CRT Fetish Thread

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Your best bet is to find some super old tv repair shop. Most newer places won't touch CRTs anymore. Be prepared to pay out the ass though. If you think you're going to get a PVM serviced for less than 150 bucks, you have another coming.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Does anyone in the U.S. still service PVMs, or are we in "hoard everything & hope nothing dies" territory now? My 23 inch medical monitor looks like it's on it's last legs. I'm tempted to have someone mod one of my consumer sets for RGB at this point.

If not, I can guarantee that alot of these old CRT tech repair guys (and probably new ones coming soon) will start coming out of the woodwork once the market for CRT repairs start to really open up. I think the retro gaming niche has enough wiggle room to be workable.

People are paying stupid money for these pro monitors. These people WILL pay to have them serviced when the time comes. Hopefully repair prices dont end up too crazy.

But yeah I already have 5 monitors (6 if I ever find a 14L5). I am at my limit so I would definitely prefer to have these things repaired rather then hoard anymore then I already am

Your best bet is to find some super old tv repair shop. Most newer places won't touch CRTs anymore. Be prepared to pay out the ass though. If you think you're going to get a PVM serviced for less than 150 bucks, you have another coming.

Thats almost more then i've payed for all my monitors combined. 150 seems doable though. When my 1954Q dies i'd be willing to pay that to have it fixed....depending on what goes wrong of course.

Last edited:

Dragon89o

New Challenger

Well I'm looking at trying to get my Megaview AM-4201R cleaned out, recapped, and hopefully get the fan replaced with a quite fan. Also hopefully a calibration option if it's needed.
Personally $150 sounds fine for certain monitors but too expensive currently for other monitors. Personally kind of trying to find someone willing to make a house call. I'm not looking to move that 300lb beast.

If not, I can guarantee that alot of these old CRT tech repair guys (and probably new ones coming soon) will start coming out of the woodwork once the market for CRT repairs start to really open up. I think the retro gaming niche has enough wiggle room to be workable.

People are paying stupid money for these pro monitors. These people WILL pay to have them serviced when the time comes. Hopefully repair prices dont end up too crazy.

But yeah I already have 5 monitors (6 if I ever find a 14L5). I am at my limit so I would definitely prefer to have these things repaired rather then hoard anymore then I already am

Thats almost more then i've payed for all my monitors combined. 150 seems doable though. When my 1954Q dies i'd be willing to pay that to have it fixed....depending on what goes wrong of course.

Hopefully you are right and finding people who are able to do it becomes more common. How much did you end up paying to repair each of your crts and what was done to each of them?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Well I'm looking at trying to get my Megaview AM-4201R cleaned out, recapped, and hopefully get the fan replaced with a quite fan. Also hopefully a calibration option if it's needed.
Personally $150 sounds fine for certain monitors but too expensive currently for other monitors. Personally kind of trying to find someone willing to make a house call. I'm not looking to move that 300lb beast.

Hopefully you are right and finding people who are able to do it becomes more common. How much did you end up paying to repair each of your crts and what was done to each of them?

I doubt they would do a house call and I heard recapping a monitor isn't a 1 hour thing.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I doubt they would do a house call and I heard recapping a monitor isn't a 1 hour thing.

Wont pay more than $150 for a pro monitor but wants a crt tech to do a house call :lolz: cost you more than the fucking thing itself!

I seriously doubt CRT repair will become more common because a bunch of retro nerds bought a bunch of old shit. Who're you kidding? this tech is old, dead, discontinued eg. not manufactured anymore. Repairs will be costly and limited.

Beckett

n00b
So does the JVC-BM-H1900SU do 480p? Wasn't able to find that information online from when I had looked it up.
I picked up one a little while ago but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I think I connected it up once to just make sure it would turn on and work.

Unfortunately no, 480i only. It’s a similar deal to the 20F1U.

That being said, all content on it looks amazing. If you really need to play 480p content (Such as Dreamcast games that cannot output RGB), I would recommend picking up a Extron VSC and downscale to 480i.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Wont pay more than $150 for a pro monitor but wants a crt tech to do a house call :lolz: cost you more than the fucking thing itself!

I seriously doubt CRT repair will become more common because a bunch of retro nerds bought a bunch of old shit. Who're you kidding? this tech is old, dead, discontinued eg. not manufactured anymore. Repairs will be costly and limited.

Depends on where you're at I suppose, but around here you can absolutely still get a tech to do a house call and work on a CRT.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Depends on where you're at I suppose, but around here you can absolutely still get a tech to do a house call and work on a CRT.

Maybe so around your way but I still can't see a certified tech making a house call and only getting paid $150 for a job that could take 3+ hours. Skate told me it took him damn near 8 hours to do a full recap on one of his arcade monitors. I've heard of Pinball techs doing house calls and charging a arm and a leg. This is just my 2 cents. Maybe they do charge those prices.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Around here you're lucky to find someone who can even solder anymore. Even the arcade techs here have given up on CRTs and you see lcd swaps everywhere :( The tv shops just swap entire parts and bill the warranty.

To be fair that 7 or 8 hours was a d9200 with 77 caps. Still, even a small monitor would be a few hours I'd think. Plus post work for geometry and convergence etc.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Around here you're lucky to find someone who can even solder anymore. Even the arcade techs here have given up on CRTs and you see lcd swaps everywhere :( The tv shops just swap entire parts and bill the warranty.

To be fair that 7 or 8 hours was a d9200 with 77 caps. Still, even a small monitor would be a few hours I'd think. Plus post work for geometry and convergence etc.

