CRT Fetish Thread

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
You mean besides your poor advice like telling people to just combine H+V sync with a Y adapter? loool. Good way to destroy their machines video circuitry.

edit: However I will admit your site has got a lot better and many of the mods show far better craftsmanship than before. Some of them before looked straight up Drakon like.

I don't think combining these signals will cause damage to a monitor, not a PVM anyway. A couple of years back I did an analysis of this and you can see what the signals look like here:

http://www.epromfoundry.com/home/

I will say that using an active circuit to generate a proper sync signal works a bit better and I have had some boards made that do this. They power from the VGA port and generate the signal you seen in the second scope capture on that link. The advantage is quicker sync response when a game changes resolution. For example the screen will lock instantly when you quit a 320x240 game and exit back to the advancemame menu. When you just combine the signals it takes it about a 1/2 second to sync the screen.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I was talking about damaging the circuitry in the computer or game device or whatever was generating the H+V signals rather than the monitor.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I was talking about damaging the circuitry in the computer or game device or whatever was generating the H+V signals rather than the monitor.

That is a possible, although I have not seen this happen myself. I will say that I've had cheap Radeon cards wired like that for weeks on end with no failures but now I just use the active circuit which doesn't just combine the signals.

Yeah, I know Skips had contacted you regarding some of the, shall we say, poorer looking mods. This scene is dominated by modders like Drakon who literally don't give a shit about craftsmanship and will just encase everything in hotglue. And if you show people, who don't know any better, this they will think it's normal and acceptable. Which it is not. This is something, here on this site, that we take pride in showing off with better modding practices. I just had a look over your site again and you have really upped the quality of your mods.

Thank you.

As far as the H+V sync goes, there are both simple circuits and sophisticated devices (like the Extron SS200) that will combine them into proper composite sync. By just connected the two together via a T you are putting a unsafe load on the graphics hardware that could potentially lead to failure. Will it work? Yeah, usually does. Recommended for long time. No.

Composite sync isn't just literally H+V twisted together. They need to be muxed together in a specific way as to not cause issues.

I will say that using an active circuit to generate a proper sync signal works a bit better and I have had some boards made that do this. They power from the VGA port and generate the signal you seen in the second scope capture on that link. The advantage is quicker sync response when a game changes resolution. For example the screen will lock instantly when you quit a 320x240 game and exit back to the advancemame menu. When you just combine the signals it takes it about a 1/2 second to sync the screen.

Mike, do you have a link to an active circuit diagram? Also, do you plan on making and selling those adapter boards?

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I never posted a schematic of my board. If there's interest I could build some. The parts aren't the expensive but the labor would be. I'd likely charge $30/brd if I can have them built locally.

Mike

Mike, do you have a link to an active circuit diagram? Also, do you plan on making and selling those adapter boards?[/QUOTE]

Psxed

n00b
Is there any information out there how to calibrate these CRT's? I can't seem to get the image straight lol.

Psxed

n00b
Thanks for the thread, i have seen that one a few times. Too bad my manual wasn't between them and i had to buy it for 5$ (BVM-2010P). Skate323k137 if you would like to add that manual to your list send me a PM and i'll send you the pdf (for free of course :P).

My problem is that i'm turning all my potmeters (H weight, V weight, Side Pin tilt, T/B Bal etc) but tbh i have no idea what i'm doing.. :lolz: I can get the image decent but nowhere near perfect, it's always a little bit crooked or tilted. Since everything is analog on my BVM i can't reset everything to default so i'm kinda screwed without some extra information.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Ok not a PVM, but still a damn nice monitor.

Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the horizontal or vertical width on the JVC TM-H1750CGU? I don't see a way to do it through the menu and when I cracked it open I didn't see any adjusts on the boards.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Thanks for the thread, i have seen that one a few times. Too bad my manual wasn't between them and i had to buy it for 5$ (BVM-2010P). Skate323k137 if you would like to add that manual to your list send me a PM and i'll send you the pdf (for free of course :P).

My problem is that i'm turning all my potmeters (H weight, V weight, Side Pin tilt, T/B Bal etc) but tbh i have no idea what i'm doing.. :lolz: I can get the image decent but nowhere near perfect, it's always a little bit crooked or tilted. Since everything is analog on my BVM i can't reset everything to default so i'm kinda screwed without some extra information.

Are you using a grid screen to adjust? There is one in the 240p test suite, http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite#Grid

Psxed

n00b
Are you using a grid screen to adjust? There is one in the 240p test suite, http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite#Grid

I'm using the built in grid because i have no way of booting that test suite. I own a nes/snes/genesis but not a flashcart for any of them and i don't have a dreamcast and gamecube/wii anymore.. I'm gonna buy a dreamcast again but until then no test suite.

edit: I made my 900 lines BVM look worse than my PVM 600 lines model.. I really need to use that test suite :lolz:

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Is it possible to run two PVM monitors from a single VGA->BNC cable? For example, by using a double adaptor for the BNC connectors (i.e., converting one set of male BNC connectors to two), or a double adaptor for the VGA connector?

