CRT Fetish Thread

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Thank you again, and sorry but I'm not an audio expert... do you say this 'cause I could damage something, or 'cause with some passive speakers I simply could not hear the audio (without the risk of damage)?
Thanks

Not audio expert here either :D but you can suffer distortion if you use "big" loudspeakers and put the volume to the max.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You're not going to hurt anything, but it's not enough power for some big speakers. You'd probably have a hard time powering 6 1/2 inch bookshelves, but anything smaller would probably work. Also keep in mind most passive speakers are not shielded, so you have to keep them some distance from the screen.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
You're not going to hurt anything, but it's not enough power for some big speakers. You'd probably have a hard time powering 6 1/2 inch bookshelves, but anything smaller would probably work. Also keep in mind most passive speakers are not shielded, so you have to keep them some distance from the screen.

OK thanks.

Alternatively, I could use a pre-amplified speakers, or a mini-amplifier, always connected to the four (red-black) clamps? (I'll probably need a special cable...)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That would probably work fine, and some amplified setups can take the speaker wire directly (called high level input in amp lingo) but the better way would be to take your audio from the source and bypass the PVM entirely. My SCART to BNC adapter has a standard RCA audio out that I feed into a mini amplifier, I just run a standard RCA cord to it. If your using scart directly with the PVM you can buy a little scart breakout box that will give you RCA out without having to hack cables.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
That would probably work fine, and some amplified setups can take the speaker wire directly (called high level input in amp lingo) but the better way would be to take your audio from the source and bypass the PVM entirely. My SCART to BNC adapter has a standard RCA audio out that I feed into a mini amplifier, I just run a standard RCA cord to it. If your using scart directly with the PVM you can buy a little scart breakout box that will give you RCA out without having to hack cables.

Thank you... or since I have multiple RGB SCART sources (MVS, PS2, Genesis) I could buy a good RGB SCART SWITCHER with audio breakout in RCA. Right? :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, most scart switches have an RCA out, no need for a separate box.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
I just ordered a Philips SWV 2052 W/10 from Amazon, it should be RGB and it is with audio breakout.

I could pair it with the Yamaxa NX-50 speakers.

There are some suggestions as regards the care and use of CRT monitors and PVM in particular?
It is true that it's better to turn them on frequently rather than leave them off for a long time? (ehi, not a problem for me, but I'm curious :) )

Anyway, here there are a couple of pictures of my PVM running Art of Fighting :multi_co:

16060897661_5c5a513fd9_z.jpg

15876764279_91242cc988_z.jpg

16037059776_768bf699e9_z.jpg

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Awesome looks good! I like the wall graphics. Nothing really special. I clean my screen with a mix of 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Other than that just keep any vent holes dusted with compressed air, try not to put anything heavy on top, and degauss if you have a button for it every now and then. Enjoy!

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Obviously I will be scoffed at by the pro-monitor crowd, but last night i hooked up my genesis to my 24” trinitron with my scart>YUV converter. Decent results (even though the R line wasn’t active when I took this pic lol):

16059956162_0e7216b661_z.jpg

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Why would you be scoffed at? I loves me my PVMs, but that picture looks great.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Obviously I will be scoffed at by the pro-monitor crowd, but last night i hooked up my genesis to my 24” trinitron with my scart>YUV converter. Decent results (even though the R line wasn’t active when I took this pic lol):

16059956162_0e7216b661_z.jpg

Great quality!!!
It is a Sony KV something? I think I recognize the grid...

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
Picked up this awesome CRT monitor on the weekend mainly for Dreamcast, but am going to try my Gamecube over component to a HD box pro which is cheap but fairly good component to VGA upscaler. It's an IBM P260 which is a rebadged Sony G520. Thinking of picking up one of those Hanzo VGA boxes with the built in scanline generator for stuff like 3rd Strike etc.

2z8xkaq.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
G520s are the bees knees!

Love the two inputs; DC and 360, all the way. XRGB works rock solid w/this monitor too.

The OSD and ease of adjustments is something I wish my BVM had.

Last edited:

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm looking into the opportunity of picking up at least one of the following PVMs:

PVM-1442 QM @ 50 EURO (60 USD)
PVM-1454 QM @ 100 EURO (120 USD)
PVM-9220 ME @ 50 EURO (60 USD)

Which one of these would you recommend?
Do you think this is a good deal if those monitors are in good working order?
Any special things I should look out for while testing these monitors?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm looking into the opportunity of picking up at least one of the following PVMs:

I would not even think about the PVM-9220 ME. I would consider paying maybe 30-45 euro each for the other two depending how nice the picture looks. They are only 14" monitors but those are fine for single player games.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

To my knowledge the 1442's RGB Connections are RGB only. The 1454 will also do both RGB and Component. Personally I would go with the 1454 however 100 Euro is kinda high. Try to talk them down a bit (preferably the price of the 1442).

