CRT Fetish Thread

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
y'know he might be right, the technology inside the DVD player or TV is notoriously unreliable. probably best to take it to your local technology inside the DVD player or TV repairman. that stuff's pretty technical.

tumblr_inline_n9m4gfuN1e1qziitf.gif

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
John Steele returns to debate whether my BVM 20F1 is no better than emulation and scanline filter:

John Steele
4 days ago
Linked comment
Frankly, I would not want this monitor for old-school gaming. In the close-up shots you can see how big and obvious the gaps between scanlines are; I might as well use my LCD monitor with the terrible scanline filter available on most emulators. Like an article on Tested explains (I won't link to it because YouTube seems to delete my comments when I put links in them), a cheaper CRT TV would have more blooming of the scanlines, making the image look seamless. Unless someone can tell me it comes with a dial or setting to defocus (for lack of a better term) the scanlines?
·
K-2
3 days ago

HahahahhahahahahahahhaHhahahHHHhHHHHhHAaaaa!!!
·
John Steele
1 day ago (edited)
+K-2 OK friend, the article is at http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/456719-best-crt-retro-games . I watched the whole video and saw your comb filter, so I don't see what was so ignorant about my question. Please condescend to enlightening this apparent yokel regarding your pitiful nerd hipster hobbyist toy. Make it especially clear why one should buy a two-hundred-dollar professional-grade CRT monitor to use a gaming system that outputs 256 by 224 pixels."

___

Maybe he has a point, on the BVM being too perfect :mr_t: But he's obviously showing signs of immense butthurt. Not sure whether I should leave him with the last word, or continue to patronize him.

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
John Steele returns to debate whether my BVM 20F1 is no better than emulation and scanline filter:
Maybe he has a point, on the BVM being too perfect :mr_t: But he's obviously showing signs of immense butthurt. Not sure whether I should leave him with the last word, or continue to patronize him.

The 'too perfect' argument appears from time to time in articles / videos. As for the 'overkill' aspect of using a monitor of such calibre for video games consoles, which at the end of the day were not professional grade products, this point seems a bit weak - nothing wrong with wanting the best quality available and present day prices of these monitors are supportive of this (PVM / BVM can be had for substantially less than e.g. a LED TV + XRGB mini).
As for consumer grade CRT's running RGB I find these are great displays also. You definietly loose some sharpness and colour accuracy but on the flipside get an image which is brighter / less analytical than on a PVM / BVM - there is more glow to the iamge and colours appear almost neon like .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdnC1mx7E0U - a pretty good clip, about 3/4 of the way through there is a comparison of a BVM to a regular Sony TV running RGB.

Last edited:

RoadBuster

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks to VoltronBadass, I'm now a member of the PVM club!

kXGhPWW.jpg

Now, if possible, I have a couple of questions. Right now, it's just hooked up via S-vid because that's all I had. VB showed me that using a SCART cable and then a BNC adapter is the way to go. So, I wanted to double check.

Are these the cords I need for an AES?

This and this?

And if so, is there a better place to get them?

Sorry for the newbness and thanks!

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
make sure it's at least 20 inches.

Another ng member came and picked up an 8" from the last lot I got, he loves it. Its all about what you are using it for, a 14" is fine if you are sitting close from my experience as well.

simon_C

n00b
Oh man this thread is making me salivate for a nice CRT. Having a hard time finding a nice big one though. That and I don't think I have anywhere to put one...

Bancho

n00b
Hi everyone! I'm new around these parts but I have a thing about CRT's so this thread is ace to me! :glee:

I originally had and still own this 21" Sony Trinitron which I picked up for £9.

Then I picked up 2 PVM's for £20. 20m2e and a 14m2e. The 14" was great but i wasn't happy with the 20" picture so a friend is having that as he is not so fussed.

Then i picked up this for 99p! I took a gamble on it as it was listed as spares or repairs but the seller told me it powered on but had no means of testing it. Got it home, plugged it in and it worked. Picture and Geometry are awesome. It's a 20" JVC BM-H2000PN-K

The JVC is my primary display now. The 14" gets used with the Twin Famicom and the Trinitron is used upstairs for the Dreamcast and Wii through RGB Scart. I want to build a CMVS now to go with the rest of my machines which was the main factor for registering. I love blazing star.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nice!

JVC makes awesome monitors.

I use to have a 14inch JVC model that I loved until it died a couple years ago.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Hi everyone! I'm new around these parts but I have a thing about CRT's so this thread is ace to me! :glee:

I originally had and still own this 21" Sony Trinitron which I picked up for £9.

