CRT Fetish Thread

theshuaman

New Challenger
Yes, that would be a good PVM to get (as long as the picture has no problems). PVMs that size are hard to get. But the price is too high. Even at that price, they might sell it quickly, though.

Yeah, I'm thinking of contacting the seller and seeing if he/she is willing to negotiate. This may very well be a chance I shouldn't let slip away...so we'll see. Bit of a long drive, though (and close to NY).

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I drove a solid 90 minutes each way for a few of my PVMs but the price was right.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Joe8, most pvm models have in/out BNC. Just run to the in on one monitor, then get normal BNC cables to run the outs to the other monitor.

I.e. system to BNC RGB IN on one monitor, then that monitors RGB OUT to RGB IN on the 2nd monitor via normal BNC cables.

Spoken like a true prodigy ;)

P1010888.JPG

What is cool is that you do not need to have the 'master' monitor switched on for the one daisy chained in to recieve an image.

Picture shows a BVM-14M4DE and a BVM-9044D. In case anybody is on the fence as to whether its worth getting the smaller models e.g. a 9" screen I say HELL YEAH :-J Picture quality is really sharp, they are really compact and fit well on a desk - nice ticket for solo gaming if space is an issue. Just be sure to get one that has RGB in since a lot of the smaller ones don't. My one has RGB and is a HR-Trinitron but does not have a built in speaker - easily sorted with a small soundbar or pair of stereo speakers since the mono speaker usually onboard the PVM / BVM's isn't that hot anyway.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Dat Shmup forum deal.

Save the PVM's!

I just went to pick up two of the NEC 27" monitors. not xm29 but cm29 I believe. Can't find any docs online about em, but they do have RGBS BNC input.

I could only test them there with composite video, but I'm about to dig out a dreamcast that I made a custom cable for which should use clean sync. We'll see what happens... They looked to be in decent shape just testing with cvid :D

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Here is my current setup. PVM 2950Q for the console stuff, and a PVM 1953MD for the supergun. I wish the 2950Q would have better sync like the smaller one, but works fine with all consoles when I use a sync stripper. Found both locally for $40 each (TekYard).
IMAG1171.jpgIMAG1172.jpg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
aw shit son... tested one of the two NEC CM-2791's I was just lucky enough to save from recycling. It would not sync with my dreamcast even though I made a custom cable with csync directly. The cable has always worked great on my PVM, so I was getting discouraged, but I tried a JAMMA board and it worked!

Cannot wait to tate this mofo

20140822_194637.jpg.jpg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
My second came from you. :D I'm absolutely loving the 20" PVM skate, totally worth driving up to get it. Once I tweak my setup the way I want it I'll snap some pics.

Glad it went to a loving home :) You're welcome back to game sometime.

edit; couple more pics of the new NEC. I didn't tate it yet just rotated the photo.

20140822_204115.jpg.jpg

20140822_201634.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I just went to pick up two of the NEC 27" monitors. not xm29 but cm29 I believe. Can't find any docs online about em, but they do have RGBS BNC input.

I could only test them there with composite video, but I'm about to dig out a dreamcast that I made a custom cable for which should use clean sync. We'll see what happens... They looked to be in decent shape just testing with cvid :D
You know you want to sell one to me. :)

Where on earth did you find those?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
You know you want to sell one to me. :)

Where on earth did you find those?

Can't even do it lol. Too incredible of a chance to let one go.

Anyway, a guy posted on shmups, adderall pinged me, I went and got them. They were literally about to be recycled by MSU.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sweet scoop on the NEC monitors.

got any better pics of the rear of them?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Sweet scoop on the NEC monitors.

got any better pics of the rear of them?

When I get a few I'll photo / document them. Will probably make a thread for it. The dips are mapped on the back, even has a SoG dip.

DC is being wierd. If I put the monitor on cvid mode, and plug my csync in to the AV in, it gets a very faint perfectly synced monochrome picture, but RGB won't sync with it. I may need a lm1881, but all the jamma boards I've tried sync just fine.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Couple pics of the 2950Q with the Final Fight PCB

P1010114.jpg

P1010116.jpg

I <3 scanlines.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Finally got around to tweaking the colors on the last PVM I got a couple of months ago.
IMG_3317.JPG

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Wow that looks gorgeous. I wish I could take pictures of a CRT that well. All mine end up looking like shit even when using the TV refresh speed setting on my camera.