CRT Fetish Thread

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Speaking of, after I've made changes, I'm hitting "degauss" then the screen says "write" and then I hit enter. Stuff doesn't seem to be sticking though.
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to hit the degauss button again instead of pressing Enter.

Psxed

n00b
Here are some photo's of my BVM-2010P. I really need a testgrid, too bad i don't have my dreamcast anymore or else i could burn that test-cd..

Foto%2018-08-14%2023%2029%2041.jpg

Foto%2018-08-14%2021%2021%2054.jpg

Foto%2018-08-14%2023%2028%2022.jpg

Foto%2018-08-14%2023%2030%2022.jpg

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Congrats on the scoop.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That site is full of bad info and shitty tech practices.

Take everything said there with a huge grain of salt.

Also, it's already been mentioned in this thread a couple times.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Quick question, I picked up an AES SCART cable from another member yesterday and was planning on using it on a Genesis 1 I have coming. I was reading some threads and it seems that a couple pins are slightly spaced differently between the two ( I think 6 and 7). Is there a method I can use to slightly adjust these so it will fit? I read somewhere heating it up and moving them might work. If not where can I get a DIN that would fit the Genesis 1 that I could replace the existing one with? Thanks for the help.

Edit: Also could there be a resistance difference on the AES cable vs Genesis?

Last edited:

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Quick question, I picked up an AES SCART cable from another member yesterday and was planning on using it on a Genesis 1 I have coming. I was reading some threads and it seems that a couple pins are slightly spaced differently between the two ( I think 6 and 7). Is there a method I can use to slightly adjust these so it will fit? I read somewhere heating it up and moving them might work. If not where can I get a DIN that would fit the Genesis 1 that I could replace the existing one with? Thanks for the help.

Edit: Also could there be a resistance difference on the AES cable vs Genesis?

Pretty sure the din pin out is different. Only the composite cables are interchangeable.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member

Really? Why is that? I always found it an interesting read.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Pretty sure the din pin out is different. Only the composite cables are interchangeable.
The pinout is the same, it's just that the pin arrangement is slightly different (the AES uses a 270 degree DIN, the Genesis a 262 degree DIN). I actually modded my AES to accept Genesis/SMS RGB cables by swapping the DIN jack (and replacing the resistors and caps related to the RGB signals with jumpers) mainly because I was a little impatient and wanted to use the cables I already had.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
The pinout is the same, it's just that the pin arrangement is slightly different (the AES uses a 270 degree DIN, the Genesis a 262 degree DIN). I actually modded my AES to accept Genesis/SMS RGB cables by swapping the DIN jack (and replacing the resistors and caps related to the RGB signals with jumpers) mainly because I was a little impatient and wanted to use the cables I already had.

Ok so it is a little more complex than just replacing the DIN jack, thanks for the info. It looks liek the one they sell online has some resistors to keep the picture from getting too bright as well. I might just order a new cable =)

Last edited:

dinomite

n00b
The PVM 2950 as it is currently setup (please excuse the poor photos):

IMG_2115.JPG

What game is this? Nice setup man! The colors on these monitors are just insane, the RGB output looks so incredible from these pictures, I can't wait to see it in person. I just recently bought a PVM-20M2U, can't wait for it to arrive and run the SNES through it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What game is this? Nice setup man! The colors on these monitors are just insane, the RGB output looks so incredible from these pictures, I can't wait to see it in person. I just recently bought a PVM-20M2U, can't wait for it to arrive and run the SNES through it.

Pulstar on the Neo Geo.

Looks even better in real life.

Can you explain why you feel my site is full of bad info? Have you found something on there to be inaccurate, or are you just one of those people that would rather say something negative instead of positive?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You mean besides your poor advice like telling people to just combine H+V sync with a Y adapter? loool. Good way to destroy their machines video circuitry.

edit: However I will admit your site has got a lot better and many of the mods show far better craftsmanship than before. Some of them before looked straight up Drakon like.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Can you explain why you feel my site is full of bad info? Have you found something on there to be inaccurate, or are you just one of those people that would rather say something negative instead of positive?

My favorite was when you totally missed the botched capacitor on the Retron 5's pcb and instead criticized the Retron 5's soldering when your snes RGB mini jobs were pretty craggy themselves (at least the old pictures were, haven't been there in a while).

http://retrorgb.com/teardown.html

Last edited:

Ragnorok64

n00b
You mean besides your poor advice like telling people to just combine H+V sync with a Y adapter? loool. Good way to destroy their machines video circuitry.

edit: However I will admit your site has got a lot better and many of the mods show far better craftsmanship than before. Some of them before looked straight up Drakon like.

What site(s) do you recommend as a comprehensive reference?

The only place I remember adding that info is for using 15KHz video cards on a Sony PVM. How exactly would that "destroy their machines"? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm literally asking.

I originally had mixed feelings about that. I thought I was helping by showing "beginner tricks" that might help people who had the intention of modding one console, then never touching a soldering iron again. I assumed people who were good with electronics would know to use the proper methods and people who wanted to start modding would learn the right ways to do it. I was totally wrong and wish I showed the "right" way from the beginning.

Skips and I had a whole conversation about this...he pointed out that while those guides might be okay for the few "one and done" modders, for everyone else it was promoting bad techniques. He then sent me an awesome video teaching the proper way to solder, which I now link to on every one of my mod pages. I also re-did all the pics for each mod and tried to clean everything up as good as I could. I'm by no means an "expert modder", but I've started to take my time on each mod and do them all right.

My favorite was when you totally missed the botched capacitor on the Retron 5's pcb

Did I?

I gotta be honest, I wanted to get the review up ASAP, since so many people were asking about it. UPS dropped off the Retron 5 around 4PM that day and I worked till about midnight doing all the tests, taking all the comparison pictures & videos and then writing it all up. I was pretty brain dead by the time I posted the teardown and although I've been updating the review, I never bothered to update the teardown, since my replacement unit looked identical to the original.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yeah, I know Skips had contacted you regarding some of the, shall we say, poorer looking mods. This scene is dominated by modders like Drakon who literally don't give a shit about craftsmanship and will just encase everything in hotglue. And if you show people, who don't know any better, this they will think it's normal and acceptable. Which it is not. This is something, here on this site, that we take pride in showing off with better modding practices. I just had a look over your site again and you have really upped the quality of your mods.

As far as the H+V sync goes, there are both simple circuits and sophisticated devices (like the Extron SS200) that will combine them into proper composite sync. By just connected the two together via a T you are putting a unsafe load on the graphics hardware that could potentially lead to failure. Will it work? Yeah, usually does. Recommended for long time. No.

Composite sync isn't just literally H+V twisted together. They need to be muxed together in a specific way as to not cause issues.

Last edited: