CRT Fetish Thread

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Very nice SilverRock I also like the big ass speakers on the side of the CRTs. Sometimes people get preoccupied with the video and forget about the audio.

What's the best CRT in everyone's opinion? I've had my eye on the NEC XM29 for a while, but it pops up maybe once every 2 months for $1k+

Dragon89o

New Challenger
What's the best CRT in everyone's opinion? I've had my eye on the NEC XM29 for a while, but it pops up maybe once every 2 months for $1k+

Honestly it depends on your needs and wants. What consoles are you planning to play on it? Also what size are you fine with something around 20' or do you want something larger?

Nec is a good monitor I like it but I think it's a bit over hyped. The BVM-24' is razor sharp but it's even more expensive. If you are fine with 240p/480i there are some really good PVMs where I don't think the BVM is justified for the price difference.

ScottyJayy

n00b
Hello all!

first post,

ive lurked here for a little while, only recently have i started hunting the Sony PVM/BVM and their cousins.

im going to check out these two PVM's this weekend,
https://providence.craigslist.org/vgm/d/professional-video-monitors/6598413077.html
seem like a good deal,
PVM-1380 - composite only
PVM-1344Q- damaged case, and takes a bit to warm up.

they seem legit for the price.

advice please!

https://docs.sony.com/release/pvm1344Q.pdf
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Sony Video/Manuals/Archive/PVM-1380.pdf

i will potentially be using them with:
SMS, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, DC, Genesis, Ps2

thanks,
scott

(edit to link documentation)

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Honestly, you might want to skip them if it's any sort of a long tedious drive to pick them up.

The PVM-1380 isn't going to be any better than a consumer CRT TV, and you can pickup a WAY newer consumer TV (with newer and less-likely to break capacitors and such) for free off Craigslist. I don't see the TV Lines listed but judging by the dot pitch of 0.6, it has to be something pretty horrid like 250 (judging this on how a regular, newer 14" PVM with 600 TV Lines will have a dot pitch of 0.25 for example). If you like it's looks though (as in it's outside appearance), grab it though. They are very 80's and kinda cool if you're into that.

The PVM-1344Q would be a good monitor if you can fix it and don't mind that it's a bit jacked-up (think it has a big dent on the rear/top of the case too). I've had a couple from that series. Need to open it up and adjust the pots to do something simple like adjust the Horizontal/Vertical centering or make the image larger or smaller, but that's pretty easy - and he is correct that new capacitors have a good chance at fixing the sync issue.

Last edited:

Dragon89o

New Challenger
https://providence.craigslist.org/vgm/d/professional-video-monitors/6598413077.html
seem like a good deal,

they seem legit for the price.

advice please!
Nice to see you posting for your first time.
For $20 dollars it might just be a nice entry CRT. I'd personally end up wanting something at least 19-20' but it would give you the opportunity to see the quality of a PVM in person and start getting things connected via bnc. Then when you get something bigger just sell them back off.

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

At this point the best monitor/tv is the one you can get. I mean monitors do pop up from time to time but you have to get lucky and there's a lot of people in the hunt for them. You could also get a consumer set and mod them for rgb and those look really nice.

If you want the best, as in sharpest image and best colors then you can't do better than the 24 inch bvm or 32 inch bvm. But the thing is you might like how something else looks better. Different tvs will give you a different look and you might prefer the look of those. For example, older crt's have a bloom effect that many people love that are not seen on a pvm. And some people like me love those thick ass scan lines that are more common in higher end monitors. In the end it should always come down to preference.

Honestly it depends on your needs and wants. What consoles are you planning to play on it? Also what size are you fine with something around 20' or do you want something larger?

Nec is a good monitor I like it but I think it's a bit over hyped. The BVM-24' is razor sharp but it's even more expensive. If you are fine with 240p/480i there are some really good PVMs where I don't think the BVM is justified for the price difference.

