Page 248 of 266 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258 ... LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 6638

Thread: CRT Fetish Thread

Camel Slug

So what are the good choices if you cant get a XM PVM or a BVM rgb monitor ? I would want something I can carry without murdering my back. I see good deals on wegas, Trinitrons and XBRs. What would be key?
    Would love this but I cant lift it and I don't exactly see myself talking a friend into helping.
    https://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/6031183880.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesagwa View Post
    If a middle aged woman shitting on a glass coffee table shocks you, let me welcome you to the internet as you must be new here.

schnuth is one
    DUMBASS username.

Quote Originally Posted by djjimmyjames View Post
    Would love this but I cant lift it and I don't exactly see myself talking a friend into helping.
    Holy cow that's a freaking beast. My back hurts just looking at the pics.

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

Not really a fan of HD CRTs.* Don't get that one unless you have a really niche use case where it makes sense. There are normal CRTs abound which are far more suitable for retrogames.

*Other than replacement monitors in beatmania IIDX cabinets. Then I'm a fan.

Bunker Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Zerrminator View Post
    Here's what my 1 Chip SNES looks like on a 20L2

Looks great mate. Just out of interest care to share any picture setting changes you may have made on yours? How does a test grid look like for the geometry if you have 240p test suite?

Nintendo Network ID: JamieJC666
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1075-0711-3225 (Feel free to add me, just message me your code)

Bunker Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Zerrminator View Post
    Here's what my 1 Chip SNES looks like on a 20L2

Picture looks great from your 1 Chip!

Also just to compare here is my older 2 chip snes with similar shots taken with my note 3, running the colour tone of the PVM on the D95 option. Also in RGB.

20170307_202849_resized.jpg

20170307_203041_resized.jpg

Here is a shot of my pal Mega Drive also in RBG 50Hz, the picture so much better and sharper from the Mega Drive compared to my SNES!

20170304_110304_resized.jpg
    Last edited by jamie666; 03-07-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1075-0711-3225 (Feel free to add me, just message me your code)

Rugal's Thug

So what are the good choices if you cant get a XM PVM or a BVM rgb monitor ? I would want something I can carry without murdering my back. I see good deals on wegas, Trinitrons and XBRs. What would be key?
    While there seems to be a bunch of the 36" Trinitrons out there, you can also find them in 27" and 32" sizes. Personally, I would go for a 27" SD Trinitron.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDean View Post
    Personally, I would go for a 27" SD Trinitron.
    Yup, late model component capable if possible. These sets have nicer 3 line digital comb filters so if you have some composite only systems they'll look their best. Plus, being newer they have more of a chance of having less hours on them.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

You're are better off steering clear of HD CRT's for your retro gaming purposes. Stick to SD units.

Camel Slug

Quote Originally Posted by daithidownunder View Post
    You're are better off steering clear of HD CRT's for your retro gaming purposes. Stick to SD units.
    Do they make SD sets with component?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesagwa View Post
    If a middle aged woman shitting on a glass coffee table shocks you, let me welcome you to the internet as you must be new here.

Tesse's Maintainence Man

Do they make SD sets with component?
    I've had several that have it. A lot of the later model CRTs before HD CRTs had component input and take 240p/480i happily (but not 480p)

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

There are many.

Juzoh's Gym Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    I've had several that have it. A lot of the later model CRTs before HD CRTs had component input and take 240p/480i happily (but not 480p)
    i recently sold my samsung crt that had component. DAMN good set but unfortunately i had to make room.

i find that a TON of later model SD CRT have component so it shouldn't be hard at all to find a good one at a thrift shop or something.

Tesse's Maintainence Man

Yeah I've had a toshiba, sony, and some off brand CRTs even with component in. I think the only one I have left is my 27 inch toshiba but man it looks nice.

I've started moving my love of CRTs toward projectors. I made a post in the projector thread about the one I picked up recently. It has composite, S-video, component, 2xVGA, and DVI inputs, including audio in/out. It takes 240p/480i on the component, and even has built in optional de-interlacing (!) which makes 480i component look MUCH better. Some projectors will even let you slide with 240P RGB on the VGA inputs, but mine won't (that said, transcoding RGB to component first works just fine).

