CRT Fetish Thread

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've talked with patrick over the phone twice actually. He's who I got my BVM-D24E1WU from. If he still services CRTs, I wonder if a road trip is in order.

edit: So it looks like pat actually sells self repair kits for 20M2Us. This might be my first crt repair project if all goes well. has anyone here used one of pat's kits?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192426156297/

I saw those kits and was really tempted to get one for my 20M2U but since it's currently working just fine I didn't bite.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Here are some pics from my $5 thrift store CRT that was still new in the box. I had it hooked up to the OSSC 1.6 with an HDMI to VGA converter. It looked fantastic and the colors were great. Unfortunately it is really hard to capture with a camera. I know it is normally that way with all CRT pics, but this monitor especially tends to look dark and much softer image-wise in photos. These were the only once that really turned out well. Anyways, here are the pics!

7841160131705548187.jpg
5432981200295695368.jpg
4420106908923126933.jpg
5432456719326888800.jpg
4679248686839800296.jpg
1013539945783852828.jpg

2. back:
xigf5vf.jpg

Where did you get this VGA cable?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've talked with patrick over the phone twice actually. He's who I got my BVM-D24E1WU from. If he still services CRTs, I wonder if a road trip is in order.

edit: So it looks like pat actually sells self repair kits for 20M2Us. This might be my first crt repair project if all goes well. has anyone here used one of pat's kits?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192426156297/

17 caps for $40? That's a hell of a markup.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I am actually sad that nothing lasts in this world. I got a pvm but it has tube errors now. The technician told me it’s the end of the tv. I went out and hunted for this tv for a long time and after 1 month of use to find out that the tube is giving in. I am gonna go the framemeister and ossc route connected to pro gaming lcd or oled.

There are CRTs out there from the early to late 2000s that are either practically new, if not in fact completely unused. They're not necessarily PVMs, usually JVCs, but they're just as good. They're a much better option than a Sony at the end of its life, the way to go if you want monitors that will last years and not suddenly crap out on you within months. I have 5 monitors, none from before 2002... all new/like new, low hours on the ones with usage counters, or at minimum still in prime condition.

The end game for me is not to hoard old CRTs for life. It's to have CRTs until modern TV picture quality, scalers and CRT/scanline filters improve to the point where they can emulate CRTs perfectly. I think OLED has gotten there with contrast and colors but I'm waiting until reponse time comes down to under 20ms, maybe under 15ms.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Good points, but I think some of these crts that were used extensively probably just need a monitor recap. With this in mind it does depend if they were used at max contrast etc.

Some monitors already have sub 1 frame lag, but good luck trying to make 480i look good and have that lag.

Motion blur is another problem of modern tech for our retro games as well.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61733

Last edited:
Recently i made a full recap to my Sony Profell KX-21hv1s also knowing as sony Pvm2130qm (Pag277)

Last weekend i made the final adjustment to it

First issue was with the Red color. I'd changed just one transistor before but this time i change the all 3 and finally the color is perfect showing
Qy2uHCZ.jpg

As I don't have a color meter i used the THX blue filter to check color bleeding

bjiFtJQ.jpg

Second problem was the Horizontal Frequence that was a little low causing sync issues to my Raspberry pi

NH0NII5.jpg

Last but not least was the Geometry and convergence. I bought some fridge magnets for the geometry and a use one hand saw razor blade for the convergence as i don't had any professional permolloy. It did the job so I'm ok with it

EdZdpKJ.jpg

Tc75LF7.jpg

I hope that I don't need to mess with it again any time soon :lolz:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Incredible job you have done there silverrock! Monitor looks very nice.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Here are some pics from my $5 thrift store CRT that was still new in the box. I had it hooked up to the OSSC 1.6 with an HDMI to VGA converter. It looked fantastic and the colors were great. Unfortunately it is really hard to capture with a camera. I know it is normally that way with all CRT pics, but this monitor especially tends to look dark and much softer image-wise in photos. These were the only once that really turned out well. Anyways, here are the pics!

View attachment 48586
View attachment 48587
View attachment 48589
View attachment 48590
View attachment 48591
View attachment 48588

Real nice monitor. I see you rocking that Dragonballfighterz back there. Cell is too good

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Real nice monitor. I see you rocking that Dragonballfighterz back there. Cell is too good

Good eye :) That's one of my friends that comes each weekend for my fighting game night we do every Saturday. We also do retro games that night as well. I haven't done much with the monitor since I have been on a month long work trip. I can't wait to get home and mess with it some more. I also need to practice some DBZ. They've all been leveling up hard while I have no access to it here in SLC.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Good eye :) That's one of my friends that comes each weekend for my fighting game night we do every Saturday. We also do retro games that night as well. I haven't done much with the monitor since I have been on a month long work trip. I can't wait to get home and mess with it some more. I also need to practice some DBZ. They've all been leveling up hard while I have no access to it here in SLC.

