CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There are no differences in cables between a US or PAL territory Dreamcast.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Ran a scart cable on my US dreamcast without issue. Ive heard the pelican ones are trash...i think mine was Naki.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I mostly play Gunbird 2 and Project Justice on my DC.

Anybody know if these games support scart?

Anybody have a list of games that won't support scart?

You could google it. The list is only for a few games. I think Gun Bird and Project Justice will run fine in rgb. It is only for official releases, if your playing boots then you could either patch the cd image or find a rgb patched release.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I used the Pelican scart w/ the viletim console adapter & worked for me.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'd like to know this too. I don't want to get some cable that won't work.

It's time for my Dreamcast to shine, baby!

EDIT: Anybody get theirs from here? http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sega-dreamcast-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-cord-for-sale.html

It should work fine, dreamcast scart cables are pretty simple. I made my own Dreamcast RGB cable using the lead from a broken VGA box. There are 2 pins grounded for VGA or one pin grounded for RGB, and then some caps on the RGB lines.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I have a spare Dreamcast SCART cable I'd let go cheap if you're interested. I got it because I thought mine had gone bad but it turns out it was a completely different issue.

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You would just use the service menu via OSD. You don't need to open the 20L5 to do most the adjustments.

Hey Skips, Just wanted to let you know that I got my BKM-129X in the mail today, installed it and bingo, no more shaking etc on RGB.

Thanks so much for your help, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
I had this bad feeling it wasn't going to resolve the problem and I'd have to dump this amazing display. But when I booted up 240p suite with the Wii connected via SCART it worked flawlessly!,tested with the other problematic consoles and they work perfect too!

I am curious why the issue occurs with the on board inputs, maybe I can find a replacement board. But they work fine with component/composite so I will just use them for that till I figure it out. I think it might be they are not automatically terminating, ordered some 75 ohm bnc terminators to test out the theor.

Thanks again, super happy retro gamer!

Nyd

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Open up the bandridge by removing the 7 screws on the bottom. They are below little caps/covers.

Then you can either clip one side of the diode marked D2 on the pcb or take out the internal PCB and follow the instructions in the shmups thread.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Open up the bandridge by removing the 7 screws on the bottom. They are below little caps/covers.

Then you can either clip one side of the diode marked D2 on the pcb or take out the internal PCB and follow the instructions in the shmups thread.

Ok so you went with the last post about the two diodes, thanks! I was curious because one said jumper, one said cut a trace, and one said the diodes lol. Would you bother putting a jumper on D1?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ok so you went with the last post about the two diodes, thanks! I was curious because one said jumper, one said cut a trace, and one said the diodes lol. Would you bother putting a jumper on D1?

Not entirely sure, however my guess is because input 5 is intended to be bidirectional for recording purposes and that's most likely what is messing everything up for folks.

In the end, cutting the trace or diode does the same thing.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Not entirely sure, however my guess is because input 5 is intended to be bidirectional for recording purposes and that's most likely what is messing everything up for folks.

Ok thanks, how did you remove the feet? Someone mentioned blu tack but I dont have any of that handy.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ok thanks, how did you remove the feet? Someone mentioned blu tack but I dont have any of that handy.

You can thread a small screw into the caps and then pull on the screw to pop them out.

Then just toss the caps when you are done since then have small holes in them.

I have modded a couple and that's what I did.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
You can thread a small screw into the caps and then pull on the screw to pop them out.

Then just toss the caps when you are done since then have small holes in them.

I have modded a couple and that's what I did.

Yeah I might do that, its pretty stupid how they are put in , guess they really dont want people to open it up :O

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Hey Skips, Just wanted to let you know that I got my BKM-129X in the mail today, installed it and bingo, no more shaking etc on RGB.

Thanks so much for your help, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
I had this bad feeling it wasn't going to resolve the problem and I'd have to dump this amazing display. But when I booted up 240p suite with the Wii connected via SCART it worked flawlessly!,tested with the other problematic consoles and they work perfect too!

I am curious why the issue occurs with the on board inputs, maybe I can find a replacement board. But they work fine with component/composite so I will just use them for that till I figure it out. I think it might be they are not automatically terminating, ordered some 75 ohm bnc terminators to test out the theor.

Thanks again, super happy retro gamer!

Nyd

Sweet dude, glad to see it is working.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent

Ended up clipping D2 and was still losing sync, so I put a jumper wire in place of D1 and now I am good =)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ended up clipping D2 and was still losing sync, so I put a jumper wire in place of D1 and now I am good =)

I am guess your sync stripper wasn't getting enough (or any) power because of that diode on D1.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I just got a PVM in "great working condition". Seems to have issues in the bottom right corner, degaussing has no effect. Got to love seller descriptions.

15390494896_f550aac610.jpg