CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Is there one that affects sharpness?

On PVMs it's typically called Aperture.

However it only affects composite and Svideo.

RGB sharpness can't be adjusted. At least not on any PVMs that I have seen.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
On PVMs it's typically called Aperture.

However it only affects composite and Svideo.

RGB sharpness can't be adjusted. At least not on any PVMs that I have seen.
The Aperture adjustment affects composite, s-video and component (everything except RGB, basically).

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
They should have a focus pot inside somewhere though, right?

As long as i can remember from looking at the manuals (never had one) i think at least some model have a pot in the flyback like you normaly find in an Arcade chassis.

slai50

New Challenger
Finally sold my XRGB mini 2 days ago, thought I would be happy playing on a big screen HDTV with the xrgb mini setup but it just doesn't look nearly as good as games on my BVMs does. Having now owned consumer Trinitrons, PVM 2530, PVM 2950Q, PVM-20L5, BVM 20F1U, BVM 20E1U and the XRGB mini, I can safely say the sony BVM 20F1U and 20E1U blows everything out of the water. The picture just looks so much rich and vibrant on these 2 monitors. So much so that I was willing to sacrifice a much larger screen size. These 2 monitors are nearly identical, the 20E1U has 900 lines of resolution compared to the 20F1U's 800. Before I started looking into PVMs and BVMs I always thought there couldn't be that much of a difference between the Trinitrons and the PVMs and BVMs but I am now a believer.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Finally sold my XRGB mini 2 days ago, thought I would be happy playing on a big screen HDTV with the xrgb mini setup but it just doesn't look nearly as good as games on my BVMs does. Having now owned consumer Trinitrons, PVM 2530, PVM 2950Q, PVM-20L5, BVM 20F1U, BVM 20E1U and the XRGB mini, I can safely say the sony BVM 20F1U and 20E1U blows everything out of the water. The picture just looks so much rich and vibrant on these 2 monitors. So much so that I was willing to sacrifice a much larger screen size. These 2 monitors are nearly identical, the 20E1U has 900 lines of resolution compared to the 20F1U's 800. Before I started looking into PVMs and BVMs I always thought there couldn't be that much of a difference between the Trinitrons and the PVMs and BVMs but I am now a believer.
So your PVMs and BVMs look better than the XRGB on a big screen HDTV?
Smaller PVMs and BVMs (20" and smaller) have better picture quality than larger ones like the 2950. This is partly because they pack more pixels into a smaller space. But it's hard to beat the bigger picture of the 29" and 32" PVMs. The Neo has big sprites that benefit from a bigger screen (like the Yamazaki stage in Fatal Fury 3, with the train going past, for example). It's obvious that when the programmers were designing these games, they were thinking of them being played on a big screen. And bigger screens have more prominent scanlines, which is better IMO. There are also the Mitsubishi MegaViews, which are bigger still (37"+).

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
The guy that I got the 9" BVM from got back to me with info about another monitor he has for sale:

bvm.jpg

Its a BVM-D14HSE - any news / info on this model? Its looks a bit over the top with all those knobs and buttons but apparently its Multiformat so it would support the higher definition newer consoles.

Worth pursuing in your view? If so what would be a fair price?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The guy that I got the 9" BVM from got back to me with info about another monitor he has for sale:

View attachment 18015

Its a BVM-D14HSE - any news / info on this model? Its looks a bit over the top with all those knobs and buttons but apparently its Multiformat so it would support the higher definition newer consoles.

Worth pursuing in your view? If so what would be a fair price?

I personally wouldn't be interested in that. Not for retrogaming, anyway. It's a 16:9 monitor, meaning that you'll be playing with black bars on the sides. Better than nothing, sure. But I'd much rather play on a 4:3 display. And that's only like a 14" display, right? So what would be the effective size of a 4:3 image? That monitor might be cool for HD gaming with newer consoles, except that it's only a 14" monitor...

