CRT Fetish Thread

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Shame that isnt working right for you, if you have svideo like they stated above try that for now at least other wise BNC RGB cables or BNC to RCA adapters (like i currently have) work well to stupid cheap on ebay and amazon

I think the option cards is a neat feature whats the manufacture date my 20M2MDU is year 2000
Best of luck !

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Shame that isnt working right for you, if you have svideo like they stated above try that for now at least other wise BNC RGB cables or BNC to RCA adapters (like i currently have) work well to stupid cheap on ebay and amazon

I think the option cards is a neat feature whats the manufacture date my 20M2MDU is year 2000
Best of luck !

Jun 04. I've looked everywhere in my house for ANYTHING svideo lol. Even my PS1 only has RCA and not the svideo option lol. Hopefully I'll get it sorted tomorrow. I'll at least have the bnc/rca adapters come in tomorrow and the vga/bnc rgb cables will be here midweek.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
your VGA/BNC cables what are you feeding into it ? Dreamcast in VGA and breaking it out into RGBHV to the PVM?

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
your VGA/BNC cables what are you feeding into it ? Dreamcast in VGA and breaking it out into RGBHV to the PVM?

I haven't hooked anything up to it at this point. I'm waiting on my adapters and cables to come in. Basically, all I have done is turned it on, and accessed the menu and service mode.

edit:
If you're asking what I will be, it'll be PS1/SNES (bnc/rca adapters, and NES (with the cables).

Last edited:

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Well, this is encouraging, but discouraging as well. Looks nice, picture quality wise, but the problem isn't fixed with having something else connected to it. Not sure where to go from here, but I might just have wasted money. :(

SNES via compsite to BNC

NES via Ananlogue NT Mini VGA/RGB Component to BNC Component with internal sync

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Start with a better camera...those at almost karou level pics.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Start with a better camera...those at almost karou level pics.

So, getting a better camera will fix the bowing on the screen? I'm being sarcastic of course. The pictures were just to show what's going on with the screen, not how amazing it looks in person.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Getting a better camera will increase your epean factor. I prefer Nikon but ... i dont own a stand alone camera just a cam corder ...shhh

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I would start by doing a factory reset - the manual tells you how to load the factory data.

Then take a picture of what it looks like reset to factory settings and hopefully it's half-way ok. Try to take that screenshot preferably with a game loaded up which has a lot of straight boxes and squares or something like that so we can see what's really going on.

If the picture is still all jacked up either A.) the previous owner messed up the settings then saved over the factory settings, or B.) more likely it has a problem with the internals - most likely (hopefully) just some capacitors which are out of spec and messing up the geometry.

After that start with the H and V width/height and centering and take it from there.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I would start by doing a factory reset - the manual tells you how to load the factory data.

Then take a picture of what it looks like reset to factory settings and hopefully it's half-way ok. Try to take that screenshot preferably with a game loaded up which has a lot of straight boxes and squares or something like that so we can see what's really going on.

If the picture is still all jacked up either A.) the previous owner messed up the settings then saved over the factory settings, or B.) more likely it has a problem with the internals - most likely (hopefully) just some capacitors which are out of spec and messing up the geometry.

After that start with the H and V width/height and centering and take it from there.

Already did all that, except the capacitors of course. What would I do with the capacitors?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Was it still curved when you reset it to factory? That usually means a capacitor(s) is out of spec causing that issue, and needs to be replaced. The geometry settings can only fix hardware defects so much (this is all assuming the factory settings weren't overwritten, and the monitor was calibrated at the factory correctly to begin with).

After a reset was the image still too tall, and still too wide like your Super Mario World screenshot shows? What happens when you make it less wide and less tall through the service menu? It won't let you or something? I'm most confused why you can't make the picture less wide and tall to be honest...

zyvbFM8.png

For the image being concave curved on the left and right, did SIDE PIN do nothing to help that? Might want to also try PARA CONTROL or TRAPEZOID as well (honestly I can't tell 100% from pics...you have have to spend an hour or so and figure out what makes it look the best).

wh99aGW.png

Last edited:

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Yes, those pictures above are from after factory reset. It COULD be that someone saved user settings as the standard.

