CRT Fetish Thread

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Not that I know of but superg stated it could.

I would imagine should the chip die you aren't sol. Superg has helped people in the past who bought Gscarts and fixed them.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Just went through a shitty break up and had to move unexpectedly. Moved all the important stuff first lol. Saving my biggest CRT and cabinet for the Uhaul. My new place is the nicest place I've lived so far, so I'm happy about that. Unfortunately I won't have a dedicated game room anymore. Time to get inventive with space again.

Screenshot_20171021-061003.jpg

Screenshot_20171021-061115.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just went through a shitty break up and had to move unexpectedly. Moved all the important stuff first lol. Saving my biggest CRT and cabinet for the Uhaul. My new place is the nicest place I've lived so far, so I'm happy about that. Unfortunately I won't have a dedicated game room anymore. Time to get inventive with space again.

View attachment 46985

View attachment 46984

That sucks bro. Nice pvm's though.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
When old CRT's are the most important thing you own you know you have problems.

In the back of my head I was thinking the same thing but now that you mentioned it LOL.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

View attachment 46985

View attachment 46984

Sorry to hear that Mike. Keep your chin up man!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Sorry to hear that Mike. Keep your chin up man!

Will do! I'm in a much better situation all together. Better it happened now instead of later. My back survived and these certainly aren't my most important things lol. Just had to breathe some life into the CRT Fetish thread :)

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
It sucks now, but better a break up than a divorce my man. Glad the CRTs got out unscathed.

Hello again, all. A while back I posted about one of the only examples of a US NTSC TV that included an RGB input natively- the RCA Dimensia, which did so via a SCART/EIA Multiport input. There was a lot of two of them on Ebay. Anyway, for quite a while now, there's been an even better model of US RGB CRT up on Ebay. I've been trying to arrange a trip all the way down to pick it up, but will not be able to do so. I'd still love to see it go to a good home, or at least get wider acknowledgment for it's model type so that fellow CRT Fetishists here (or just lurking- you know who you are if you're reading this) can keep an eye out for other surviving sets. The particular set I'd like to pass word along of is a Mitsubishi Diamond Vision CK-3502R, as seen in this listing out of Lakeland, Florida:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mi...163644?hash=item33c842f5fc:g:IFcAAOSw4DJYm1Mh

...just look at that lovely RGB input! I've seen a few other Diamond Vision sets, but this is only one of two that had the RGB input. Apparently not every Diamond Vision model came so equipped. This and the RCA Dimensias are among the only (but not the only) US/NTSC CRT sets to have had any sort of native RGB capability. I hope somebody here will be able to give it a good and appreciative home, or at least pass the word along to somebody who can.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Ah dang man. Well best of luck bro, you'll be fine.

I just pulled a couple D9200s... Gonna see if I can find somewhere to recap them for a reasonable fee.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Hello again, all. A while back I posted about one of the only examples of a US NTSC TV that included an RGB input natively- the RCA Dimensia, which did so via a SCART/EIA Multiport input. The particular set I'd like to pass word along of is a Mitsubishi Diamond Vision CK-3502R, as seen in this listing out of Lakeland, Florida:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mi...163644?hash=item33c842f5fc:g:IFcAAOSw4DJYm1Mh

It is as good as dead being in Florida.

also I think the Sony Trinitron KV-25XBR is another US RGB monitor from 1986. DanAdamKof has one iirc. It uses a weird 34 pin ribbon cable for the RGB input.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
...just look at that lovely RGB input! I've seen a few other Diamond Vision sets, but this is only one of two that had the RGB input. Apparently not every Diamond Vision model came so equipped. This and the RCA Dimensias are among the only (but not the only) US/NTSC CRT sets to have had any sort of native RGB capability. I hope somebody here will be able to give it a good and appreciative home, or at least pass the word along to somebody who can.

Not to go raining on your parade, but the RGB input on that Mitsubishi is almost definitely going to be RGBI, as in Digital RGB for old PCs, not something you could actually use with a standard game console.

Additionally, the Dimensia, despite being equipped with a SCART socket, is composite only. The "EIA MultiPort" on it is not wired for RGB, only Composite Video and audio.
The photo of it no longer seems to be available, but someone posted a shot from the manual 100+ pages back and it explicitly stated that it did not have RGB.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It is as good as dead being in Florida.

also I think the Sony Trinitron KV-25XBR is another US RGB monitor from 1986. DanAdamKof has one iirc. It uses a weird 34 pin ribbon cable for the RGB input.
That's right. The manual says it's for computers of that era (ie Amiga) but it's happy with whatever for 15khz RGB.

