Page 280 of 282 FirstFirst ... 180230270276277278279280281282 LastLast
Results 6,976 to 7,000 of 7031

Thread: CRT Fetish Thread

Belnar Institute Student

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Does anyone in the U.S. still service PVMs, or are we in "hoard everything & hope nothing dies" territory now? My 23 inch medical monitor looks like it's on it's last legs. I'm tempted to have someone mod one of my consumer sets for RGB at this point.
    You can email Patrick (his email is at the bottom of this article):

http://retrorgb.com/bvmtechinterview.html

Not a cheap option unless you're within driving distance and can avoid the 2-way shipping. Also depends on him having the right parts handy. Super nice guy though.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by opt2not View Post
    Awesome, this is the one I was eying. Thanks!
    No problem. Happy to pass along the info. Anything to avoid having to buying a bunch of shitty ones looking for a good one

Crazed MVS Addict

I've seen the Tendak recommended a lot, and have even done so myself, but I have heard a few people have a bit of issue in getting it to work properly in a few situations (specifically, PS3 stuff in 720p and 1080p modes). I don't know if it's just bad luck on their part or what have you, but something to keep in mind.

Another adapter worth looking at is the Portta. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O55U8K/

Seems as those it's quite back ordered at the moment, however.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by KyaDash View Post
    I've seen the Tendak recommended a lot, and have even done so myself, but I have heard a few people have a bit of issue in getting it to work properly in a few situations (specifically, PS3 stuff in 720p and 1080p modes). I don't know if it's just bad luck on their part or what have you, but something to keep in mind.

Another adapter worth looking at is the Portta. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O55U8K/

Seems as those it's quite back ordered at the moment, however.
    Thanks for the heads up. If I get a chance I will mess around with some PS3 stuff in HD through the OSSC to see if I run into the same issues. I'm mainly just going to be using it to be able to use the OSSC with that NOS VGA monitor. Still good to know. Mine should be here today, but I'm probably going to still wait for the weekend to unbox it and hook it up.

Crazed MVS Addict

The situation where the issue came up was directly from the PS3 to the adapter, rather than through an OSSC or what have you.

I haven't had the best of luck with the PS3 with the Portta either, but it would at least properly display at all resolutions. I feel the issue may be HDCP related, but have no real evidence to confirm it. Has worked a treat for Wii U and Switch though.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by KyaDash View Post
    The situation where the issue came up was directly from the PS3 to the adapter, rather than through an OSSC or what have you.

I haven't had the best of luck with the PS3 with the Portta either, but it would at least properly display at all resolutions. I feel the issue may be HDCP related, but have no real evidence to confirm it. Has worked a treat for Wii U and Switch though.
    Now that you mention it I remember having issues that were HDCP related when using an adapter years ago with my PS3. I'm pretty sure it was an adapter that was DVI to HDMI. My Sony Wega CRT had DVI instead of HDMI. If I remember correctly that was a huge pain in the ass and I tried a bunch of solutions to no avail. After remembering this I bet you are on the right track about it being the PS3.
    Last edited by 3rdStrikeMike; 01-23-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors

Rugal's Secretary

PS stuff can be picky with adapters for sure. I don't have a ps3 but ps4 for sure has an option to shut off hdcp in the menus.

Crazed MVS Addict

It's really strange that it'd have an issue with your Sony set, given that the DVI in that case was DVI with support for HDCP.

In my case, it works fine with the caveat that you'd get an occasional split second drop out every some-odd number of minutes.

I believe I've tried in both 480p and 1080p modes, but I can't remember absolutely. Tend to just stick with 720p and below for it now so I can use my Component transcoder instead.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Boycott Adidas! First 7 seconds . . . Kudos to you if you can watch more than that without going insane.

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

That's just fucking wrong.

Hardened Shock Trooper

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Amy View Post
    You can email Patrick (his email is at the bottom of this article):

http://retrorgb.com/bvmtechinterview.html

Not a cheap option unless you're within driving distance and can avoid the 2-way shipping. Also depends on him having the right parts handy. Super nice guy though.
    I've talked with patrick over the phone twice actually. He's who I got my BVM-D24E1WU from. If he still services CRTs, I wonder if a road trip is in order.

edit: So it looks like pat actually sells self repair kits for 20M2Us. This might be my first crt repair project if all goes well. has anyone here used one of pat's kits?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192426156297/
    Last edited by wingzrow; 01-25-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo

I've stop hording monitors, I have bought two broken monitors that I was able repair with relative ease. I am now is the mode of trying thin the heard a little. I tried doing a trade option on crt enthusiast group on facebook, I was able to trade a PVM 14M4U for a Jaguar. I might try doing Craigslist, but I would rather trade than sell. My day job keeps me to busy to be doing CRT and console work, I have a huge backlog of my own personal projects already.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

I've talked with patrick over the phone twice actually. He's who I got my BVM-D24E1WU from. If he still services CRTs, I wonder if a road trip is in order.

edit: So it looks like pat actually sells self repair kits for 20M2Us. This might be my first crt repair project if all goes well. has anyone here used one of pat's kits?

