CRT Fetish Thread

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Indeed the upgrade from S-video to RGB is not as huge as people make it out to be, while at the Midwest Gaming Classic I witnessed Broken's PVM and could not believe my eyes that the picture was from just S-video and not RGB. What an unbelievable crisp picture. I'd say the only time I really notice the difference between S-video and RGB is on my XRGB-mini, really hard to tell on a CRT.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Indeed the upgrade from S-video to RGB is not as huge as people make it out to be, while at the Midwest Gaming Classic I witnessed Broken's PVM and could not believe my eyes that the picture was from just S-video and not RGB. What an unbelievable crisp picture. I'd say the only time I really notice the difference between S-video and RGB is on my XRGB-mini, really hard to tell on a CRT.
S-video is much better (in terms of video quality) than composite. But I find it's unreliable compared to composite, the internal electronics/chips that facilitate s-video can fail after a while. Or the the pins on the s-video connector can bend or break, if you don't insert the plug correctly. So I end up using composite as a backup to component and RGB.

I swear to god you are just fucking stupid.

You really need to stay out of this thread, and preferably off these forums.
I was just giving an opinion. s-video is unreliable. If you need something to use instead of component/RGB, composite is probably better in the long run than s-video. I don't like s-video, is what I was really saying.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
S-video is much better than composite. But I find it's unreliable compared to composite, the internal electronics/chips that facilitate s-video can fail after a while. Or the the pins on the s-video connector can bend or break, if you don't insert the plug correctly. So I end up using composite as a backup to component and RGB.

I was just giving an opinion. s-video is unreliable. If you need something to use instead of component/RGB, composite is probably better in the long run than s-video. I don't like s-video, is what I was really saying.

WTF are you talking about? In most cases its the same god damned chip/components as composite that generates the Chroma and Luma signals. The pins only bend in the S-video connected if you are being an idiot, don't he-man the connected into the port the wrong way and you wont have that problem. Seriously look information up before talking out your ass, about 90% of the stuff you just said is 100% bullshit.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
S-video is much better than composite. But I find it's unreliable compared to composite, the internal electronics/chips that facilitate s-video can fail after a while. Or the the pins on the s-video connector can bend or break, if you don't insert the plug correctly. So I end up using composite as a backup to component and RGB.

You are 100% talking out your ass.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
For now the first systems I'd get RGB cables for would be my Master System and Genesis, since I can't get S-Video from them. Then later on I'd get the cables for the rest of my systems.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
In all my years using S-video I have not once ever bent a pin trying to plug it in, S-video plugs are shaped in such a way that you can only plug it in the right way unless you put some serious brute force into it. My only complaint with S-video is that it can be hard to plug it in blindly when you can't pull the TV out to get back to the inputs, but that is why I just use an S-video switch box selector and have it in front of the TV. Not sure where your coming from on the S-video chips in the TV failing, never heard of that.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
The only time pins have ever bent for me is when someone yanked the cable out. Even then I was able to push them back into place. Why most people were fine with composite and RF back in the day just confuses the hell out of me... :scratch:

2050-Z

New Challenger
Other option is to get / build some sort of simple stereo to mono mixer but ultimately getting a cheap set of external stereo speakers is a better idea all around.

This is what I've done. A simple little hardware piece that I got for $0.99 at Goodwill. Love the little mono speaker on my 14" for simplicity.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Holy fuck do you even know how anything works?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I remember having a pin bend in my N64/SNES S-video cable used on my RCA Colortrack Plus 20" (Good S-video capable TV set for 1993/94 I have to say though, and was later renamed as RCA Home Theater). I kinda jammed it somehow while plugging it in once, but was able to use needle-nose pliers to straighten it out.

It was nice to have S-video when I bought the cables finally for my SNES/N64/PS1/NGCD back in 96. I remember firing up Suikoden for the first time using S-video and dayummm. My friends kept asking how my picture looked so good when they were only using RF and composite back then. Of course I had that one friend being a smart-ass and saying "I can't tell the difference between your S-video and composite on my 32 inch RCA", get your eyes checked dude lol. Hell, most of my friends then didn't even quit only using composite for all consoles until 2005 when they got a better TV and a Xbox 360. I started using Component video with my PS2, Neo Geo AES, Gamecube and Xbox 2 years after I got my Sony Trinitron 27" in 2003. Why I waited so long is beyond me. First games I hooked up with Component was Last Blade for my Neo Geo with the Neobitz I have just installed and then Lunar 2 on my PS2. I couldn't believe how crisp each pixel looked and this set did S-video 2x better than my old RCA it seemed.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member

I told you in the other thread that you are out of your element. Stick to making bullshit polls.

Keep your fucking garbage out of these threads.

noCLip

Camel Slug
Gonna check out a Sony 20m2u pvm on monday. I'm a pretty big novice at pvms, is there anything specific in the settings should check out on it before I buy?

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Gonna check out a Sony 20m2u pvm on monday. I'm a pretty big novice at pvms, is there anything specific in the settings should check out on it before I buy?

If the seller allows it bring a console with you to test. or something that can output a test pattern. Really look close at the text make sure its not jittering or bending etc, mind indicate the PVM is on its last legs.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Is there a way that I can get the image to fill up the entire screen? I'm afraid to start dicking around with the settings.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Thats a well matched set!
What kind of inputs does this TV have?

Sadly only RF. It's truly old school. Didn't have a RF hookup cable nearby and the famicom was modded for A/V... but I found an RF modulator in my box of gizmos to hookup A/V to RF.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
This is what I've done. A simple little hardware piece that I got for $0.99 at Goodwill. Love the little mono speaker on my 14" for simplicity.

I wouldn't mind picking such a mixer up since it does save on desk space / clutter but can't seem to find anything suitable. Obviously I am talking about a mixing circuit and not one of those Y-plug adapter dividing adapters which people sometimes incorrectly use the other way for merging channels.