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Joe8, most pvm models have in/out BNC. Just run to the in on one monitor, then get normal BNC cables to run the outs to the other monitor.

I.e. system to BNC RGB IN on one monitor, then that monitors RGB OUT to RGB IN on the 2nd monitor via normal BNC cables.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I generally don't know very much about this stuff, so some advice would be great.

Would anyone say that this PVM is "sponge worthy?"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111415765614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Oh, and if anyone else has already posted something about this, then my apologies for the redundancy.

lol I saw this listing a week or so ago. No way is it worth $600. Even in as nice condition as it is.

Considering it looks damn near mint, the most I would offer is $200 and that's ONLY if you can pick it up AND if you can first thoroughly test it.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Lol, whenever someone mentions the original retail price of a PVM in the listing they're trying to raep you.

theshuaman

New Challenger
lol I saw this listing a week or so ago. No way is it worth $600. Even in as nice condition as it is.

Considering it looks damn near mint, the most I would offer is $200 and that's ONLY if you can pick it up AND if you can first thoroughly test it.

Yeah man, that's exactly what I thought. Seemed a bit pricey. But as I said, I don't know enough to make a proper judgment.
I also would like to know what the thoughts are on that particular model PVM. It appears to be pretty sweet.
And I can indeed do a pick-up as it is in my home state. No secret that most people would rather not ship a monitor, let alone one of that size. So anytime I see some sort of opportunity, I think of jumping on it.

Psxed

n00b
Funny to see the price differences between the US and my country. I can't get rid of my PVM which is in a good state and i'm asking 25$ for it lol.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I also would like to know what the thoughts are on that particular model PVM.

I have the same model PVM 2950Q as my main gaming display. It's a fantastic large display. It's essentially a 29inch Arcade monitor like you would see in a Neo Candy Cab or similar.

Be warned, it's fucking heavy. Weighs about 120 pounds and almost all that weight is in the front of the monitor where the tube is.

Check my last couple posts in this thread for some images of my 2950 setup.

theshuaman

New Challenger
I have the same model PVM 2950Q as my main gaming display. It's a fantastic large display. It's essentially a 29inch Arcade monitor like you would see in a Neo Candy Cab or similar.

Be warned, it's fucking heavy. Weighs about 120 pounds and almost all that weight is in the front of the monitor where the tube is.

Check my last couple posts in this thread for some images of my 2950 setup.

Thank you, I'll definitely have a look. I think the thing that attracted me the most was indeed the screen size. I'm positive the sucker is heavy, but it is what it is.
So let me ask you this...have you played anything on it via TATE mode? I have never done such a thing and have always desired to do so. Not sure if the weight would be a major factor or not. The cube like frame of the structure seems ideal for that kind of situation since there's just about no way it would fall over.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thank you, I'll definitely have a look. I think the thing that attracted me the most was indeed the screen size. I'm positive the sucker is heavy, but it is what it is.
So let me ask you this...have you played anything on it via TATE mode? I have never done such a thing and have always desired to do so. Not sure if the weight would be a major factor or not. The cube like frame of the structure seems ideal for that kind of situation since there's just about no way it would fall over.

I haven't Tate'd mine, but it would work fine since it is a cube.

I would love to find a 2nd 2950 for just that reason. Dedicated Vert monitor.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I haven't Tate'd mine, but it would work fine since it is a cube.

I would love to find a 2nd 2950 for just that reason. Dedicated Vert monitor.

That's how I've setup my 2 PVM 2030's. I notice a slight green tint on the top of the monitor when I rotate it however. They are ancient so I never bothered tracking down what the issue might be.

cyb

n00b
Forgive me CRT brothers, for I have sinned. I bought a framemeister! It looks really nice on my 55" sony tv. I won't be throwing out my CRTs just yet though. I believe they can co-exist peacefully. Honestly if I was lucky enough to find a 2950 like broken's I'd probably sell the framemeister in a heartbeat. :keke:

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I'd gladly perform that sin if I ever found a framemeister at a decent price :)

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I generally don't know very much about this stuff, so some advice would be great.

Would anyone say that this PVM is "sponge worthy?"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111415765614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Oh, and if anyone else has already posted something about this, then my apologies for the redundancy.
Yes, that would be a good PVM to get (as long as the picture has no problems). PVMs that size are hard to get. But the price is too high. Even at that price, they might sell it quickly, though.

Last edited: