CRT Fetish Thread

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Holy crap, that is some school yard made up shit if I ever heard it hahah
I've had two devices where the s-video has failed after a while (but the composite still works on those). So I'm not making it up.

WTF are you talking about? In most cases its the same god damned chip/components as composite that generates the Chroma and Luma signals. The pins only bend in the S-video connected if you are being an idiot, don't he-man the connected into the port the wrong way and you wont have that problem. Seriously look information up before talking out your ass, about 90% of the stuff you just said is 100% bullshit.
Something must have gone wrong with the technology inside the DVD player or TV, if composite works, but s-video doesn't work any more.

Last edited:

Psxed

n00b
Just a heads up for anyone in the pal region. I bought this RGB cable for my wii http://www.ebay.nl/itm/281411902858?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 And the colors didn't seem right. So i had to slice the whole thing open to check the wiring and compared it to this diagram http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/wii.png Well everything was wired up completely different and the worse thing was everything was sealed with hot glue.. It took me 2 hours to fix this damn cable but it's working perfectly now.

IMG_20140906_131816.png

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've had two devices where the s-video has failed after a while (but the composite still works on those). So I'm not making it up.

Sometimes you don't have enough light to see which way the s-video connector should go. I suppose you can use a torch, but it can still be difficult, as the pins are small and hard to see.
Something must have gone wrong with the technology inside the DVD player or TV, if composite works, but s-video doesn't work any more.

Does your mommy know you are using her internet?

Psxed

n00b
How hard can it be to insert a s-video connector, did you skip the building blocks lesson in kindergarten lol

SquarePeg-RoundHole.jpg

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

Yeah its called capacitors go bad numb nuts, its just as likely for it to happen to the composite circuit too. It has nothing to do with s-video. So yes, you are making shit up. It just so happens your lack on knowledge on how this shit works prevents you from seeing this. Holy shit dude, just stop fucking arguing with people. Like OMFG said, you are out of your god damned league.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

So because you experienced 2 devices failing on the S-Video end, Composite is better? You realize both Composite and S-Video are one Color line so they have to both be encoded. Thus the single advantage S-Video has is it's dedicated Luminance line over Composite.

This is just like the other thread regarding OLED, LCD, CRT. You are just full of shit.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I'll admit that I've bent pins on an s-video cable before, but that's because I was trying to jam it in blind and the socket wasn't in the orientation I was expecting (why isn't that a standard?). Still, s-video is a million times better than composite (unless you've got an old computer that relies on artifacted colors), but the jump from s-video to RGB is a much smaller difference.

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Just a heads up for anyone in the pal region. I bought this RGB cable for my wii http://www.ebay.nl/itm/281411902858?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 And the colors didn't seem right. So i had to slice the whole thing open to check the wiring and compared it to this diagram http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/wii.png Well everything was wired up completely different and the worse thing was everything was sealed with hot glue.. It took me 2 hours to fix this damn cable but it's working perfectly now.

IMG_20140906_131816.png

Thanks,

Hearing about your hardship makes me happy I splurged (13 quid) for an official wii) RGB Scart.

I ordered one from some Chinese outfit but it never showed up, I guess I'm better off.

Nyd

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'll admit that I've bent pins on an s-video cable before, but that's because I was trying to jam it in blind and the socket wasn't in the orientation I was expecting (why isn't that a standard?). Still, s-video is a million times better than composite (unless you've got an old computer that relies on artifacted colors), but the jump from s-video to RGB is a much smaller difference.

I remember the first S-video cable I ever had I bent the pin because I stupidly jammed it in wrong lol. Never again.

I still MUCH prefer S-video over composite, I had my dreamcast hooked up to a PVM via S-video and my jaw dropped at how gorgeous the picture was. If someone told me it was RGB I wouldn't have doubted them.

S-video isn't "unreliable" people certainly can be.

