CRT Fetish Thread

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Good god the Saturn looks glorious in RGB! Best $4 I've ever spent!

vK1hG5ql.jpg

(best pic I could grab, my camera and the PVM do not agree with each other)

The 4.00 was for the PVM? The cable? the Saturn?

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
$4? Really?

Auction or Buy it Now? If they're still selling them for that, could I get a link?

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Did you modify the cable or the port on your Saturn?

Nope. Just plugged it into the Saturn, then into my SCART switch, then onto the PVM. The Saturn, hands down, has the best RGB I've ever seen. My Genesis also has nice RGB, Sega knew what they were doing.

EDIT: this is a model 1 Saturn. I understand model 2s don't have quite as nice of a picture, but is still very good.

Last edited:

2050-Z

New Challenger
Found this Sears 8100 Chassis 562 10301 portable TV. Black "leather" texture exterior with silver highlights. I think it's black and white.

If I can find a power cord, I was thinking of hooking up an Atari 2600...

Is that a standard power cord type or a one-off that's going to be impossible to find?

bd603Jkl.jpg

NIygAmjl.jpg

0A6gcExl.jpg

lELcDmxl.jpg

Hx6uPr0l.jpg

3vmo6Prl.jpg

Qd9utBel.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I would guess based on it listing both AC and DC that your 5 pins are this (in no particular order)

AC/N
AC/L
Earth(GND)
12v DC+
12v DC-

Again this is totally a guess, but looking at the plug itself and the listed voltages / wattages it makes sense to me.

Unless you find a manual or old cable it'll be hard to know; google came up empty for me. If I were stuck without documentation I might resort to opening it up; earth ground should be easy to figure out if that is indeed one of those pins, but the others you'd have to see if there's an obvious sign they're accepting AC or DC.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Nope. Just plugged it into the Saturn, then into my SCART switch, then onto the PVM. The Saturn, hands down, has the best RGB I've ever seen. My Genesis also has nice RGB, Sega knew what they were doing.

EDIT: this is a model 1 Saturn. I understand model 2s don't have quite as nice of a picture, but is still very good.

Yeah, I have a Saturn RGB cable. The reason I ask is that most SCART RGB cables are wired only to work with the European/PAL Saturns. The pinout on the PAL Saturn is different than the US or Japanese NTSC Saturn systems. At that price it might be worth it to me to pick up another cable.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
The only difference on pinout between regions is NTSC has csync where PAL has voltage for switching. If all you need is the video and audio lines (RGB, C-vid, L/R audio) any cable should work for you.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
The only difference on pinout between regions is NTSC has csync where PAL has voltage for switching. If all you need is the video and audio lines (RGB, C-vid, L/R audio) any cable should work for you.

How are you getting sync from the cable then?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Scart standard is to use cvid for sync. UK cables work fine with US saturns and BNC breakout cables. Unless the cable is modified or specifically wired to use the csync pin instead the difference is irrelevant.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Scart standard is to use cvid for sync. UK cables work fine with US saturns and BNC breakout cables. Unless the cable is modified or specifically wired to use the csync pin instead the difference is irrelevant.

Roughly a year ago I bought a cable intended for a PAL unit some time ago and it gave me a mostly a black and white screen. I then bought a cable marked as a SCART cable for NTSC Saturn and that worked fine. I figured the difference was that the original cable I bought was actually wired for the PAL Saturn.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
My scart cables came! I noticed an issue before with my SNES over Svideo where the PVM would have these wavy lines. I was hoping scart would fix it, but now that the scart cables came it happens with my SNES and my Genny. Anyone know what would be causing this?

Here's a video, you can see it best when the screen is black:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Most likely from inadequate ground or could also be the power supply itself and in remote cases the 7805.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Most likely from inadequate ground or could also be the power supply itself and in remote cases the 7805.

Heh, you're right, it's the power adapter. I'm using one of those shitty two in one genesis/snes power bricks. I found a slightly higher quality one I have and the lines are gone.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
What's the going rate for APM speakers? The ones that strap on to the side of the PVM. I see an eBay listing for $70, then some older completed listings anywhere from $20 to $70.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Does anybody have any clue where to find a PVM or similar on Oahu? I keep talking to shops/people who say they have what I want but when I get there it's just a plain old CRT....