Page 295 of 296 FirstFirst ... 195245285291292293294295296 LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,375 of 7391

Thread: CRT Fetish Thread

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I'm just curious if I can get it better than it is. To be honest I like adjusting and trying to make the picture better, it's kind of addicting. I was just wondering if there's an obvious adjust I'm missing. Too bad there's no adjustment for vertical bowing.
    When you can't adjust it any more via the service menu, or even the pots inside, and it's still off – there's a couple things you can look into: recapping it, messing with the convergence strips, the magnets some have glued to the tube, and even the yoke itself.

Galford's Armourer

One thing I've found odd is that I'll get the 240p suite grid looking good, but when I try a game like Link to the Past the menus all look wonky and distorted. I'll fix it so the menus look good but then the grid looks off. I'm more inclined to trust how an actual game looks over that grid, but it's kind of odd.

Morden's Lackey

If I wanted small monitor or tv for a msx setup what would be a good size for sitting a desk and playing close up like a pc. I dont wanna go to big to small. I just cant figure out if something like a 9" is way to small of it a 13" is way to big. Also is there any rgb scart to vga adaptors out there that dont cost a moronic price?

Quote Originally Posted by ysselcneogeo View Post
    If I wanted small monitor or tv for a msx setup what would be a good size for sitting a desk and playing close up like a pc. I dont wanna go to big to small. I just cant figure out if something like a 9" is way to small of it a 13" is way to big. Also is there any rgb scart to vga adaptors out there that dont cost a moronic price?
    I would think the 13 would be the sweet spot. Is there an 11 inch monitor?
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    Not that I can tell. I think the biggest issue is everything crt related has become insanely expensive also.

Quote Originally Posted by ysselcneogeo View Post
    Not that I can tell. I think the biggest issue is everything crt related has become insanely expensive also.
    On PCs back in the 90s, I was on 17-19 inch monitors and I thought that was insane. The Commodore 1084 springs to mind of a nice monitor, but I'm no too keen on what the MSX outputs on video. The 1084 does have a sort s-vid input that you could use instead of composite. Plus the monitor takes audio as well, being mono of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

They call him "Mr. Windy". wataru330's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    GXTV for lyfe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    Innocence gave me confidence, to go up against reality...

Analog_Delivery_System=*when you absolutely, positively,
    must rock every person in the room*

"I don't think your kids should see us playing Joust in this parking lot..."
    -300wins

IMO anything smaller than a 13 is a compromise for space reasons. I've gamed a lot on the 13" Commodore monitor and it's a pretty good size if it's right in front of you but I wouldn't want to do anything smaller unless I was doing some portable rig that I could take to shows or something.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Galford's Armourer

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    IMO anything smaller than a 13 is a compromise for space reasons. I've gamed a lot on the 13" Commodore monitor and it's a pretty good size if it's right in front of you but I wouldn't want to do anything smaller unless I was doing some portable rig that I could take to shows or something.
    I used 13" monitors for all my classic computer systems since they have keyboards so you're sitting close to the monitor anyway. Gaming on these is just fine, but as GohanX said, you really don't want to go any smaller.

Crazed MVS Addict

Same as GohanX and Tempest - I've used 9" PVM units for shows or get-togethers swapping out rare boards on a supergun. I also used to use them in the shop for testing. It's sharp and useable, but I wouldn't want to use it for regular gameplay. I've also used 13" Commodore monitors for years, as long as you're relatively close (which you should be when using a C-64 or MSX), they're perfectly fine, nice even. The Commodore 1701/1702 will take s-video if you make a luma/croma Y adapter.

Svideo looks SO GOOD on that monitor too.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Galford's Armourer

One thing I was thinking about trying is the factory reset option in the service menu because I don't know who did what to this TV before I got it. Does anyone know if this would just reset the deflection menu's values or ALL the values for the entire TV? I really don't want to break this thing by resetting all the values to an unusable state.

Galford's Armourer

I'm slowly realizing that this TV is just crap and there's no reason to keep trying to fix it. However there's a Sony Trinitron KV-27FS13 available locally. Is this a good model?