If you have the room for a projector, I can't recommend it enough. 4 player split screen mario cart leaves each player with a 45 inch screen lol

Juzoh's Gym Trainer

ive always been really interested in projectors but isnt there a latency issue?

Tesse's Maintainence Man

Quote Originally Posted by Wachenroder View Post
    ive always been really interested in projectors but isnt there a latency issue?
    I'm pretty picky about lag, and I haven't noticed anything. Like, I can notice if a controller adapter introduces lag, and I haven't had any issues with this particular projector. Perhaps something newer that is HDMI native might have an issue, but this one was like 6000 to 9000 dollars in its day. I know cheaper ones can suffer bad lag (worse than a framemeister, sadly). Perhaps I got lucky, but I've played master mode on monkey ball 2, and plenty of NHL 15, and have had no problems.

I might try the test outlined here though, I would be curious to see. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rojectors.html
    Last edited by skate323k137; 03-09-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Morden's Lackey

I'm looking to do a comparison between the different SNES console versions soon. I know it's been done a million times, but I'd love to see the results on a few different monitors. I took some quick and dirty pics with my PVM-14M4U that I posted in the recent purchases thread. When I do a better in depth comparison I'll use my XP29 and a few other PVM/BVMs and be sure to post on here

SNES Comparison
    Last edited by 3rdStrikeMike; 03-15-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Bunker Buster

Mentioned this before but on some colors I'm getting a image trail or color bleed effect. Happens both from my SNES and GameCube in RGB on my Sony PVM. Very noticeable on text and always goes to the right.

Take a look at the screenshots of my menu and you can see what I mean.

Its not that noticeable while playing games as picture apart from this looks great.

I would however like to find a local tv repair place and get the monitor serviced to eliminate this issue.

Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it? Thinking a new cap kit?

20170318_113828_resized.jpg20170318_113833_resized.jpg

Neo Bubble Buster

i owned a sony trinitron 27inch around idk 2006-7 that had a flat screen and component great tv. Paid 400 USD at the time my next tv was my first LCD a 32inch sony (low end sadly) not bravia. I have not personally owned a sony since though now have samsung and vizo lcd but looking to get a trinitron or pvm and nicer screens down the road when money alows

Bashful Neophyte

>Mentioned this before but on some colors I'm getting a image trail or color bleed effect. Happens both from my SNES and GameCube in RGB on my Sony PVM. Very noticeable on text and always goes to the right.

I've had dozens of pvms/bvms, this issue is usually on the battered units, think it might be physical damaging from dropping it etc :/

I had a 2chip PAL SNES, recently got a SFC Jr and the image is noticeably better, PAL SNES got sold

Bunker Buster

Yeah its a odd issue. This picture smearing that I'm having can apparently be solved with re capping the monitor. I'm just in the process of trying to find someone in the UK that can service it.

The issue however is worse when turning the set on from cold and then once it warms up after a few minutes its much better.

Take a look at the following pics:

Cold on start up

Cold 1.jpg

Cold 2.jpg

Warm after a few mins

Warm 1.jpg

Warm 2.jpg

As you can see after a few mins once the monitor has warmed up the picture is much better and the streaking has reduced.

赤裸裸的汽車人

Rom's
    Is that possessive or a conjuction?
    Official Chat: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/misc.php?do=flashchat

dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.

Bunker Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    Rom's
    Is that possessive or a conjuction?
    My mistake

20170320_205236_resized.jpg

Crossed Swords Squire

Lol.

Tesse's Maintainence Man

The streaking I've been told can also just be a high hour tube. Not to say recapping it wouldn't be awesome, but just something to keep in mind.

BTW anyone in the midwest want a 20M4U for parts? It was working fine but then acted like it lost sync or almost vertical collapse type issue. It's still intact/unmolested... it's yours for free if you come get it. I have too many other projects at the moment. Greater Lansing, MI area.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    The streaking I've been told can also just be a high hour tube. Not to say recapping it wouldn't be awesome, but just something to keep in mind.
    That sort of streaking, especially since warming up lessens the issue, is most certainly related to caps needing replaced. That's not to say the same monitor might also being getting up there, and also have that issues, but it's certainly not apparent in those photos, and wouldn't be that visible nor that color.

Thread Information