CRT Fetish Thread

Dragon89o

New Challenger
If anyone in the NC/SC/GA region wants to give a guy in Augusta, GA a call, let me know. He worked on my PVM-20L2MD and it's perfect now. I paid $150 for his time to take it down, diagnose it, parts, repair time.

I hope my stuff lasts a long time so I don't have to go flat panel for my retro gaming.

Sony PVM-20L2MD
Utrak KM1900CN (brand new in box, factor sealed)
Sony KV-27FV310 (brand new in box, factor sealed)

Those are what I have right now.

Ugh that is probably at least 6 hours away for me.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Screenshot_20180119-232939.jpg
Found an old CRT new in box at a thrift store for 5 bucks. Yodd pointed me in the direction of a decent HDMI to VGA adapter to hook it up to the OSSC. I'm interested to see how it looks. I'm busting it open next weekend when one of my retro gaming buddies swings by. I will put up some pics once we have it set up.

Dvdx2

n00b
View attachment 48457
Found an old CRT new in box at a thrift store for 5 bucks. Yodd pointed me in the direction of a decent HDMI to VGA adapter to hook it up to the OSSC. I'm interested to see how it looks. I'm busting it open next weekend when one of my retro gaming buddies swings by. I will put up some pics once we have it set up.

Excellent! Anything new in box nowadays is a great find!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
View attachment 48457

When you get a chance, let's see it in action.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
View attachment 48457

Nice find. They also spelt colour correctly on the box ;)

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
When you get a chance, let's see it in action.

Will do! My stuff to hook it up to the OSSC should be here on Monday. I might hold off till the weekend to do the unboxing though. I will post some pics up right away once I get everything hooked up.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

Max. resolution 1024 x 768, goddamn I miss those days.

What HDMI to VGA adapter did Yodd recommend?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Really missing my tv and monitor. They took up a lot of room, but the rca mm32110 and the Mitsubishi megaview wall were such good additions to old school and arcade gaming :(

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Really missing my tv and monitor. They took up a lot of room, but the rca mm32110 and the Mitsubishi megaview wall were such good additions to old school and arcade gaming :(

Don't worry you're only living in the future. Eventually we will all miss our CRT monitors... or maybe we wont? who knows what 10 years, reducing numbers of crt's and a retro craze will bring.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Sucks it needs an active one.

I don't have an OSSC yet but for PS4 I use an extron DVI RGB 200. It has really nice features like EDID spoofing and sync peak adjustment.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Does anyone in the U.S. still service PVMs, or are we in "hoard everything & hope nothing dies" territory now? My 23 inch medical monitor looks like it's on it's last legs. I'm tempted to have someone mod one of my consumer sets for RGB at this point.

You can email Patrick (his email is at the bottom of this article):

http://retrorgb.com/bvmtechinterview.html

Not a cheap option unless you're within driving distance and can avoid the 2-way shipping. Also depends on him having the right parts handy. Super nice guy though.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I've seen the Tendak recommended a lot, and have even done so myself, but I have heard a few people have a bit of issue in getting it to work properly in a few situations (specifically, PS3 stuff in 720p and 1080p modes). I don't know if it's just bad luck on their part or what have you, but something to keep in mind.

Another adapter worth looking at is the Portta. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O55U8K/

Seems as those it's quite back ordered at the moment, however.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I've seen the Tendak recommended a lot, and have even done so myself, but I have heard a few people have a bit of issue in getting it to work properly in a few situations (specifically, PS3 stuff in 720p and 1080p modes). I don't know if it's just bad luck on their part or what have you, but something to keep in mind.

Another adapter worth looking at is the Portta. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O55U8K/

Seems as those it's quite back ordered at the moment, however.
Thanks for the heads up. If I get a chance I will mess around with some PS3 stuff in HD through the OSSC to see if I run into the same issues. I'm mainly just going to be using it to be able to use the OSSC with that NOS VGA monitor. Still good to know. Mine should be here today, but I'm probably going to still wait for the weekend to unbox it and hook it up.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
The situation where the issue came up was directly from the PS3 to the adapter, rather than through an OSSC or what have you.

I haven't had the best of luck with the PS3 with the Portta either, but it would at least properly display at all resolutions. I feel the issue may be HDCP related, but have no real evidence to confirm it. Has worked a treat for Wii U and Switch though.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
The situation where the issue came up was directly from the PS3 to the adapter, rather than through an OSSC or what have you.

I haven't had the best of luck with the PS3 with the Portta either, but it would at least properly display at all resolutions. I feel the issue may be HDCP related, but have no real evidence to confirm it. Has worked a treat for Wii U and Switch though.

Now that you mention it I remember having issues that were HDCP related when using an adapter years ago with my PS3. I'm pretty sure it was an adapter that was DVI to HDMI. My Sony Wega CRT had DVI instead of HDMI. If I remember correctly that was a huge pain in the ass and I tried a bunch of solutions to no avail. After remembering this I bet you are on the right track about it being the PS3.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
PS stuff can be picky with adapters for sure. I don't have a ps3 but ps4 for sure has an option to shut off hdcp in the menus.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
It's really strange that it'd have an issue with your Sony set, given that the DVI in that case was DVI with support for HDCP.

In my case, it works fine with the caveat that you'd get an occasional split second drop out every some-odd number of minutes.

I believe I've tried in both 480p and 1080p modes, but I can't remember absolutely. Tend to just stick with 720p and below for it now so I can use my Component transcoder instead.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Boycott Adidas! :keke: First 7 seconds . . . Kudos to you if you can watch more than that without going insane.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
You can email Patrick (his email is at the bottom of this article):

http://retrorgb.com/bvmtechinterview.html

Not a cheap option unless you're within driving distance and can avoid the 2-way shipping. Also depends on him having the right parts handy. Super nice guy though.

I've talked with patrick over the phone twice actually. He's who I got my BVM-D24E1WU from. If he still services CRTs, I wonder if a road trip is in order.

edit: So it looks like pat actually sells self repair kits for 20M2Us. This might be my first crt repair project if all goes well. has anyone here used one of pat's kits?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192426156297/

Last edited:

haightc

n00b
I've stop hording monitors, I have bought two broken monitors that I was able repair with relative ease. I am now is the mode of trying thin the heard a little. I tried doing a trade option on crt enthusiast group on facebook, I was able to trade a PVM 14M4U for a Jaguar. I might try doing Craigslist, but I would rather trade than sell. My day job keeps me to busy to be doing CRT and console work, I have a huge backlog of my own personal projects already.