CRT Fetish Thread

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
To anyone that has a fw900, make sure to perform a windas white point balance calibration on it. You still will get a good experience without doing this, but a wwpb will put this monitor over. Played a bunch of Wii U and some Switch games this way and all looked great.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I’ve got a Dell P1110 mothballed, but the fw900 hype as of late has made me tempted to unearth it. It also needs a touch up via windas IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whippy

Banned
I have that monitor FW-900. Paired with a xrgb2 it's like crack for your eyes.

To anyone that has a fw900, make sure to perform a windas white point balance calibration on it. You still will get a good experience without doing this, but a wwpb will put this monitor over. Played a bunch of Wii U and some Switch games this way and all looked great.

Mine died last winter when the flyback transformer shit out. I still have it, and use it for a paperweight in my storage area. Eventually I will find a donor model or contact Uncle Vito about getting a new FBT. I used windas & a color calibrator a few times in the 18 years I owned it, and it always looked amazing. I am still sad to see it sitting there unused.

I’ve got a Dell P1110 mothballed, but the fw900 hype as of late has made me tempted to unearth it. It also needs a touch up via windas IIRC.

Unearth it! I loved running PC games at 1280x800 @ 120 hz. I miss feeling motion sick while gaming and if you have one, you should certainly fire it up!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I'm getting a light trailing shadow behind some objects and text. You can see the lines of the top and bottom of the platform shadowed to the right of it. Hard to get a pic of it but here is what I have. Does it with both composite and s-video. Can't test RGB as I don't have an input card for it. There is no switch box. Just plugged directly into the inputs. Using a GameCube s-video monster cable. It works perfectly on all my other CRTs including the 17" version of this monitor. Monitor is a JVC TM-H15CG. No caps are leaking or swollen.

2019-10-25 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Has it always been like this or just something new? Have you moved the monitor recently? Sometimes the magnetic fields change with the season too?

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Has it always been like this or just something new? Have you moved the monitor recently? Sometimes the magnetic fields change with the season too?

Just got it today. It was safely shipped thankfully. I should try degaussing it with my coil to see if that does anything. I have a couple other monitors that only like cardinal directions. Might have to mess with that too. Messed a ton with the service menu and pots inside. Got everything pretty dialed in, but it's still there. It seems more noticeable when running composite. After dialing it in a bit it looked much better when running s-video but it is still present. The image and text is really sharp and clear, but that trailing image seems to follow off of straight lines. Some games I can't see anything and then Mega Man 2 has it in multiple places on some screens. I tried multiple games and compared results on my 17" which is the same model just larger. That monitor doesn't have any trailing images whatsoever. I will degauss tomorrow and report back.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've seen threads with this problem on reddit for sony pvmsbut can't find it. I believe replacing certain capacitors will fix it, but not sure which ones. All my google searches keep coming up with newbs asking "is this horizontal line 3/4 down from my screen normal" when its just the aperture grill support lol.

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I've seen threads with this problem on reddit for sony pvmsbut can't find it. I believe replacing certain capacitors will fix it, but not sure which ones. All my google searches keep coming up with newbs asking "is this horizontal line 3/4 down from my screen normal" when its just the aperture grill support lol.

Thanks for the input! I'll have to dig around a bit more online to see what I can find regarding what caps to replace. I ended up degaussing it and of course that didn't really do much (as I expected). I went a lot deeper into the service menu and adjusted about everything I could to see if it made any difference at all. About all I could do is make it more prominent. Nothing really made it look better. I actually have a place a couple hours away that works on CRTs. Unfortunately they don't seemed too versed in anything other than commercial sets. Unfortunately I don't have the soldering skills to recap on my own. I may have to hit up my friend in town who does a bunch of soldering. At least it is something fairly minimal and is actually hard to see or not visible at all on some screens depending on the game. My friends barely noticed it. It sucks being a perfectionist.

ddtoron

n00b
Hey guys. Would anyone be interested in a bvm 20f1u? i wanted to make a for sale thread but can't figure out where or if there is a marketplace section. sorry to ask.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hey guys. Would anyone be interested in a bvm 20f1u? i wanted to make a for sale thread but can't figure out where or if there is a marketplace section. sorry to ask.

Probably because you are not supposed to sell goods here until you establish yourself on the forums, even if such a sale would likely be in person local pickup. Sorry man. Rules are rules.

ddtoron

n00b
Probably because you are not supposed to sell goods here until you establish yourself on the forums, even if such a sale would likely be in person local pickup. Sorry man. Rules are rules.

ok! guess no one here will be the one to get it. oh well.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Yeah no sales outside of market thread. You’ll get market access if you stay a while and contribute posts. You could always try reddit crtgaming thread though if you don’t want to contribute.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah no sales outside of market thread.

For the sale of a BVM-20F1U though he would be better off PM'ing Rot for fastrack access to the market or just post the sale thread here in General Discussion if he doesn't get a response as Rot is busy as fuck.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
For the sale of a BVM-20F1U though he would be better off PM'ing Rot for fastrack access to the market or just post the sale thread here in General Discussion if he doesn't get a response as Rot is busy as fuck.

Rot usually approves sales of tube tvs really quick cause we need more in the community.

@ddtoron, please PM Rot with your request.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone here have experience with getting larger PVMs (19" and bigger) sent from one country to another?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can't wait for you to buy one on eBay and get it shipped via the global shipping program.

I bought a 14 in pvm off eBay last year. Was shipped from east coast us to west coast canada. Only 40 bucks to ship and arrived safe & sound

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Does anyone here have experience with getting larger PVMs (19" and bigger) sent from one country to another?

I had a Sharp 21G SF1 sent over from Japan. Shipping cost more than the TV itself.