I saw those kits and was really tempted to get one for my 20M2U but since it's currently working just fine I didn't bite.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Here are some pics from my $5 thrift store CRT that was still new in the box. I had it hooked up to the OSSC 1.6 with an HDMI to VGA converter. It looked fantastic and the colors were great. Unfortunately it is really hard to capture with a camera. I know it is normally that way with all CRT pics, but this monitor especially tends to look dark and much softer image-wise in photos. These were the only once that really turned out well. Anyways, here are the pics!

7841160131705548187.jpg
    5432981200295695368.jpg
    4420106908923126933.jpg
    5432456719326888800.jpg
    4679248686839800296.jpg
    1013539945783852828.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mr.2jz View Post
    2. back:
    Where did you get this VGA cable?

George Spiner's Caddy

17 caps for $40? That's a hell of a markup.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by neomeo View Post
    I am actually sad that nothing lasts in this world. I got a pvm but it has tube errors now. The technician told me it’s the end of the tv. I went out and hunted for this tv for a long time and after 1 month of use to find out that the tube is giving in. I am gonna go the framemeister and ossc route connected to pro gaming lcd or oled.
    There are CRTs out there from the early to late 2000s that are either practically new, if not in fact completely unused. They're not necessarily PVMs, usually JVCs, but they're just as good. They're a much better option than a Sony at the end of its life, the way to go if you want monitors that will last years and not suddenly crap out on you within months. I have 5 monitors, none from before 2002... all new/like new, low hours on the ones with usage counters, or at minimum still in prime condition.

The end game for me is not to hoard old CRTs for life. It's to have CRTs until modern TV picture quality, scalers and CRT/scanline filters improve to the point where they can emulate CRTs perfectly. I think OLED has gotten there with contrast and colors but I'm waiting until reponse time comes down to under 20ms, maybe under 15ms.
    Last edited by Mega; 01-28-2018 at 11:10 AM.

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

Good points, but I think some of these crts that were used extensively probably just need a monitor recap. With this in mind it does depend if they were used at max contrast etc.

Some monitors already have sub 1 frame lag, but good luck trying to make 480i look good and have that lag.

Motion blur is another problem of modern tech for our retro games as well.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61733
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 01-28-2018 at 12:55 PM.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.
    Nintendo 64 Pikachu Edition Serial #NS294668665 Nintendo 64 "Funtastic Series" Jungle Green Serial #NS28721865

icon15.gif

Recently i made a full recap to my Sony Profell KX-21hv1s also knowing as sony Pvm2130qm (Pag277)

Last weekend i made the final adjustment to it

First issue was with the Red color. I'd changed just one transistor before but this time i change the all 3 and finally the color is perfect showing

As I don't have a color meter i used the THX blue filter to check color bleeding

Second problem was the Horizontal Frequence that was a little low causing sync issues to my Raspberry pi

Last but not least was the Geometry and convergence. I bought some fridge magnets for the geometry and a use one hand saw razor blade for the convergence as i don't had any professional permolloy. It did the job so I'm ok with it

I hope that I don't need to mess with it again any time soon

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Incredible job you have done there silverrock! Monitor looks very nice.

!!

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Incredible job you have done there silverrock! Monitor looks very nice.
    Seconded, the photo guide with all these Japanese products & tools used in the process is very cool, too!

New Challenger

Fantastic job! May it last you for many more years.

Last edited by Dhampird; 02-16-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Krauser's Henchman

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrikeMike View Post
    Here are some pics from my $5 thrift store CRT that was still new in the box. I had it hooked up to the OSSC 1.6 with an HDMI to VGA converter. It looked fantastic and the colors were great. Unfortunately it is really hard to capture with a camera. I know it is normally that way with all CRT pics, but this monitor especially tends to look dark and much softer image-wise in photos. These were the only once that really turned out well. Anyways, here are the pics!

7841160131705548187.jpg
    5432981200295695368.jpg
    4420106908923126933.jpg
    5432456719326888800.jpg
    4679248686839800296.jpg
    1013539945783852828.jpg

Real nice monitor. I see you rocking that Dragonballfighterz back there. Cell is too good
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzm...SHN-k1d8rj6Q_A

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by munchiaz View Post
    Real nice monitor. I see you rocking that Dragonballfighterz back there. Cell is too good
    Good eye That's one of my friends that comes each weekend for my fighting game night we do every Saturday. We also do retro games that night as well. I haven't done much with the monitor since I have been on a month long work trip. I can't wait to get home and mess with it some more. I also need to practice some DBZ. They've all been leveling up hard while I have no access to it here in SLC.

Thread Information