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I personally wouldn't be interested in that. Not for retrogaming, anyway. It's a 16:9 monitor, meaning that you'll be playing with black bars on the sides. Better than nothing, sure. But I'd much rather play on a 4:3 display. And that's only like a 14" display, right? So what would be the effective size of a 4:3 image? That monitor might be cool for HD gaming with newer consoles, except that it's only a 14" monitor...

I also think its only worth picking up for the newer gen consoles. A few pics of a Wii running on a Multiformat PVM were posted in this thread and they looked pretty amazing and for such usage the 16:9 is an advantage since thats what all the new consoles utilise. Add to that that the Multiformat monitors are generally harder to find than the SD models. Problem is the only newish console I have is a PS3 and not too sure whether this would benefit my gaming all that much.

As for screen size, I find that for solo gaming a 14" with a HR Trinitron tube is pretty much optimal - 800 lines looks really sharp and vibrant to a greater extent than on the bigger displays. But obviously if you often have friends over etc. then a bigger display is definietly the way to go.

theshuaman

New Challenger
Did you end up getting this one? I notice it's sold already.

Ah shit...nope, was not I.
Although I'd certainly be guilty for procrastinating on matters such as this, I really think that was a steep price. But if someone was able to drop the cash, then that's cool. I'm a little low on funds right now anyway, so the timing was kind of bad altogether.
Someday...someday I will own a PVM (or whatever). I do appreciate everyone's two cents, so if there's another opportunity in the Jersey area, I know where to go for decent advice.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Finally found a PVM for sale on the cheap...The only problem is that its 13-14" only. Is this too small? Should i just keep looking & not bother...

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Finally found a PVM for sale on the cheap...The only problem is that its 13-14" only. Is this too small? Should i just keep looking & not bother...

Size is up to you. 13-14 isnt so bad in my opinion if its 1-2 feet from your face. Any farther than that and its hard for me to see.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Sweet scoop on the NEC monitors.

got any better pics of the rear of them?

Here ya go man.

I had to rotate the yoke a little bit... I wish I would have taken pictures before I did to show before/after. It was tilted BAD, like a solid half inch of tilt. In the mars matrix pic you wouldn't have seen 1p's score, and 2p's score would have been about 1cm down from the bezel. Easy fix though, thankfully.

Not a very scan-liney monitor, probably because of the EGA support, but it's still a 27" RGB monitor with nice convergence :)

All of the knobs only affect composite video input; the pots that you need a screw driver for all affect RGB. Very easy to fix width/height and placement of the picture, which is nice.

20140826_164120.jpg

20140826_164145.jpg

20140826_164213.jpg

20140826_164257.jpg

20140826_164314.jpg

20140826_164341.jpg

20140826_165339.jpg

20140826_165502.jpg

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Here ya go man.

I had to rotate the yoke a little bit... I wish I would have taken pictures before I did to show before/after. It was tilted BAD, like a solid half inch of tilt. In the mars matrix pic you wouldn't have seen 1p's score, and 2p's score would have been about 1cm down from the bezel. Easy fix though, thankfully.

Not a very scan-liney monitor, probably because of the EGA support, but it's still a 27" RGB monitor with nice convergence :)

All of the knobs only affect composite video input; the pots that you need a screw driver for all affect RGB. Very easy to fix width/height and placement of the picture, which is nice.

Holy smokes, that thing has digital and analog RGB, BOSS!

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Holy smokes, that thing has digital and analog RGB, BOSS!

You just quoted like 20MB of pictures bruh :lolz:

I have no need for digital RGB but regardless I'm very happy with the scoop, especially since I got two of them for next to nothing to save them from recycling. Gotta love university budgets, these had probably sat at Michigan State since they bought them in 1990.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
2 sets of RGB inputs! Very nice.

I wonder if the 9 pin input has just composite sync or if it has separate Horizontal and Vertical sync?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
2 sets of RGB inputs! Very nice.

I wonder if the 9 pin input has just composite sync or if it has separate Horizontal and Vertical sync?

DIP bank 2 switch 5, selects the sync type for the dsub (H/V or C)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
sweet. I didn't even notice that on the dip switch listings.