Page 278 of 282 FirstFirst ... 178228268274275276277278279280281282 LastLast
Results 6,926 to 6,950 of 7031

Thread: CRT Fetish Thread

Mizuki's Demon

Holy shit you're a mad man for recapping a PVM. Doing a recap for an arcade chassis is bad enough. Well done!!

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Yea, the picture looks crisp. Good Job.

NAM-75 Vet

Damn nice work right there. Picture looks very nice

There was a LOT caps to replace but it worth. It's a tedious task but man! what huge difference!
    The colors are so vibrant right now that surpass my other KX-29HV3 (PVM2950QJ) and even my BVM also the brightess and contrast are really but really good
    I strong recommend a full recap to this old monitors

I'll soon to do it to my KX-29HV3 for sure

OldSkool4Life

Love it SilverRock! Looks very nice and crisp!

Bashful Neophyte

Here's a few pictures from my JVC BM-H1900SU (750 TVL, Shadow Mask):
    MVS:

SNES Jr. RGB:

Sega Saturn:

I've heard a lot of negative things about Shadow Mask, but I think it really works well on the JVC with it's TVLcount.
    Last edited by Beckett; 01-14-2018 at 11:36 PM.

NAM-75 Vet

Looks great! Nice to see some more JVC love in here I just got done messing with the service menu on my TM-H1700G for about an hour. I manually degaussed it and just went to town tweaking. Finally got it how I want it. No RGB but s-video still looks fantastic with the 750 line count. Playing some quality games

Screenshot_20180115-001543.jpg

Bashful Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrikeMike View Post
    Looks great! Nice to see some more JVC love in here I just got done messing with the service menu on my TM-H1700G for about an hour. I manually degaussed it and just went to town tweaking. Finally got it how I want it. No RGB but s-video still looks fantastic with the 750 line count. Playing some quality games

Screenshot_20180115-001543.jpg
    Thanks!

I just love the JVC Monitors. They always seem to look good, and have great geometry.

Wish I could comment on your monitor, but my account doesn’t have the privileges to yet, lol.

NAM-75 Vet

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    Thanks!

I just love the JVC Monitors. They always seem to look good, and have great geometry.

Wish I could comment on your monitor, but my account doesn’t have the privileges to yet, lol.
    Both of my Panasonics as well as the JVC have great geometry. There has to be something said for the simplicity of the menus as well. Tweaking my BVMs can be much more of an arduous adventure. There certainly aren't as many options with the JVCs/Panasonics, but everything is easy to navigate including the service menu. I was very excited to see all the factory defaults listed clearly in the manual too. Saved a lot of writing.

Mr. Big's Thug

Have mentioned my setup before, but have not had a camera to snap a pic or two of the screen until recently. In this example - setup of a Sony Trinitron monitor with supergun RGB to VGA running a PCB, with scanline generator.

Was hard to capture something of what it looks like with the naked eye, but I did what I could

B. Jenet's Firstmate

Does anyone in the U.S. still service PVMs, or are we in "hoard everything & hope nothing dies" territory now? My 23 inch medical monitor looks like it's on it's last legs. I'm tempted to have someone mod one of my consumer sets for RGB at this point.

Neo Bubble Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    Here's a few pictures from my JVC BM-H1900SU (750 TVL, Shadow Mask):
    I've heard a lot of negative things about Shadow Mask, but I think it really works well on the JVC with it's TVLcount.
    So does the JVC-BM-H1900SU do 480p? Wasn't able to find that information online from when I had looked it up.
    I picked up one a little while ago but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I think I connected it up once to just make sure it would turn on and work.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Does anyone in the U.S. still service PVMs, or are we in "hoard everything & hope nothing dies" territory now? My 23 inch medical monitor looks like it's on it's last legs. I'm tempted to have someone mod one of my consumer sets for RGB at this point.
    I'm also curious in trying to find people to do repairs. If you find someone especially on the east coast let me know. I have a Mitsubishi Megaview that I'd like to get worked on.

Your best bet is to find some super old tv repair shop. Most newer places won't touch CRTs anymore. Be prepared to pay out the ass though. If you think you're going to get a PVM serviced for less than 150 bucks, you have another coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillzguy View Post
    I sometimes wish I didn't have Aspergers as I feel game related collecting would be a mild hobby rather than an obsession.

Sultan of Slugs

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    If not, I can guarantee that alot of these old CRT tech repair guys (and probably new ones coming soon) will start coming out of the woodwork once the market for CRT repairs start to really open up. I think the retro gaming niche has enough wiggle room to be workable.

People are paying stupid money for these pro monitors. These people WILL pay to have them serviced when the time comes. Hopefully repair prices dont end up too crazy.

But yeah I already have 5 monitors (6 if I ever find a 14L5). I am at my limit so I would definitely prefer to have these things repaired rather then hoard anymore then I already am

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Your best bet is to find some super old tv repair shop. Most newer places won't touch CRTs anymore. Be prepared to pay out the ass though. If you think you're going to get a PVM serviced for less than 150 bucks, you have another coming.
    Thats almost more then i've payed for all my monitors combined. 150 seems doable though. When my 1954Q dies i'd be willing to pay that to have it fixed....depending on what goes wrong of course.
    Last edited by Wachenroder; 01-17-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Neo Bubble Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Well I'm looking at trying to get my Megaview AM-4201R cleaned out, recapped, and hopefully get the fan replaced with a quite fan. Also hopefully a calibration option if it's needed.
    Personally $150 sounds fine for certain monitors but too expensive currently for other monitors. Personally kind of trying to find someone willing to make a house call. I'm not looking to move that 300lb beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wachenroder View Post
    If not, I can guarantee that alot of these old CRT tech repair guys (and probably new ones coming soon) will start coming out of the woodwork once the market for CRT repairs start to really open up. I think the retro gaming niche has enough wiggle room to be workable.

People are paying stupid money for these pro monitors. These people WILL pay to have them serviced when the time comes. Hopefully repair prices dont end up too crazy.

But yeah I already have 5 monitors (6 if I ever find a 14L5). I am at my limit so I would definitely prefer to have these things repaired rather then hoard anymore then I already am

Thats almost more then i've payed for all my monitors combined. 150 seems doable though. When my 1954Q dies i'd be willing to pay that to have it fixed....depending on what goes wrong of course.
    Hopefully you are right and finding people who are able to do it becomes more common. How much did you end up paying to repair each of your crts and what was done to each of them?

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon89o View Post
    Well I'm looking at trying to get my Megaview AM-4201R cleaned out, recapped, and hopefully get the fan replaced with a quite fan. Also hopefully a calibration option if it's needed.
    Personally $150 sounds fine for certain monitors but too expensive currently for other monitors. Personally kind of trying to find someone willing to make a house call. I'm not looking to move that 300lb beast.

Hopefully you are right and finding people who are able to do it becomes more common. How much did you end up paying to repair each of your crts and what was done to each of them?
    I doubt they would do a house call and I heard recapping a monitor isn't a 1 hour thing.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    I doubt they would do a house call and I heard recapping a monitor isn't a 1 hour thing.
    Wont pay more than $150 for a pro monitor but wants a crt tech to do a house call cost you more than the fucking thing itself!

I seriously doubt CRT repair will become more common because a bunch of retro nerds bought a bunch of old shit. Who're you kidding? this tech is old, dead, discontinued eg. not manufactured anymore. Repairs will be costly and limited.

DANGER!!

Bashful Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon89o View Post
    So does the JVC-BM-H1900SU do 480p? Wasn't able to find that information online from when I had looked it up.
    I picked up one a little while ago but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I think I connected it up once to just make sure it would turn on and work.
    Unfortunately no, 480i only. It’s a similar deal to the 20F1U.

That being said, all content on it looks amazing. If you really need to play 480p content (Such as Dreamcast games that cannot output RGB), I would recommend picking up a Extron VSC and downscale to 480i.

Art of Typing Wiz

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Wont pay more than $150 for a pro monitor but wants a crt tech to do a house call cost you more than the fucking thing itself!

I seriously doubt CRT repair will become more common because a bunch of retro nerds bought a bunch of old shit. Who're you kidding? this tech is old, dead, discontinued eg. not manufactured anymore. Repairs will be costly and limited.
    Depends on where you're at I suppose, but around here you can absolutely still get a tech to do a house call and work on a CRT.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by kuze View Post
    Depends on where you're at I suppose, but around here you can absolutely still get a tech to do a house call and work on a CRT.
    Maybe so around your way but I still can't see a certified tech making a house call and only getting paid $150 for a job that could take 3+ hours. Skate told me it took him damn near 8 hours to do a full recap on one of his arcade monitors. I've heard of Pinball techs doing house calls and charging a arm and a leg. This is just my 2 cents. Maybe they do charge those prices.
    Last edited by RAZO; 01-17-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Mizuki's Demon

Around here you're lucky to find someone who can even solder anymore. Even the arcade techs here have given up on CRTs and you see lcd swaps everywhere The tv shops just swap entire parts and bill the warranty.

To be fair that 7 or 8 hours was a d9200 with 77 caps. Still, even a small monitor would be a few hours I'd think. Plus post work for geometry and convergence etc.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    Around here you're lucky to find someone who can even solder anymore. Even the arcade techs here have given up on CRTs and you see lcd swaps everywhere The tv shops just swap entire parts and bill the warranty.

To be fair that 7 or 8 hours was a d9200 with 77 caps. Still, even a small monitor would be a few hours I'd think. Plus post work for geometry and convergence etc.
    Ok Got it. I give you props for even attempting a job like that. I just wouldn't have the patience or the skills.

Mizuki's Demon

Thanks bro. I've been soldering almost 20 years, I just got comfortable enough over the last few to tackle CRTs. The key word you said was patience. The patience is harder than the actual work.

Oh my 150 estimate was just to hit the bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillzguy View Post
    I sometimes wish I didn't have Aspergers as I feel game related collecting would be a mild hobby rather than an obsession.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

It's looking more & more likely that I'll have to do my own recapping at some point then. The problem is I've got almost no education in that field outside of desoldering pokemon save batteries & replacing them. Are there any good books, or youtube courses, etc, I can read up on to start slowly familiarizing myself with terms & safety procedures before I attempt to do a recap? I don't want to end up accidentally touching a cap inside a Trinitron & killing myself. video games are serious business.

Thread Information