Dogg-Father

I'm slowly realizing that this TV is just crap and there's no reason to keep trying to fix it. However there's a Sony Trinitron KV-27FS13 available locally. Is this a good model?
    Yes, I think I have one and component looks fine...but I don't chase those dragons any more...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...=1#post4358872

I think it's the tate'd one...
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

Galford's Armourer

Quote Originally Posted by Neodogg View Post
    Yes, I think I have one and component looks fine...but I don't chase those dragons any more...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...=1#post4358872

I think it's the tate'd one...

They want $65, but people have told me that's a bit high. I'm going to see if they'll come down to $40 or so. If not, I may go for it anyway.

Any known issues with this model? Anything that can't be corrected easily with the service menu?

Dogg-Father

does seem a little high, I think I paid $30 but that was like a year ago. I really haven't had to get into the service menu to adjust things. I did verify that I could and as with Todd's thread there are a plethora of options.
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

Galford's Armourer

One nice thing is that it does come with the remote which I've noticed a lot of them do not. Still, I haven't been looking for long and I'm sure more will pop up if they won't budge on the price.

They want $65, but people have told me that's a bit high. I'm going to see if they'll come down to $40 or so. If not, I may go for it anyway.

Any known issues with this model? Anything that can't be corrected easily with the service menu?
    There's a good chance it needs caps that will cause geometry problems that can't be corrected in the service menu. Lolifox and I both have this issue with ours, but I just deal with it since I'm not recapping it and nobody local does CRT repair.
    Whatcha gonna do?

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

I wouldn't be paying that much or at all for those tvs. You can find them for free 99% of the time.

Think of it this way it cost money to recycle these things, usually $25-$35. Additionally you don't really know the condition of the tv.

I wouldn't pay more than $10-$20 unless it is a specific rare model or you live in a crt apocalypse.
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 05-17-2019 at 06:53 PM.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.
    Nintendo 64 Pikachu Edition Serial #NS294668665 Nintendo 64 "Funtastic Series" Jungle Green Serial #NS28721865

Galford's Armourer

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    There's a good chance it needs caps that will cause geometry problems that can't be corrected in the service menu. Lolifox and I both have this issue with ours, but I just deal with it since I'm not recapping it and nobody local does CRT repair.
    Is that common with Sony Trinitrons or just this model?

It's pretty common on the later ones that were mostly silver. Twenty years in a hot plastic box isn't great on caps.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Galford's Armourer

So are the earlier black ones less likely to have cap issues? Any particular model I should look for?

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

So are the earlier black ones less likely to have cap issues? Any particular model I should look for?
    The argument about the older black Trinitrons, and the newer silver ones, pretty much comes down to how the old ones have a curved screen (which many people prefer, and I don't know why - I highly prefer flat) and only composite and/or S-Video inputs; the silver ones can have flat screens and composite/S-Video AND Component (which is pretty much equal to RGB, and you can pickup a Shinybow SB-2840 RGB to Component converter and play all your RGB systems with great clarity).

For caps, all of this stuff is old and could very well need a recapping - even sets from 2005ish can still be a little bit off. Oh, people say the older curved ones also have better geometry...which is kinda a moot point to me because of the curved screen messes with the image whenever I see it (probably just because I'm used to flat screens).

Galford's Armourer

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    The argument about the older black Trinitrons, and the newer silver ones, pretty much comes down to how the old ones have a curved screen (which many people prefer, and I don't know why - I highly prefer flat) and only composite and/or S-Video inputs; the silver ones can have flat screens and composite/S-Video AND Component (which is pretty much equal to RGB, and you can pickup a Shinybow SB-2840 RGB to Component converter and play all your RGB systems with great clarity).
    I use a Shinybow so I need component. I guess I need to stick to the newer silver ones then.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

I recently bought a Sony BVM-20F1E/U 20" Broadcast Video Monitor (PAL & NTSC), which has been recapped and recalibrated. So happy with this, as it's supposed to be the Rolls-Royce of CRT monitors :-) But.. I have to say an OSSC produces a stunning result on new TVs and 4K video projectors.

Thread Information