Nyd

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I remember upgrading to a composite TV and thinking it was awesome. Then blowing my tax return on a 27" Panasonic with S-video years later and being blown away. It's fun to relive those feelings when I fire up my PVM. We are so spoiled now it isn't funny. :D

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Funny how most of us that did bend a pin on a S-video jack is due to a one time negligent incident many years ago, lol. Some TVs, like my RCA didn't really have a good guiding build to the socket. Also, that particular SNES/N64 jack I used was off-brand (Nyko I think) and had a thicker outer part of the jack. Never had a problem since that lesson I have learned that day.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I learned my lesson busting the pin off of the RF adapter for my model 2 Genesis years ago. Since that model used a proprietary connector, I couldn't use any of the other old RF cables I had lying around. I remember having to shell out $20 for a new one. :( I wasn't ingenious enough in those days to operate on it. That learned me good.

I hate the S-video connection jack. its especially not fun in the middle of the night trying to half blindly get behind a tv and awkwardly plug one in in a low light environment. I agree it beats the hell out of composite. on some PVM's & BVM's the S-video looks especially good. close to RGB.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I hate the S-video connection jack. its especially not fun in the middle of the night trying to half blindly get behind a tv and awkwardly plug one in in a low light environment. I agree it beats the hell out of composite. on some PVM's & BVM's the S-video looks especially good. close to RGB.

I think a lot of it is also down to the actual encoder in the system. At least from my experience these vastly differ in quality e.g. the stock PC Engine Coregrafx has really crappy composite output, while of all things a Mega Drive X (Sega Megadrive / Genesis clone) has composite which easily beats the majority of authentic systems connected via S-video in terms of overall picture quality.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
In the hierarchy of video connections ( rf > composite > svideo > component > rgb ) going from composite to svideo is by far the biggest jump in quality. However, this is only true for systems that have native support for svideo. The svideo hacks for Genesis and Neo Geo AES still leave lots of room for improvement, so they benefit a lot more from RGB than a SNES or Playstation .

I think a lot of it is also down to the actual encoder in the system. At least from my experience these vastly differ in quality e.g. the stock PC Engine Coregrafx has really crappy composite output, while of all things a Mega Drive X (Sega Megadrive / Genesis clone) has composite which easily beats the majority of authentic systems connected via S-video in terms of overall picture quality.

That seems backwards to me. I always saw the Genesis' composite output as an artifact filled mess, while the PC engine's composite looked really clean.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That seems backwards to me. I always saw the Genesis' composite output as an artifact filled mess, while the PC engine's composite looked really clean.

I think he is talking about a clone Genesis system.

But yeah, the PCE has always had stellar composite video quality. Better than pretty much anything else from the same era.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I think he is talking about a clone Genesis system.

But yeah, the PCE has always had stellar composite video quality. Better than pretty much anything else from the same era.

Ahh, that was a major brainfart. I read "of all things a mega drive x..." As "all megadrives"

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

Dunno, maybe it was a relative thing since when I was running the PCE on composite all the other 'retro' systems I had around were running RGB (SNES, NG, Mega Drive). The PCE composite seemed pretty dodgy though - washed out colours, blurry and kind of jumpy (e.g. when viewing the menu screens on the Everdrive up close) and to be honest I only really started enjoying the system after the RGB mod - without it I probably wouldn't have given it the time of day.
I might have another look at this e.g. by comparing the PCE composite to that of the SNES since I have a SNES composite cable around somewhere, using e.g. SF2 for comparison but at the end of the day when you have RGB this kind of stuff is pretty redundant - bit like comparing which one of two turds smells better :D

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
A couple weeks ago I ran both Genesis and turbo duo in composite, there was no comparison, the turbo composite was leagues better.

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary

y'know he might be right, the technology inside the DVD player or TV is notoriously unreliable. probably best to take it to your local technology inside the DVD player or TV repairman. that stuff's pretty technical.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
A couple weeks ago I ran both Genesis and turbo duo in composite, there was no comparison, the turbo composite was leagues better.

Since both the SNES and PCE are using cvideo for sync I run a cable from ext sync out to composite in on the BVM and did a quick test comparing the picture quality - PCE was indeed a whole lot better. Could not replicate the test with the Megadrive since I modded the system to output csync for the sync for use with the official Sega adapteur r.v.b. scart cable.