Page 299 of 300 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300 LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 7480

Thread: CRT Fetish Thread

Amano's Drinking Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DanAdamKOF View Post
    As mentioned above, you need to feed it clean csync. I haven't had sync issues with mine. I use a Sync Strike which strips sync.
    I have a sync strike for it (Arcade Forge with LM1881). The strike used to work OK with the 2950, and it worked with a PVM with one ext sync connector. The 2950 has two connectors, one for horizontal and one for vertical, so I don't know how it could be composite sync if it's split into two connectors. Maybe the strike worked with the other PVM because it only had one connector.
    The 2950 also used to work with RGB output from a PS2, but not anymore.
    Last edited by joe8; 12-17-2019 at 06:13 AM.
    Shock Troopers high score- 17,364,600

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

HSync is used for either HSync, when also used with VSync, or used for CSync. So you just feed CSync into HSync and it should be fine. There's a page in the manual that goes over how this works IIRC.

I have a few professional RGB monitors in my stable. I have a 20" sony pvm for a gamecube and my sons Sega Pico and I have a 29" Sony PGM-200R1U for my retro systems and laserdisc player. I was using bose 201 bookshelf speakers with it but upgraded to a Yamaha YSP-800 w/ 21 tweeters and 2 woofers. It's a bit of an upgrade.

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

Got a PVM-14M4U recently. It has a cold joint somewhere in the green path that I need to touch up, but luckily for me it seems to work fine after warming up. This is only getting used when I host meetups so I can deal with that for now. I feel like this tube needs a little bit of focus adjustment as well.

Used the integrated splitter to share the signal with my PVM-14L5, just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogg-Father

found a little Toshiba 14AF44 the other day...

Those late model Toshibas are sweet. Don't let the secret out.

Dogg-Father

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Those late model Toshibas are sweet. Don't let the secret out.
    the AFs are noice AF...

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

I always wanted a video wall in my GameRoom. I finally set it up! My 20” PVM, 2 14” PVMs, (and a cheap LCD TV)...

NEST Puppet

Sorry for the crappy smartphone photos... but I've recently dusted off my Philips CM8833 (good old friend of my Amiga days) to test my jamma boards, and what an absolute joy it still is.

When you get used to LCD screens you kinda forget how vibrant a CRT can look (and this was just a quick test, didn't tinker much with settings). The pics don't make it justice.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Neodogg View Post
    found a little Toshiba 14AF44 the other day...

Quote Originally Posted by NERDtendo View Post
    I always wanted a video wall in my GameRoom. I finally set it up! My 20” PVM, 2 14” PVMs, (and a cheap LCD TV)...

Quote Originally Posted by Catoblepa View Post
    Sorry for the crappy smartphone photos... but I've recently dusted off my Philips CM8833 (good old friend of my Amiga days) to test my jamma boards, and what an absolute joy it still is.

When you get used to LCD screens you kinda forget how vibrant a CRT can look (and this was just a quick test, didn't tinker much with settings). The pics don't make it justice.

A big bag of sweetness.

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    A big bag of sweetness.
    Thanks Razo 👍 I'll try takin' better pics next time, got a few sweet PCBs to test

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Thanks Razo �� I'll try takin' better pics next time, got a few sweet PCBs to test
    No matter how many images I see of Vewlix cabs, Ossc and FM setups to newer TVs it just doesnt look the same with retro stuff. CRT will always be king for classics.

NEST Puppet

No matter how many images I see of Vewlix cabs, Ossc and FM setups to newer TVs it just doesnt look the same with retro stuff. CRT will always be king for classics.
    Couldn't agree more. And why chase the perfect scanline simulation on your flat panel when you can get the real thing, dirt cheap (besides PVMs)? Doesn't even need to be a huge CRT, in fact I think 14" is the perfect size for gaming.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Couldn't agree more. And why chase the perfect scanline simulation on your flat panel when you can get the real thing, dirt cheap (besides PVMs)? Doesn't even need to be a huge CRT, in fact I think 14" is the perfect size for gaming.
    I'm playing on a 14 inch Ikegami and I like it. I prefer 20. I think 20 is the perfect size but I'm down to only one and trying to preserve it lol. I still have a 27 inch Wega but haven't used it in a long time. Great picture but doesn't do rgb but still good for scart to component.

NEST Puppet

I'm playing on a 14 inch Ikegami and I like it. I prefer 20. I think 20 is the perfect size but I'm down to only one and trying to preserve it lol. I still have a 27 inch Wega but haven't used it in a long time. Great picture but doesn't do rgb but still good for scart to component.
    Yeah, I feel the sweet spot is something between 14" and 20" (that's the size of my arcade monitor); not sayin' a 32" CRT is bad, but you can't get too close. I still have my 16:9 32" Grundig in the basement, huge beast... it was incredible for the few PS2 games that supported widescreen (Time Crisis 2, for example).

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Yeah, I feel the sweet spot is something between 14" and 20" (that's the size of my arcade monitor); not sayin' a 32" CRT is bad, but you can't get too close. I still have my 16:9 32" Grundig in the basement, huge beast... it was incredible for the few PS2 games that supported widescreen (Time Crisis 2, for example).
    Yea you need a bigger CRT for light gun shooters. Especially if you want to back up and play standing. That's the way I like to play them.

NEST Puppet

Yea you need a bigger CRT for light gun shooters. Especially if you want to back up and play standing. That's the way I like to play them.
    Same here... loved them, before CRTs went out of fashion, light guns ceased to work and crappy/laggy motion control ruined the whole genre! Had lots of fun with Point Blank on PS1, playing against my friends. For Time Crisis, I used to put the Namco arcade stick on the floor and pushed the buttons with my foot, as pedal, to hide and reload... it's surprisingly effective! Of course it's best if you take your shoes off. Great memories.
    Last edited by Catoblepa; 03-18-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

We were playing Time Crisis 3 at my monthly Game Night this month... I love gun games!

Mr. Big's Thug

I've got an opportunity for a $15 KV-36FS100 Trinitron local to me. Supposedly no issues to speak of. Does anyone have any experience with these big bois? Ive had a small trinitron before and I liked it, as well as a 2 PVMs that Ive since sold. I wanted something physically larger than most PVMs go that would be good for couch co op gaming mostly 16 and 32 bit stuff like Genesis and Saturn.

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by HugoStiglitz View Post
    I have a few professional RGB monitors in my stable. I have a 20" sony pvm for a gamecube and my sons Sega Pico and I have a 29" Sony PGM-200R1U for my retro systems and laserdisc player. I was using bose 201 bookshelf speakers with it but upgraded to a Yamaha YSP-800 w/ 21 tweeters and 2 woofers. It's a bit of an upgrade.
    That is the peak console lineup hooked up to the flatscreen. Perfect amount of classic consoles, underrated tech (X'Eye/Saturn) and just a touch of autism (Jag/3d0)
    Last edited by Capitalistix; 03-21-2020 at 02:15 AM.

A 36" flat Trinitron weighs 250 pounds, whoever has it should be paying you to take it away. I had a 27FS100 for a while and the display was very nice, I never noticed or was bothered by the geometry issues characterstic with flat tube CRTs while it was in use.

However, I was able to source a 32" Toshiba curved tube made around 2005 (s-vid and component inputs) and it actually weighed less than that 27" Sony, with the same clarity. Sony is also notorious for doing things their own way which needlessly complicate the fuck out of the internals and it can make working on them a real chore. 2 or 3 layers of daughterboards when you just need a neckboard and chassis. The FS100 series also cannot be modified for RGB input (which I was able to easily do with the Toshiba) though that's not really a deal breaker.

Cool, I had the same Monitor from my Amiga and I used it for my first Neo in the 90s I found it on an old VHS Video
    C33DBADF-98A6-4055-B67C-11A841108AAD.jpeg

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    A 36" flat Trinitron weighs 250 pounds, whoever has it should be paying you to take it away. I had a 27FS100 for a while and the display was very nice, I never noticed or was bothered by the geometry issues characterstic with flat tube CRTs while it was in use.

However, I was able to source a 32" Toshiba curved tube made around 2005 (s-vid and component inputs) and it actually weighed less than that 27" Sony, with the same clarity. Sony is also notorious for doing things their own way which needlessly complicate the fuck out of the internals and it can make working on them a real chore. 2 or 3 layers of daughterboards when you just need a neckboard and chassis. The FS100 series also cannot be modified for RGB input (which I was able to easily do with the Toshiba) though that's not really a deal breaker.
    I remember reading about that somewhere, is it issues with scrollers like sonic, since I assume they were developed with curved glass in mind?

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TK86079 View Post
    Cool, I had the same Monitor from my Amiga and I used it for my first Neo in the 90s I found it on an old VHS Video
    C33DBADF-98A6-4055-B67C-11A841108AAD.jpeg
    A picture of a CRT inside a CRT? Can't get more Fetish than this
    All jokes aside, this particular Philips model was really the monitor of choice for us Amiga gamers here in Europe, and it holds up incredibly well even today! I'd say it's the same quality of an arcade monitor (after all, Hantarex used Philips tubes, for example).
    PVMs are fantastic, but if you're talking "bang for the buck" I don't think you can do better than this.
    I can't imagine how cool it would've been to play a NeoGeo AES on the CM8833 back in the 90s, you're a lucky guy
    Last edited by Catoblepa; 03-21-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Yes back then I really loved that Monitor because it was possible to adjust the the picture perfectly, so you never lost any pixel behind the plastic, even when it is small, I miss it much

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TK86079 View Post
    Yes back then I really loved that Monitor because it was possible to adjust the the picture perfectly, so you never lost any pixel behind the plastic, even when it is small, I miss it much
    Yeah, the trimmers in the back panel offered a lot of picture control (not as much as an arcade monitor or a PVM, like cushion or trapezoid correction, but it was more than enough).

I used to enlarge the picture for windowed Amiga games, to make them look full screen... the scanlines became huge, but it was still a nice trick

Thread Information