CRT Fetish Thread

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
FINALLY got my home loan moving with contractors etc.

I have.... 700 lbs of crts? hell if I know. It won't be fun packing up, that's for sure.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
FINALLY got my home loan moving with contractors etc.

I have.... 700 lbs of crts? hell if I know. It won't be fun packing up, that's for sure.

Awesome! Hope everything goes smoothly! I can't wait to see your new set up :buttrock: Reminds me of my last move. There will still a few more too lol. I lucked out on only moving about 7 miles away, so I just made multiple trips with my Jeep Liberty.

Screenshot_20171021-061115.jpg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
New place has like 3x as much room. Gonna feel empty with my current rig lol.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
No CRT was heavier than my old Mitsubishi MegaView XC-3715C. Thing weighed in at 220lbs

Gateway DL36 could be the same or just a bit more. I've seen that one in person (but I swear it was larger, idk) and it is insanely large.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Awesome! Hope everything goes smoothly! I can't wait to see your new set up :buttrock: Reminds me of my last move. There will still a few more too lol. I lucked out on only moving about 7 miles away, so I just made multiple trips with my Jeep Liberty.

What is the NEC 2nd from the right in your image? It has the NEC logo in the center of it.

No CRT was heavier than my old Mitsubishi MegaView XC-3715C. Thing weighed in at 220lbs (100kg) and even two of us found that difficult going up a few flights to my apartment at the time. Never again.

Yeah, cnet says the Mitsubishi AM-4201r is "275.6lbs" but I swear I thought it was 300lbs or no less then 280 but either way it was a pain to move. I'm paying people to move that thing when I move houses.

Gateway DL36 could be the same or just a bit more. I've seen that one in person (but I swear it was larger, idk) and it is insanely large.

I didn't even know about that monitor. Are they hard to come by and what is the general consensus of the picture quality?

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
What is the NEC 2nd from the right in your image? It has the NEC logo in the center of it.

It's a NEC CM series monitor. It has a very similar case to an NEC XM/XP monitor. It has a 15/24khz tube. I actually got this one from Skate. I know he got them from Michigan State. We never found a whole lot of info on them after doing a fair bit of digging around online.

liwer

n00b
Hi guys,

My PVM 2030 for S-video does not show the centered image (all systems), RGB covers the whole screen, depending on the game it can be a bit bigger.

S-video
20180925_123412.jpg

RGB
20180925_123607.jpg

If adjust S-video input with the potentiometers, will it affect the RGB input or is each one independent when calibrating? :scratch:

Excuse my ignorance

Thank you.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I didn't even know about that monitor. Are they hard to come by and what is the general consensus of the picture quality?

I've only seen one at a trade show right around the time Gateway was selling that PC. I have never seen one in a store or known anyone who bought one. They have the same problem any large TV has, anytime one shows up, it likely isn't going to stray far from there. As for picture quality, I only saw Scandisk being run on it and it looked alright.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hi guys,

My PVM 2030 for S-video does not show the centered image (all systems), RGB covers the whole screen, depending on the game it can be a bit bigger.

S-video
20180925_123412.jpg

RGB
20180925_123607.jpg

If adjust S-video input with the potentiometers, will it affect the RGB input or is each one independent when calibrating? :scratch:

Excuse my ignorance

Thank you.

Why would you want to play in S-Video if you could play in rgb?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Because I'm not going to modify the Nintendo 64 or the 3DO, to play for RGB.

Just throw both those consoles in the Garbage. That's where they belong anyways. Problem Solved.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Just throw both those consoles in the Garbage. That's where they belong anyways. Problem Solved.

Look at RAZO here laying down the truth, that's a +1 to you my good sir.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Figure I'd put this here for any Dutch or Northern-Belgian CRT heads in here, came across this Marktplaats auction for several Sony BVMs and PVMs, JVC CVMs and a Barco CVM. The few 20" PVMs probably aren't that interesting given they all seem to be non-RGB, lower line models, but the JVC 20" CVM definitely is interesting as it's a 750TVL RGB monitor. The 14" Sonys are more interesting, given there's several HR PVMs and BVMs in the mix. The 14" JVC doesn't have RGB from what I can see, no idea on the Barco.

The price is where this gets interesting, the seller in the description notes he wants 45 euros per display. That's an utter steal for the higher end PVMs and BVMs, and I'd have gone and grabbed me one if it wasn't some 300km across the country from me. Alas, that's just too far for me to travel for a secondary display, even at such a steal.

Last edited:

Demitri1983

Cheng's Errand Boy
Picked up a Toshiba 20af41, they have really good reviews but haven't had a moment to run through testing the inputs. Any one happen to know they the line count on these are? I cant seem to find it on the web. Thanks.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I have a Panasonic CT-27D11E that I'm using for my consoles. I'm using a Shinybow SCART to Component adapter with it and it seems to work really nice. My only problem is that the picture is tilted a bit and I can't figure out how to fix it. If you look at these pictures you'll see that the left side has a bit of a tilt, but it's not just a normal tilt as the right side shows a different kind of tilt. I entered the Serviceman menu but I didn't see anything to do with geometry controls other than V-Size and centering. I'm no stranger to cracking open the back of the TV (I have it open now actually) but just twisting the yoke a bit isn't going to fix this I think. What kind of adjustment do I need to get this back to a reasonable state? IS there anything I can do?

There's also a problem with some bowing inward in the center on the bottom (see the last picture) that I can't figure out how to fix either. Any ideas/

tv_1.jpg

tv_3.jpg

tv_2.jpg

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Any suggestions on adjustments? Should I make the vertical overscan gap match the horizontal? I can control the vertical position and size and the horizontal position, but that's about it.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Any suggestions on adjustments? Should I make the vertical overscan gap match the horizontal? I can control the vertical position and size and the horizontal position, but that's about it.

All preference. If I'm stuck with over/underscan on one axis I usually match it (within reason)

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
All preference. If I'm stuck with over/underscan on one axis I usually match it (within reason)

That's what I was thinking. Otherwise I imagine the picture might get distorted a little.

It's a shame I can't do anything about the tilt on the sides, but other than tilt the WHOLE picture (by wiggling the yoke) I can't really do much.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
That's what I was thinking. Otherwise I imagine the picture might get distorted a little.

It's a shame I can't do anything about the tilt on the sides, but other than tilt the WHOLE picture (by wiggling the yoke) I can't really do much.

Uh.....huhuhuh.....he said, "wiggling the yoke" uh......huhuhuhu.....

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
For such a minor adjustment I really wouldn't be touching the yoke, you can end up with more problems than before.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
You can probably make it look a little better on the sides. Like with most crts, geometry is never perfect especially on consumer sets.

Here is a good guide on what might help. Remember to write down your original service menu codes.

https://imgur.com/a/wZxFs

But yeah to fix that minor horizontal bowing a yoke adjustment or a magnet placed there would probably fix it.

Like lachlan stated though for something minor I wouldn't do a yoke adjustment (up/down/left/right) cause it will probably throw your convergence off.

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
You can probably make it look a little better on the sides. Like with most crts, geometry is never perfect especially on consumer sets.

Here is a good guide on what might help. Remember to write down your original service menu codes.

But yeah to fix that minor horizontal bowing a yoke adjustment or a magnet placed there would probably fix it.

Like lachlan stated though for something minor I wouldn't do a yoke adjustment (up/down/left/right) cause it will probably throw your convergence off.

Unfortunately the serviceman menu only has vertical size/position and horizontal position (as far as geometry), it's really limited.

So tell me more about using a magnet. What size and where would I mount it? Wouldn't that throw all the color purity rings out of whack though?