CRT Fetish Thread

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
You see that magnet? There's one on the bottom too. That's where you need to place and eventually glue your magnet.
Can I put a magnet there while the TV is on though? After my tingly hand incident with the larger magnet I'm afraid to put anything metal near the set when it's on. :)

So I don't need to add a magnet in a new spot, you think I just need to add to the old magnets?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Of course you can, you kinda have to do it with the monitor on.

DONT SKIP THE ISOLATION TRANSFORMER. That's the rule.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
the huge copper thing in the bottom of a cabinet "ISOLATES" the monitor, so that +/- are separate from the EARTH (TM) / ground (if you're a yankee). This makes it safe like a car, where the chassis is negative relative to the power.

Running any AC appliance unisolated carries a large risk of injury at the least.

D9200 does not need one, most older do. Check service manuals and refer to qualified personnel if you are not confident performing the repairs.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
the huge copper thing in the bottom of a cabinet "ISOLATES" the monitor, so that +/- are separate from the EARTH (TM) / ground (if you're a yankee). This makes it safe like a car, where the chassis is negative relative to the power.

Running any AC appliance unisolated carries a large risk of injury at the least.

D9200 does not need one, most older do. Check service manuals and refer to qualified personnel if you are not confident performing the repairs.

Ah gotcha.

I think I may try and wiggle the convergence strip around and see if that helps anything just in case they've drooped a bit (although I swear I didn't see any when I looked inside, but they may be under all that dust). Since you can't seem to buy new ones and I really don't feel like tearing apart old monitors to find used ones, I may just declare my TV 'good enough'. I honestly wonder how badly askew my old childhood TV was that I played all these games on originally. Probably just as bad as this one or worse. :)

BTW why is it that the Neo Geo seems to use a lot of that red overscan area for displaying graphics? Out of all of my systems the Neo Geo (consolized MVS) and my Genesis seem to want to display in almost all of that red zone. This happened on my old PVM too. I had to use the underscan button for them.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've had all sorts of fun with convergence strips on my cab's monitor and it's a real bitch to get it right. Use one hand and put the other in your pocket... also be careful.

Using the Neo Geo's crosshatch test screen is great but remember it doesn't have to be perfect, get it close and then try a game out because near enough is honestly good enough when playing.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I've had all sorts of fun with convergence strips on my cab's monitor and it's a real bitch to get it right. Use one hand and put the other in your pocket... also be careful.

Using the Neo Geo's crosshatch test screen is great but remember it doesn't have to be perfect, get it close and then try a game out because near enough is honestly good enough when playing.

That's the thing, I'm sure it's probably good enough now and I'm only noticing it because I'm looking for it. Still, as long as it's not too difficult I'd like to get it as straight as possible.

BTW I read somewhere that you can use magnetic tape in place of convergence strips. Has anyone tried this?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
After all that struggle I just gave up and put it back together. It looks just fine on 99% of games. If there's a list or something (like on my multicart menus) you can tell it's a little off, but in regular gameplay it's just fine. Of course my Neo Geo games are cut off on the sides, but I had that problem on my PVM too.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does anyone around the Greensboro/Burlington/RDU NC area need any PC CRTs? I swapped my Viewsonic 19? inch monitor for a LCD finally, and I've got a 21 inch Dell Trinitron kicking around as well. Free to a good home, I'll drive it out somewhere not too far away if I like you.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Picked up this little 9” Panasonic recently. It’s just RF and nothing special, but I couldn’t resist this cute little white TV. Pretty clean too. I’d like to imagine it hanging out in some grandma’s breakfast nook.

724d9e4ade0560b034b8f1d253d9bd85.jpg

43d78f21184175f66446feb421d992a9.jpg

42ffd862b185fd2d9cbaab1417d49a87.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up this little 9” Panasonic recently. It’s just RF and nothing special, but I couldn’t resist this cute little white TV. Pretty clean too. I’d like to imagine it hanging out in some grandma’s breakfast nook.

724d9e4ade0560b034b8f1d253d9bd85.jpg

43d78f21184175f66446feb421d992a9.jpg

42ffd862b185fd2d9cbaab1417d49a87.jpg

Theres something about white counter top style tv's that I really dig.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
You can probably make it look a little better on the sides. Like with most crts, geometry is never perfect especially on consumer sets.

Here is a good guide on what might help. Remember to write down your original service menu codes.

https://imgur.com/a/wZxFs

But yeah to fix that minor horizontal bowing a yoke adjustment or a magnet placed there would probably fix it.

Like lachlan stated though for something minor I wouldn't do a yoke adjustment (up/down/left/right) cause it will probably throw your convergence off.

Dude fucking thanks. I may finally be able to sit down and get my damn crt as perfect as can be.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Got myself a Sony KV-25FX20E.

Wonderful set and even has an integrated subwoofer.

Subwoofer output

The only problem is that I can't see, for the life of me, how can I set it up so the vertical geometry on the sides is perfect. I've been playing with Pin Amp, Pin Phase, V Bow, V Angle, U Pin Amp and L Pin Amp but I can't get it perfect on the sides (vertical lines are a bit bent).

EDIT: BTW, I don't know why this TV set does this but when I input a RGB signal via SCART1 (the only one that admits RGB) first it goes to "normal" scart

and I have to change the input in order to get the 3 dots on the signal info (stating that is RGB)

I've tried also with gamecube and SNES with the same result. The TV always goes to the normal SCART even though it displays the RGB signal properly...

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Can't help you with the inputs, but for geometry, if it's something that you can't fix through the service menu you normally have to open it up and try something with the hardware. The normal place to start is capacitors.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Failing caps causing bowing is pretty common on these trinis. Mine is the same way but I don't care enough to fuck with it right now.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Got a B&O beocenter av5. Picture is amazing and the sound beats most stereo sets from back then. Also has 3 scart port and s-vhs and s-video.

IMG_20181203_231138.jpg

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Yes it does, I was surprised myself. Also have a mx7000. Which is nice but no contest compared to this one.
Going to buy rgb scart for the megadrive. It is now hooked up with the tulips in a scart thingy and stereo sound pulled from headphonejack to the scart.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Can't help you with the inputs, but for geometry, if it's something that you can't fix through the service menu you normally have to open it up and try something with the hardware. The normal place to start is capacitors.

Thanks so much for answering. I've still got the hope that with a specific combination of geometry settings I can get it fixed. I'm yet to find it though.
I've downloaded 240p suite but doesn't help me (AFAIK) more in terms of geometry than the MVS service menu grid.
Recapping the TV may be the solution but that would require either professional (paid) help, that I'm not willing to spend; or a skillset that I don't have...

Failing caps causing bowing is pretty common on these trinis. Mine is the same way but I don't care enough to fuck with it right now.

I guess I'll be doing pretty much the same. Get used to it and end up forgetting about it.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Got cucked on a Sony 27FV310. guy had it listed for free an hour away from me and was only posted for 25 minutes. Contacted the guy and he said it was still available and then all of a sudden ad taken down. Some fagger must have offered him money. Whoever that is I fart in your general direction. Nice to see the retro video game market scalping extends to consumer sets lol.

Also picked up a JVC D series. AV-27D201 for $5 and a 1 hour drive round trip. Has color bleeding on red and some linearity problems but I have no remote. Ordered one online which should allow me to correct the red push and linearity (hopefully). Looks real good though.

rPtGjEA.jpg