Gotcha - I guess I would like something big enough that I wouldn't have to sit too close to it. I'm hoping to play NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube (although maybe that's better suited to an HDTV), Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast on it

At this point the best monitor/tv is the one you can get. I mean monitors do pop up from time to time but you have to get lucky and there's a lot of people in the hunt for them. You could also get a consumer set and mod them for rgb and those look really nice.

If you want the best, as in sharpest image and best colors then you can't do better than the 24 inch bvm or 32 inch bvm. But the thing is you might like how something else looks better. Different tvs will give you a different look and you might prefer the look of those. For example, older crt's have a bloom effect that many people love that are not seen on a pvm. And some people like me love those thick ass scan lines that are more common in higher end monitors. In the end it should always come down to preference.

I feel you, for sure. It is all personal preference. Have you ever modded a consumer set for RGB? Does it take a particular set to do that/is it a really pricey process?

SePh1r0tH

n00b
IMG_1295.JPG

Here's my current setup. NEC xp29 plus and a couple of BVMs. The Blast City still running strong after all these years too.

Love all the pics in this thread.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I feel you, for sure. It is all personal preference. Have you ever modded a consumer set for RGB? Does it take a particular set to do that/is it a really pricey process?

I have not. You need decent soldering skills and crt tv knowledge. Mainly electrical safety. oh your your tv's schematics. If you can do that all by yourself it should be a fairly inexpensive project. The parts you need are cheap.

@SePh1r0tH very nice monitors you have. Both the blast city and the NEC looking great.

Sony Squad

5VrKVvG.jpg

Dc026Ci.jpg

ScottyJayy

n00b
ive lurked here for a little while, only recently have i started hunting the Sony PVM/BVM and their cousins.

(edit to link documentation)

So to update, i grabbed the two PVM monitors from craiglist

the PVM-1380 is low TVL of 250, and it still looks pretty good!
The PVM-1344Q is really beatup, the plastic case if cracked from top to bottom on the back panel, and the top is dented, (looks like someone dropped something on it) and as noted, it takes ~5min to warm up, and the picture looks amazing (600TVL)

these two will serve me well for single player games that i can play at my desk.

i have also been looking into consumer trinitrons in my area for little to no monies.
i scooped up a free KV2084R, 1987, 20 in screen with microblack tube. https://docs.sony.com/release//KV2084R.PDF component only
The manual does not specify, does anyone know the number of TVL of this TV? is it in the 4-500 range?
also, what is the "A/V UNICONNECTOR" plug? is this composite/mono in one plug?

i have access to another trinitron from 2001, KV27S42, at my parents house. this one supports S-video, and i believe has the Jungle chip needed for RGB mod.

is this really the "best" consumer non-flat trinitron? i remember reading on this thread someone said this was a good set.

thanks for all your help!

-scott

So to update, i grabbed the two PVM monitors from craiglist

the PVM-1380 is low TVL of 250, and it still looks pretty good!
The PVM-1344Q is really beatup, the plastic case if cracked from top to bottom on the back panel, and the top is dented, (looks like someone dropped something on it) and as noted, it takes ~5min to warm up, and the picture looks amazing (600TVL)

these two will serve me well for single player games that i can play at my desk.

i have also been looking into consumer trinitrons in my area for little to no monies.
i scooped up a free KV2084R, 1987, 20 in screen with microblack tube. https://docs.sony.com/release//KV2084R.PDF component only
The manual does not specify, does anyone know the number of TVL of this TV? is it in the 4-500 range?
also, what is the "A/V UNICONNECTOR" plug? is this composite/mono in one plug?

i have access to another trinitron from 2001, KV27S42, at my parents house. this one supports S-video, and i believe has the Jungle chip needed for RGB mod.

is this really the "best" consumer non-flat trinitron? i remember reading on this thread someone said this was a good set.

thanks for all your help!

-scott

The best series of non-flat Trinitron must be the XBR
If you're lucky enough to find one, grab it!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
SilverRock[emoji768 said:
;4304989]PC-Engine Duo RGB modded on a PVM2130

yGWUNkO.jpg

Why is the controller rubber banded up? Isn't that hard to play like that? I would think those games would get in the way too.