Very nice collection - thanks for posting. I have a very similar looking Sony Trinitron TV with RGB via Scart and really happy with it. Don't know if you know but the the cool thing on these sets is that if you hit the teletext buton on a 480i source it will actually deinterlace the image into 240p - pretty cool for PS2, Dreamcast etc.
The JVC monitor looks very nice - I am looking into getting one of those myself but so far the ones I have seen available locally seldom offer RGB - most usually just composite or composite + s-video.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I am not sure where to ask retro game question on the forums, but I figure you guys would be a good place to start. I know there are issues playing PS1 games on PS3, extra input lag is added. Are there any disadvantages to playing PS1 games on the PS2? Trying to decide if I need to pick up a PS1 or if I can just play everything on my PS2.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
I haven't noticed any differences but my PS1 games won't save game progress or high score on my PS2 memory card. I think it works with a PSX memory card though.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I haven't noticed any differences but my PS1 games won't save game progress or high score on my PS2 memory card. I think it works with a PSX memory card though.

Yeah it will do that, I was able to save fine, I sometimes have to move the ps1 card to slot 1 because some ps1 games default to that slot.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I know it isn't a PVM but I just got a 32 inch Sony Trinitron KV-32FS100 and the picture is just insane compared to other CRT's I've owned. I got one of those scart to component adapters. now at first the picture was VERY blue but I found online that you have to open up the converter and mess with the color pots inside. And after about a half and hour I got the colors absolutely perfect. All I have to say is money well spent, if you see this model trinitron do not hesitate in picking it up, the scanlines are glorious on it and you can see each pixel perfectly defined, it is 240p heaven. I think I might just have to box up my XRGB-mini.

57504c6ec8e3bb70f7cd05d825818e2b.jpg

Bancho

n00b
Nice!

JVC makes awesome monitors.

I use to have a 14inch JVC model that I loved until it died a couple years ago.

I'm really impressed with my JVC. I do prefer it over the PVM's, i think the fact that mine required no setting up the geometry. All I had to adjust was the H & V Size and Position.

Hey, that looks pretty great! Need to add it to my searches. :)

I've only every seen one 20" on UK ebay and i bought it hahaha :lolz: Good luck with your search. If you can find one grab it!

Very nice collection - thanks for posting. I have a very similar looking Sony Trinitron TV with RGB via Scart and really happy with it. Don't know if you know but the the cool thing on these sets is that if you hit the teletext buton on a 480i source it will actually deinterlace the image into 240p - pretty cool for PS2, Dreamcast etc.
The JVC monitor looks very nice - I am looking into getting one of those myself but so far the ones I have seen available locally seldom offer RGB - most usually just composite or composite + s-video.

I did not know about that trick about the teletext button! I will have to check it out, thanks for making me aware! A lot of the newer JVC monitors I saw either only have S-Video, Composite or Add in boards which always seem to be SDI. If you do come across one with RGB/Components i would buy it!

The picture quality is pretty great. It is a 750 TVL unit so close to the HR Trinitron 800 TVL's.

Here is My RGB famicom running Mega Man 2. This shows the scanlines really well. The RGB famicom really does output a great 240p image.

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
damn it i love this thread.

i have a couple extra PVM-1340s in Indianapolis if anyone is nearby and looking.

simon_C

n00b
I'm going to pick this up tomorrow:

FxOd8sXl.jpg

Jqd8LHSl.jpg

It's a PVM-2030 I scored it for $50 local pickup on ebay.

I'll just have to pick up some speakers and make a db25 adaptor cable so i can run my consoles on it with rgb.

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy

FxOd8sXl.jpg

Jqd8LHSl.jpg

I'll just have to pick up some speakers and make a db25 adaptor cable so i can run my consoles on it with rgb.

Looks like its in nice shape.
I love the ability to plug in regular stereo speakers into the 20X0 series, sounds awesome.

Nyd

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy

Nice! That was a good price. I saw that one and was kind of considering it, but I definitely don't have the room. Post up some pics here when you have it all set up.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member

FxOd8sXl.jpg

You want to look for the APM-X5A speakers for that monitor with the foldout bracket. They attach on the side and are totally sweet. Just like these but hopefully you can get them cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-APM-X5...o_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item3f3b2bae62
They are worth finding though, the sound quality is surprisingly awesome and they are shielded so you dont have to worry about the magnets distorting the crt

jedfactor

n00b
The 'too perfect' argument appears from time to time in articles / videos. As for the 'overkill' aspect of using a monitor of such calibre for video games consoles, which at the end of the day were not professional grade products, this point seems a bit weak - nothing wrong with wanting the best quality available and present day prices of these monitors are supportive of this (PVM / BVM can be had for substantially less than e.g. a LED TV + XRGB mini).
As for consumer grade CRT's running RGB I find these are great displays also. You definietly loose some sharpness and colour accuracy but on the flipside get an image which is brighter / less analytical than on a PVM / BVM - there is more glow to the iamge and colours appear almost neon like .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdnC1mx7E0U - a pretty good clip, about 3/4 of the way through there is a comparison of a BVM to a regular Sony TV running RGB.

I agree with this, having a bvm, the picture is very different to what I remember my old sony trinitron was like. The BVM looks is cool in its own way, but it is quite different to what i remember my old trinitron was like. Maybe living in the UK scanlines weren't as apparent because of the old horizontal black borders which increased the resolution some what.