There's also a KV-20XBR and some older similar models.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Ok, so I was able to find another 27" KV-FS100 (go figure lol) for $50, Olympus OEV 203 for $399 (shipped), and Sony 14M2MU for $150 plus the gas money (prolly $50 to go get it).

Can't freakin' decided. The money is an issue, so I wanna get the KV-FS100. The retro bug is biting me hard lol, so I'm trying to justify the cost of either the other two. $400 shipped. I did the math via USPS and that would be about $200 for shipping alone. It's too far to drive for any less than that as well.

Opinions? Experienced users of these difference quality sets... would you say the cost is worth it for the better quality? Any advice, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've had the Olympus, it's a great monitor but no way in hell is it worth anywhere near $399, especially in the condition that most PVMs are in these days. I paid and sold mine for $70. $200 total for the 14" is a joke too, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it.

Now the reason I ditched the Olympus is because I replaced it with almost that exact Wega, although mine is a FS120 I think. Found it for $12 on Craigslist. Comparing the Olympus in RGB to the Sony in transcoded component, the Olympus is a little better but it's not that big of a difference. You know what is that big of a difference though? THE SIZE. You give up a little quality but you get a much larger screen that is still better than most CRTs you'll find out there, including most arcade monitors. Also, depending on the source composite is probably going to look better on the Wega since it has a fantastic comb filter, although you don't notice too many composite artifacts on the PVM since it's so small.

IMO if you don't already have a PVM that you got back when they were cheap or you get lucky on craigslist or something, leave them to the fucktards willing to spend all their cash on a tiny screen with bad geometry because OMG RGB. Grab a cheap late model Wega and a RGB to Component transcoder and spend the cash on games instead.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've had the Olympus, it's a great monitor but no way in hell is it worth anywhere near $399, especially in the condition that most PVMs are in these days. I paid and sold mine for $70. $200 total for the 14" is a joke too, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it.

Now the reason I ditched the Olympus is because I replaced it with almost that exact Wega, although mine is a FS120 I think. Found it for $12 on Craigslist. Comparing the Olympus in RGB to the Sony in transcoded component, the Olympus is a little better but it's not that big of a difference. You know what is that big of a difference though? THE SIZE. You give up a little quality but you get a much larger screen that is still better than most CRTs you'll find out there, including most arcade monitors. Also, depending on the source composite is probably going to look better on the Wega since it has a fantastic comb filter, although you don't notice too many composite artifacts on the PVM since it's so small.

IMO if you don't already have a PVM that you got back when they were cheap or you get lucky on craigslist or something, leave them to the fucktards willing to spend all their cash on a tiny screen with bad geometry because OMG RGB. Grab a cheap late model Wega and a RGB to Component transcoder and spend the cash on games instead.

Welcome back Bro. I missed you lol.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Noob pulled me out of retirement, but I figured I was the only person around who had experience with two of the three things he was asking. :keke: I've been hanging out with Rot in chat.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher

Thanks for the info. I'll stay away from the bvm/pvm unless I can get a really good deal then. I appreciate it a lot.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That Olympus is still one of the best images I've seen out of a CRT, but it's just not worth it for that money. Especially not when consumer Trinitrons are still so cheap. Although if they were the same price I'd still go for the Wega. Sitting a couple feet back like an arcade monitor and the thing is glorious.

Last edited:

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I appreciate the info. It helps making me feel like I'm not being to tight on money lol. My wife couldn't see how it was justified to get the PVM for that price when she says the FS100 looks great already for a lot cheaper lol.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I had the OEV. Bought and sold it for $125 about two years ago. I wouldn't go more than $200. Honestly, if you can find a cheap WEGA, that's the smart move. The difference between RGB and component just isn't enough to justify the huge price difference.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I appreciate the info. It helps making me feel like I'm not being to tight on money lol. My wife couldn't see how it was justified to get the PVM for that price when she says the FS100 looks great already for a lot cheaper lol.

Yea, It's hard to find pro monitors at a decent price now in days. I remember a few years ago when you could find 20 Inch Pvm's for $50. Now that sellers and these recycling centers know that gamers are interested in them, they jack up the price.