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Apparently Santa thought there was a big difference between a BT-H1390Y and a BT-H1390YN. The CRT army grows one stronger. Much clearer non-thread blowing up action pics will soon follow.

IMG_20141226_090711.jpg

IMG_20141226_090758.jpg

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Here are some very quick initial shots. I have some tweaking to do, but I'm very happy with the quick out of the box testing results. Thank you again FedEx for shipping it the RIGHT way :)

Spoiler:
IMG_20141226_095433_zpse96a437d.jpg

IMG_20141226_101257_zps3b433ed5.jpg

IMG_20141226_101600_zps531fcbf5.jpg

mr.2jz

n00b
Hi and Happy Holidays everyone!

Been following and reading this thread for awhile, and there are some beautiful setups in here. Nice to see a CRT thread of this caliber. It looks to be the consensus that the PVM from Sony gets a lot of attention, and is truly a workhorse of the industry/marketplace.

I'm a fan of the CRT stuff as well, and where I work I'm lucky enough to run across many different models. In my stable I have several PVM's, but I recently found this gem, a NEC Multisync XM29, and don't know much about it. I've done some googling, but found varying results. I saved it from getting junked. It powers on, and gets audio and video.

Does anyone on here know much about that one? Are they on par with the PVM's I read that there is a XM29+ that can do a higher res, but the one I have is the XM2950.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. I'll post pics very soon.

Thanks.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hi and Happy Holidays everyone!

Been following and reading this thread for awhile, and there are some beautiful setups in here. Nice to see a CRT thread of this caliber. It looks to be the consensus that the PVM from Sony gets a lot of attention, and is truly a workhorse of the industry/marketplace.
I'm a fan of the CRT stuff as well, and where I work I'm lucky enough to run across many different models. In my stable I have several PVM's, but I recently found this gem, a NEC Multisync XM29, and don't know much about it. I've done some googling, but found varying results. I saved it from getting junked. It powers on, and gets audio and video.
Does anyone on here know much about that one? Are they on par with the PVM's I read that there is a XM29+ that can do a higher res, but the one I have is the XM2950.
Any help or insight would be appreciated. I'll post pics very soon.
Thanks.

NEC XM29 ? Absolute piece of shit .. it is so bad that I will come and do you the favor of getting it of your hands... for FREE !

Now stop trolling us .

mr.2jz

n00b
NEC XM29 ? Absolute piece of shit .. it is so bad that I will come and do you the favor of getting it of your hands... for FREE !

Now stop trolling us .

Sorry you feel I was trolling Skullz, but I wasn't. It was an honest question to anyone who's actually had the benefit of trying both, and getting their thoughts/concerns on it.

I did some more digging on here, and found some older vintage posts about it though. I guess it's fairly rare, but holds it's own against the PVM's.

I've been saving some of these monitors from the junkyard (at least the ones that don't have burn-in, or just don't work at all).

Nothing wrong in asking for opinions is there?

Thanks.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
So I finally found a cheap pvm, a Sony 1351q. Bought it as a Christmas present to myself. The previous owner did a lot of professional video editing. he was the only owner and he bought it new in 94. Had that perplexed look when I told him I was using it for an arcade project lol. So far only thing I've tried it on was the ps3. Only console I had svideo cables for. Not looking forward to spend time and money on making cables. But so far I'm impressed.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Sorry you feel I was trolling Skullz, but I wasn't. It was an honest question to anyone who's actually had the benefit of trying both, and getting their thoughts/concerns on it.

I did some more digging on here, and found some older vintage posts about it though. I guess it's fairly rare, but holds it's own against the PVM's.

I've been saving some of these monitors from the junkyard (at least the ones that don't have burn-in, or just don't work at all).

Nothing wrong in asking for opinions is there?

Thanks.

Well I still think you are trolling us ... as the nec xm29 is simply one of the best crt monitor ever made (if not the best). It is the wet dream for most us here ( I have personally been trying to find one for 2 years now) .. and you saying that you got one and don't know anything about it and asking if it is any good ...
Anyway I had no ill intentions... and my offer is still active. The moment you want to get rid of it I will be more than happy to dispose it for you ;)

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So I finally found a cheap pvm, a Sony 1351q. Bought it as a Christmas present to myself. The previous owner did a lot of professional video editing. he was the only owner and he bought it new in 94. Had that perplexed look when I told him I was using it for an arcade project lol. So far only thing I've tried it on was the ps3. Only console I had svideo cables for. Not looking forward to spend time and money on making cables. But so far I'm impressed.

My first PVM was a 1354q, still have it, very sharp monitor and also accepts component via BNC adapters. You should look into hooking up some consoles to it that way, cheap and easy.

Nyd