CRT Fetish Thread

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yeah I've had a toshiba, sony, and some off brand CRTs even with component in. I think the only one I have left is my 27 inch toshiba but man it looks nice.

I've started moving my love of CRTs toward projectors. I made a post in the projector thread about the one I picked up recently. It has composite, S-video, component, 2xVGA, and DVI inputs, including audio in/out. It takes 240p/480i on the component, and even has built in optional de-interlacing (!) which makes 480i component look MUCH better. Some projectors will even let you slide with 240P RGB on the VGA inputs, but mine won't (that said, transcoding RGB to component first works just fine).

If you have the room for a projector, I can't recommend it enough. 4 player split screen mario cart leaves each player with a 45 inch screen lol

20170222_213743_HDR-1.jpg

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ive always been really interested in projectors but isnt there a latency issue?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
ive always been really interested in projectors but isnt there a latency issue?

I'm pretty picky about lag, and I haven't noticed anything. Like, I can notice if a controller adapter introduces lag, and I haven't had any issues with this particular projector. Perhaps something newer that is HDMI native might have an issue, but this one was like 6000 to 9000 dollars in its day. I know cheaper ones can suffer bad lag (worse than a framemeister, sadly). Perhaps I got lucky, but I've played master mode on monkey ball 2, and plenty of NHL 15, and have had no problems.

I might try the test outlined here though, I would be curious to see. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...srp/1068844-input-lag-various-projectors.html

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I'm looking to do a comparison between the different SNES console versions soon. I know it's been done a million times, but I'd love to see the results on a few different monitors. I took some quick and dirty pics with my PVM-14M4U that I posted in the recent purchases thread. When I do a better in depth comparison I'll use my XP29 and a few other PVM/BVMs and be sure to post on here :)

SNES Comparison

Last edited:

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Mentioned this before but on some colors I'm getting a image trail or color bleed effect. Happens both from my SNES and GameCube in RGB on my Sony PVM. Very noticeable on text and always goes to the right.

Take a look at the screenshots of my menu and you can see what I mean.

Its not that noticeable while playing games as picture apart from this looks great.

I would however like to find a local tv repair place and get the monitor serviced to eliminate this issue.

Any ideas what causes this and how to fix it? Thinking a new cap kit?

20170318_113828_resized.jpg20170318_113833_resized.jpg

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i owned a sony trinitron 27inch around idk 2006-7 that had a flat screen and component great tv. Paid 400 USD at the time my next tv was my first LCD a 32inch sony (low end sadly) not bravia. I have not personally owned a sony since though now have samsung and vizo lcd but looking to get a trinitron or pvm and nicer screens down the road when money alows

X68

n00b
>Mentioned this before but on some colors I'm getting a image trail or color bleed effect. Happens both from my SNES and GameCube in RGB on my Sony PVM. Very noticeable on text and always goes to the right.

I've had dozens of pvms/bvms, this issue is usually on the battered units, think it might be physical damaging from dropping it etc :/

I had a 2chip PAL SNES, recently got a SFC Jr and the image is noticeably better, PAL SNES got sold

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Yeah its a odd issue. This picture smearing that I'm having can apparently be solved with re capping the monitor. I'm just in the process of trying to find someone in the UK that can service it.

The issue however is worse when turning the set on from cold and then once it warms up after a few minutes its much better.

Take a look at the following pics:

Cold on start up

Cold 1.jpg

Cold 2.jpg

Warm after a few mins

Warm 1.jpg

Warm 2.jpg

As you can see after a few mins once the monitor has warmed up the picture is much better and the streaking has reduced.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
The streaking I've been told can also just be a high hour tube. Not to say recapping it wouldn't be awesome, but just something to keep in mind.

BTW anyone in the midwest want a 20M4U for parts? It was working fine but then acted like it lost sync or almost vertical collapse type issue. It's still intact/unmolested... it's yours for free if you come get it. I have too many other projects at the moment. Greater Lansing, MI area.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
The streaking I've been told can also just be a high hour tube. Not to say recapping it wouldn't be awesome, but just something to keep in mind.