Thanks for the pictures. It helps with the which option will help with the curved picture. Yeah, I can move it up, down, left, and right. Doesn't seem to work well with the width, but I can easily adjust the height. The side pin on the right of the picture above seems to be where I am right now. That, and the picture width.

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Next time you buy a CRT you might test it first ;)

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Next time you buy a CRT you might test it first ;)

No doubt. I got ahead of myself on this one. I'll make some calls tomorrow to a few repair shops in my area and see if there's anyone that can fix this. If not, well, I dunno what I'll do yet lol.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm going to be honest. I dig a PVM, have one myself, but this chasing RGB is getting just too expensive and out of hand. I can tell you, a great consumer grade TV will give you a picture using a scart to component convertor that is pretty damn close to pure rgb. All this scanline chasing stuff is just too costly now, buy yourself a cheap 20-27 inch Sony Wega with s-video and component inputs, don't chase HD sets, quit looking at numbers. They are like 30-50 bucks all day long on CL in your backyard. Please, stop the insanity.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
If I can't get this PVM to work properly, then I'm definitely done with it. I can tell side by side the PVM looks better than my KV-27FS100, and if I get the PVM working properly, I'm ok with what I've put in for it so far. Anyone know how to change the aspect ration on this thing? PVM-20L2MD? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the manual. I doubt that has anything to do with the problems, but it's worth at least checking out. edit: nvm. Just realized my particular MD model doesn't allow switching. Scratch that idea.

Last edited:
Just got a PVM and its true... the quality is way better than it was on my Trinitron 32'' consumer tv. Thanks for the infos I gather here:PIMG_0450.jpg

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
yeah its weird thing. A pro monitor is definitely the way to go if you can find one but i dont think a person should twist themselves up in knots over it. There is a noticeable difference in quality though.

Even going from a 1954Q to 20L5 there was a huge and immediate jump in quality.

But then my OG Samsung consumer set (which i kind of regret selling) was really dope and I loved playing through PS1, PS2 GCN Wii and Xbox games on it. The picture was so damn good via component (although it was the first set i used when i actually caring about picture quality so i was seeing alot of those games from composite to component for the first time). I never was able to test RGB on it so im not sure how well it would have stacked up. It would have probably still looked great but i cant imagine it would have quite measured up to the professional monitors im currently using. If I could never find a pro monitor I think id have been fine with that set.

its like discount store steak vs premium cut steak. Most people arent gonna know the difference.....but there is a difference

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I personally enjoyed twisting myself all up over getting exactly the right monitor(s). It was a fun process! I ended up driving from Minnesota to Michigan and back for some monitors too, so maybe I'm not your standard case. :)

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Just picked up the pair of these for $60 and just had to drive from Madison to Milwaukee, so it was a pretty easy trip. I know they're nothing too spectacular, but it's a start.

I should be getting my SCART to BNC cable in the mail later today.

IMG_20171116_120531736-1336x752.jpg

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Nice! I've never seen a Panasonic running RGB before. Are you going to mirror the image? Or run two separate consoles?

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Nice! I've never seen a Panasonic running RGB before. Are you going to mirror the image? Or run two separate consoles?

I was thinking about mirroring, but I haven't looked into it just yet. I honestly wasn't even planning on buying two, but it was on the auction as a lot of two.

I've been wanting to test the waters of pro monitors and this seemed like a pretty good opportunity for a reasonable price. I passed on a 19" Panasonic (I forget the model) and a Sony PVM-1944Q that were each up for $200 which didn't sell from the same seller (UW-Milwaukee). When I picked these up today, the dude that runs the surplus said that the 19" monitors would be listed next week for $100 each. I know they're kinda old models, but around $100 might be worth it. I'm still thinking since I don't want to go whole hog with the holidays coming up.

Also, he let me know that these came out of their cable broadcast department's back storage room and they're in the process of cleaning out everything to get all new equipment. That means the newer stuff they're using right now is going to probably be ready in January sometime, so I'm looking forward to that. Maybe I'll be able to get a decent larger and newer model in a couple months.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Sounds like a good opportunity for getting some cheap stuff! Post pics when you get them up and running.