Yeah Ive been busy all month moving and stuff, and I'm finally moved in and able to practice DBFZ. Our local ranking battle tournaments start this weekend.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Not your normal post for this thread but I recapped the analog board (chassis) on this 1986 Mac SE and it's looking great. Glorious monochrome scanlines.

20180220_001300.jpg

20180220_001228.jpg

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
That looks great Skate! My wife had a SE/30 back in college that we used to have a lot of fun with.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Found a 13 inch Panasonic CRT being thrown away locally. Looks like it's already broken (vhs tape stuck inside it), but as long as it powers up I'm hopeful I can use it as a "test" CRT to teach me RGB modding. It snowed earlier today so I'm giving it a few weeks in storage before I open it up. Hopefully it didn't get too wet. Back says it was made in 2002, so I'm hoping it uses a SONY Trinitron style tube. Most companies used sony's design after 1998 after their patent ran out from what I've been told.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Most companies used sony's design after 1998 after their patent ran out from what I've been told.

You've been told some major bullshit. Only Mitsubishi made flat aperture grille tubes and only for PC/pro monitors ("M" tubes), not TVs ("A" tubes) which was the bulk of their production. Other manufacturers (which are very few anyway) sticked to what they were doing (shadow mask) because to make AG tubes they should have changed their factory lines completely and nobody could afford that or thought it was worth it. Building a CRT plant is bloody expensive. When Thomson expanded their business to the US they took over RCA tube facilities and when Matsushita (Panasonic) opened a CRT factory in Europe in 1994 they didn't build one from the scratch, they bought Nokia's old plant for the same reason, the costs to build a CRT factory are too high. And then you read these "CRT enthusiasts" born in 1993 that think it's feasible that small runs of CRTs will start being made again one day because of them. HA!

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
You've been told some major bullshit. Only Mitsubishi made flat aperture grille tubes and only for PC/pro monitors ("M" tubes), not TVs ("A" tubes) which was the bulk of their production. Other manufacturers (which are very few anyway) sticked to what they were doing (shadow mask) because to make AG tubes they should have changed their factory lines completely and nobody could afford that or thought it was worth it. Building a CRT plant is bloody expensive. When Thomson expanded their business to the US they took over RCA tube facilities and when Matsushita (Panasonic) opened a CRT factory in Europe in 1994 they didn't build one from the scratch, they bought Nokia's old plant for the same reason, the costs to build a CRT factory are too high. And then you read these "CRT enthusiasts" born in 1993 that think it's feasible that small runs of CRTs will start being made again one day because of them. HA!

Exactly this- never gonna happen.
Last CRT I imported (!) from the US was a Wells Gardner D9200. Fucker cost a ton in customs and had all sorts of crazy issues. Still the best monitor I ever used for a cab.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Amen.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Do some of the JVC monitors (like ones from the DT series which are marked on the JVC Pro website as having 'Flat-screen CRT Aperture Grille' tubes) in fact have tubes made by Mitsubishi (or *gasp* by Sony themselves) in them? (which would be weird considering JVC was usually the company who supplied tubes for quite a few monitors made by other companies like Ikegami and Panasonic).

And not all consumer TV's have "A" tubes in them, correct? I know the service manual for the consumer Sony KV-27FV310 for instance has a "M" tube listed as being in it (don't know what others might have them as well).

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Do some of the JVC monitors (like ones from the DT series which are marked on the JVC Pro website as having 'Flat-screen CRT Aperture Grille' tubes) in fact have tubes made by Mitsubishi (or *gasp* by Sony themselves) in them?

Yes.

(which would be weird considering JVC was usually the company who supplied tubes for quite a few monitors made by other companies like Ikegami and Panasonic).

JVC wasn't a tube manufacturer. JVC on the tube label doesn't mean the tube is made by JVC but only that JVC wanted a label with their name on it. It was a common practice among TV/monitor manufacturers.

And not all consumer TV's have "A" tubes in them, correct? I know the service manual for the consumer Sony KV-27FV310 for instance has a "M" tube listed as being in it (don't know what others might have them as well).

Sony and Matsushita made M tubes for some of their TVs, which doesn't mean those tubes have as fine a pitch as a PC monitor though.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thanks for the detailed information.

Was it Sony or Mitsubishi that made the tubes for the JVC pro line?

Sony and Matsushita made M tubes for some of their TVs, which doesn't mean those tubes have as fine a pitch as a PC monitor though.
Do you happen to know the dot pitch (or AG pitch), or the TV Lines on the Sony FV310 series? That info doesn't seem to be anywhere and I always wondered...