That sort of streaking, especially since warming up lessens the issue, is most certainly related to caps needing replaced. That's not to say the same monitor might also being getting up there, and also have that issues, but it's certainly not apparent in those photos, and wouldn't be that visible nor that color.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
That sort of streaking, especially since warming up lessens the issue, is most certainly related to caps needing replaced. That's not to say the same monitor might also being getting up there, and also have that issues, but it's certainly not apparent in those photos, and wouldn't be that visible nor that color.

Thanks apart from taking a few mins to warm up to a point where the streaking is not too bad I'm very happy with the monitor. To be honest with all monitors this age I was not expecting it to be perfect as even after its warm there is still some streaking but its not that noticeable while playing a game. I will try and get it re capped at some stage if I cab find anyone to service it. Image really does look great overall being a 600 line unit and its so nice not having any lag which I really do notice on my HDTV.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I believe it was in this thread a few weeks where i was asking about RGB on the Wii.

So the last thing i was doing was trying to get Wiiware games in RGB and i figured it out. Apparently my Wiiware games were'nt showing up in USBLOADER GX because they were stored on the SD Card (stupid system memory limits)

So i just moved the main games i wanted to play over to the system menu (GRADIUS CONTRA and CASTLEVANIA REBIRTH, MM9, MM10, ADVENTURE ISLAND, RONDO, AIRZONK and SUPER AIRZONK) from there all i did is force pal60 on them like i did with GCN and WII games it worked like a charm.

Now what im wondering is has anyone found a way to get USBLOADER to read everything off the SD card so i dont have to move games individually and delete them when im done? Seems way too tedious to have to do that every time. I've heard something about using Emunand allowing you to pull all the games from that, bypassing the wii default system memory but im not sure how it works.

Also has anybody here ever found a game that just plain not work in PAL60? Every game i tried so far works for PAL60 but im playing DKCR and for some reason that game refuses to run in PAL60 at all. it always defaults to PAL50.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I believe it was in this thread a few weeks where i was asking about RGB on the Wii.

So the last thing i was doing was trying to get Wiiware games in RGB and i figured it out. Apparently my Wiiware games were'nt showing up in USBLOADER GX because they were stored on the SD Card (stupid system memory limits)

So i just moved the main games i wanted to play over to the system menu (GRADIUS CONTRA and CASTLEVANIA REBIRTH, MM9, MM10, ADVENTURE ISLAND, RONDO, AIRZONK and SUPER AIRZONK) from there all i did is force pal60 on them like i did with GCN and WII games it worked like a charm.

Now what im wondering is has anyone found a way to get USBLOADER to read everything off the SD card so i dont have to move games individually and delete them when im done? Seems way too tedious to have to do that every time. I've heard something about using Emunand allowing you to pull all the games from that, bypassing the wii default system memory but im not sure how it works.

Also has anybody here ever found a game that just plain not work in PAL60? Every game i tried so far works for PAL60 but im playing DKCR and for some reason that game refuses to run in PAL60 at all. it always defaults to PAL50.
Yes, Let's Tap was 50hz even though I selected PAL60.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary

While I don't use Wiiware, I keep my SNES, NES, etc games on a flash drive along with the GCN games.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
EmuNAND is the way to go about doing it. VC/WiiWare stuff moved to the SD card is just there for storage, not actual use.

I've been meaning to set one up for years now, but haven't gotten around to doing it, so I really can't give any tips or suggests on how to actually do so.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
oh yeah i remember telling me you had problems but i thought you had problems with everything?
I believe Let's Tap is all I tried, didn't bother with checking more once I saw this wouldn't do 60hz even when I told it to. NTSC version of the game if it matters.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
EmuNAND is the way to go about doing it. VC/WiiWare stuff moved to the SD card is just there for storage, not actual use.

I've been meaning to set one up for years now, but haven't gotten around to doing it, so I really can't give any tips or suggests on how to actually do so.

you can run games from the sd card. i'm guessing it still has to be loaded into the system memory since it does take a few seconds to load up before it actually boots but it does work.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
At least on OFW, I'm pretty sure you can only run VC stuff from NAND, not SD; There may be a way around it with CFW (ignoring EmuNAND), but not that I'm explicitly aware of.