Ok Got it. I give you props for even attempting a job like that. I just wouldn't have the patience or the skills.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Thanks bro. I've been soldering almost 20 years, I just got comfortable enough over the last few to tackle CRTs. The key word you said was patience. The patience is harder than the actual work.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
It's looking more & more likely that I'll have to do my own recapping at some point then. The problem is I've got almost no education in that field outside of desoldering pokemon save batteries & replacing them. Are there any good books, or youtube courses, etc, I can read up on to start slowly familiarizing myself with terms & safety procedures before I attempt to do a recap? I don't want to end up accidentally touching a cap inside a Trinitron & killing myself. video games are serious business.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
It's looking more & more likely that I'll have to do my own recapping at some point then. The problem is I've got almost no education in that field outside of desoldering pokemon save batteries & replacing them. Are there any good books, or youtube courses, etc, I can read up on to start slowly familiarizing myself with terms & safety procedures before I attempt to do a recap? I don't want to end up accidentally touching a cap inside a Trinitron & killing myself. video games are serious business.

There are tons.

I recommend the PACE soldering videos, at least the first few, for worksmanship and understanding.

Beyond that, there are plenty of youtube videos on discharging CRTs and such. once you're discharged, generally pull the anode cap and neckboard and carefully separate the PCBs (neckbd/main chassis). Take it slow and you'll be fine.

If you've replaced a save battery you're halfway there. Arcade chassis are often single side plating and not thru plated, so desoldering is significantly easier than say a dual layer game PCB, since solder sticks to the pad itself and not the inside of the holes.

(side note, anyone know if nanao ms2933 and 2931 are single side or thru plate?)

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
There are tons.
I recommend the PACE soldering videos, at least the first few, for worksmanship and understanding

Looks like I have a new project then. I really wish I had started learning this years ago. I want to fix up some CRTs I have in storage, but before that I want to work on some less desirable "throw away" tubes as a test, just so I don't mess up my main CRTs. With prices going up like they are though, it's looking like burning through a few crts as a learning experience is going to cost me.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Start with a monitor (or better, junk PCB or something) you can afford to lose and have no hope for. A few hours and a $30 cap kit will go a long way for learning in that case. You just might get lucky and end up with a bitchin' monitor.

Here's some shots of that D9200 I did, with a PS2 running in progressive scan. I still have one more of these to finish >_<

PS2 RGB > Extron Sync Stabilizer > D9200

20180117_135313.jpg

20180117_135327_HDR.jpg

20180117_135301_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Dragon89o

New Challenger
There was a LOT caps to replace but it worth. It's a tedious task but man! what huge difference!
The colors are so vibrant right now that surpass my other KX-29HV3 (PVM2950QJ) and even my BVM also the brightess and contrast are really but really good
I strong recommend a full recap to this old monitors

I'll soon to do it to my KX-29HV3 for sure

How long did it end up taking you to do the entire job?

I never said I wouldn't pay more. Simply said $150 didn't sound bad for certain monitors but for some it wouldn't be worth it. Also certain monitors are pretty hard to come by and it would be easier to have it repaired then to find another. I'd also not like risking breaking it transporting it to there and back. Considering there is narrow stairs to go out of my basement and then back down to bring it back lol. That Mitsubishi is 42' and 300 lbs. It's a 4 man job to move it.

Unfortunately no, 480i only. It’s a similar deal to the 20F1U.

That being said, all content on it looks amazing. If you really need to play 480p content (Such as Dreamcast games that cannot output RGB), I would recommend picking up a Extron VSC and downscale to 480i.

Yeah, I might try just using it as another option for 240p. I still have my BVM-D24 for anything higher.

Oh my 150 estimate was just to hit the bench.

What do you think would be the estimate for the full works including a house call, lol?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
What do you think would be the estimate for the full works including a house call, lol?

On a guesstimate, with housecall, plus the labor? 500+
That's being nice, his housecall fee is prolly anywhere from 150-300 per hour.

neomeo

New Challenger
I am actually sad that nothing lasts in this world. I got a pvm but it has tube errors now. The technician told me it’s the end of the tv. I went out and hunted for this tv for a long time and after 1 month of use to find out that the tube is giving in. I am gonna go the framemeister and ossc route connected to pro gaming lcd or oled.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I am actually sad that nothing lasts in this world. I got a pvm but it has tube errors now. The technician told me it’s the end of the tv. I went out and hunted for this tv for a long time and after 1 month of use to find out that the tube is giving in. I am gonna go the framemeister and ossc route connected to pro gaming lcd or oled.

Yup, we will all be going this route eventually. Enjoy it while it lasts.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
If anyone in the NC/SC/GA region wants to give a guy in Augusta, GA a call, let me know. He worked on my PVM-20L2MD and it's perfect now. I paid $150 for his time to take it down, diagnose it, parts, repair time.

I hope my stuff lasts a long time so I don't have to go flat panel for my retro gaming.

Sony PVM-20L2MD
Utrak KM1900CN (brand new in box, factor sealed)
Sony KV-27FV310 (brand new in box, factor sealed)

Those are what I have right now.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Sony KV-27FV310 (brand new in box, factor sealed)

How are you finding NIB stuff out of curiousity? I found a NIB Panasonic BT-M1950Y once but that was a freak thing. I'm impressed you found TWO of them!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
How are you finding NIB stuff out of curiousity? I found a NIB Panasonic BT-M1950Y once but that was a freak thing. I'm impressed you found TWO of them!

Places like HHgregg had a ton of stuff when they went out of business, my buddy bought quite a few crts and has them in storage. He sells them on ebay and CL for a hefty profit lately.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher

The FV310 was on Craigslist and I drove 8hrs round trip to get it lol. The Ultrak I tracked down after seeing someone on Facebook getting one, shipping was only $40. It was awesome to open those boxes.