CRT Fetish Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Wii does have a 240p output mode that it uses for VC stuff. The Wii must be set for 480I resolution, if it's set for 480p it will line double instead.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I'm hoping to pick up a top-loader NES later in the year and get that RGB modded (Sick of having a clone console). Hopefully I can get a PC Engine Duo-R and Sega Master System as well. Gotta beef up my collection, but I gotta have em with RGB too.

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The Wii does have a 240p output mode that it uses for VC stuff. The Wii must be set for 480I resolution, if it's set for 480p it will line double instead.

The wii totally can do 240p, the emulators need to be set for "original" or "double strile". and yes the wii's output must be set for 480i in the system's display menu. It works via component cable as well. Retroarch is a bit more tricky, but you can set the native resolution for cps1/cps2 as well which looks spectacular.

Nyd

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
PVM 20l5 woes

I have a bizzare issue with my 20l5, I also have a 20l2 that does not exhibit this issue in anyway.

Whenever I use the l5 with RGB SCART the picture wiggles slightly.

It seems to be the worst when I use a megadrive boosted sync SCART I got from retro accessories, but it happens with all of my scart cables for Saturn, PS1/2/ SNES.

Tried different cables, different BNC breakouts, different power supplies etc, I thought maybe it was a sign that the PVM was dying but it does not occur at ALL when using component. When using component cables the picture is rock solid. Perfect, No idea whats going on. :(

I am waiting for RGB scart for a wii so I can calibrate it using the 240p suite.

Anyone ever have this issue, if the pvm needed a recap or was dying wouldn't this issue manifest it self in component, composite modes? Why only RGB?

just to clarify, it a slight judder/jitter on the screen, really noticable on text, or if mario is just standing there like its struggling to sync or something.

Thanks,

I'll see if I can make a video

Nyd

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Picked up 2 more XM29's yesterday so I had 3 in my house. Here's the 2 I picked up linked via RGB and playing some SFII' on Pc Engine. Sorry for the bad pics I didn't have very good lighting last night.
zSYkDYX.jpg

v7qWnB6.jpg
ixrc3bT.jpg
yfHP98b.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Fucking hell!

Florida is the XM29 capital apparently.

edit: I see some OBEY action going on.

Yodd approves.

Last edited:

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Fucking hell!

Florida is the XM29 capital apparently.

edit: I see some OBEY action going on.

Yodd approves.
There's always OBEY avction going on in my house ;)

The story behind all the XM29s in Florida is that a theme park or something in Orlando had a bunch maybe on a video wall (some of them have the mounts to stack them opened up) and listed them on ebay about 5 years ago. A local arcade forum bought them all and so a lot of people ended up with 2 of them. I've just been picking them up from people on the forum who are tired of these huge as hell monitors in their houses then getting them in the hands of other friends that'll use them again. A lot of people from the initial group buy thought they'd be good candidates for mame cabs but there's a ton of PCBs inside so a lot of people scrapped the idea. I've had 5 of them in my possession now and I have 2 more friends with them but I think this is about the last of them I'll see come up from that initial lot.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There's always OBEY avction going on in my house ;)

The story behind all the XM29s in Florida is that a theme park or something in Orlando had a bunch maybe on a video wall (some of them have the mounts to stack them opened up) and listed them on ebay about 5 years ago. A local arcade forum bought them all and so a lot of people ended up with 2 of them. I've just been picking them up from people on the forum who are tired of these huge as hell monitors in their houses then getting them in the hands of other friends that'll use them again. A lot of people from the initial group buy thought they'd be good candidates for mame cabs but there's a ton of PCBs inside so a lot of people scrapped the idea. I've had 5 of them in my possession now and I have 2 more friends with them but I think this is about the last of them I'll see come up from that initial lot.

Yodd thinks you should ship one his way.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Have two sent with one making a pit stop at my house please :D

To avoid any disappointment with the monitors failing to meet your expectations I volunteer to act as quality control, extensively testing the monitors beforehand and releasing them if and only when I am 100% sure they perform to spec :D

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Picked up 2 more XM29's yesterday so I had 3 in my house. Here's the 2 I picked up linked via RGB and playing some SFII' on Pc Engine. Sorry for the bad pics I didn't have very good lighting last night.

Damn son, nice scoop. The RGB monitors around where I live are few and far between unless you live in the LA area. :lolz:

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Anyone see anything like this?

http://youtu.be/7L0WVdPlaw8

PVM works flawlessly via component/480p.

Why would it have issues with low res stuff via RGB?

Did a factory reset via the service menu, same shit.

Nyd

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
So had this for a couple weeks but never posted. Picked up the JVC DT-V1710CG, a 17" pro monitor, 800 lines. Same one Skips had picked up but returned due to issues he had.

My camera sucks, so there is a lot more over exposure (white level) than what's really there but I'm sure everyone knows a picture can't capture the awesomeness a crt produces.

Extremely satisfied with this thing!

Last edited:

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
anyone have any tips on fixing a "keystoned" image on a PVM-2030? the image on mine is bending in at the sides towards the bottom.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Need to get some speakers for my 9" BVM. The way I got it set up, I would ideally like them to take the shape of a small soundbar, which I could place on top of the monitor.

I tried one of those cheap Music Angel sound bars:

enc_angel-music-negro.jpg

This turned out to be a total PoS since i) it turns out you do not have any possibility of volume control if you connect a device through the line in input ii) build quality is decidedly sub par

Can't really find any other such speakers which would match look and size wise and wouldn't cost a bomb. ANy suggestions?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone know which PVMs/BVMs can do 31khz video?
Can the PVM-20M4A do 31kz?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Does anyone know which PVMs/BVMs can do 31khz video?
Can the PVM-20M4A do 31kz?

AFAIR you need a model which is Multiformat (usually says so on the top right of the display bezel) e.g. a model form the BVM-D or PVM L5 range.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
AFAIR you need a model which is Multiformat (usually says so on the top right of the display bezel) e.g. a model form the BVM-D or PVM L5 range.
So, only some of the later models (which could be more expensive and harder to come by).

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Need to get some speakers for my 9" BVM. The way I got it set up, I would ideally like them to take the shape of a small soundbar, which I could place on top of the monitor.

I tried one of those cheap Music Angel sound bars

This turned out to be a total PoS since i) it turns out you do not have any possibility of volume control if you connect a device through the line in input ii) build quality is decidedly sub par

Can't really find any other such speakers which would match look and size wise and wouldn't cost a bomb. ANy suggestions?
Don't know if it'd fit your setup size wise, but I've seen this one recommended before:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKXWEW8/

No personal experience with it however.