AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

ELebron77

n00b
I'm pretty sure that the Greeks laid claim to the whole Omega thing before luxury wristwatches. I can't tell if you are joking with that one.

"Product (quality) always comes before Branding if you are a worthwhile company."

I'm going to assume that you you loaded that statement intentionally. A brand can be a sign of quality and pride, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving people a calling card. Implying that the Omega MVS isn't a quality product? I'm pretty sure that most people that own one (myself included) would disagree.

I gotta agree...I own the Omega and its a solid build. Once you hold one in your hands you reslize how solid it is. I also own an AES and in my opinion the Omega feels much more solid than the casing of the original AES. I've been playing game after game almost every day since I got it with no issues. It is one of the best gaming investments I've made. I am totally happy with it, such so that I am now thinking about selling my original AES since its now collecting dust.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
What I would suggest is that the Omega symbol be used for Omega CMVS pack-in games kinda like how you'd find with second-gen console revisions having special branded games "not for resale" style.

For traditional cases the lack of Omega is probably overall more preferable, although I do recognize the desire for the creator to want to leave their mark on the cart...

Perhaps though a compromise can be reached and the Omega symbol can be placed on one of the bottom corners on the back or as a special sticker so that the identification remains, but people who don't like it can tape/remove it.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
The mark doesn't bothers me at all; however, many people probably will feel against and would not buy the product just because of that. What about a mark but in a semi-hidden place? eg. inside the cart edge.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
If anything, these could use more logos to help prevent noobs cramming them into unsuspecting AES consoles.
(assuming they aren't distracted by the pretty labels on the front).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Honestly, I think the logo should stay but needs to be more cleaner looking if possible but I like the logo on there. Now they can be known as "omega mvs shells" rather than "those new cases that look like AES ones that shadowkn55 makes". If I made them believe you me it would have a JNX logo on it.

You can always shave off the logo if you don't want it there. It's in the back of the shell, who is gonna see it any way, it's not like it's on the front.

Slugger

Marked Wolf
These look really great as they are now!

Perhaps though a compromise can be reached and the Omega symbol can be placed on one of the bottom corners on the back or as a special sticker so that the identification remains, but people who don't like it can tape/remove it..

Maybe something what the MVS carts have a triangle/ arrow that shows which way to insert the cart into the slot. Inside the triangle could be a small Omega logo. Just a thought.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
These look really great as they are now!

Maybe something what the MVS carts have a triangle/ arrow that shows which way to insert the cart into the slot. Inside the triangle could be a small Omega logo. Just a thought.

That's a good idea!

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Concept art!

concept_zpse06536d9.jpg

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
i still don't want them but you certainly get props for a nice job sir!

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I'm with the camp that feels that trying to make the MVS format like the home cart format is a silly idea

Disagree.

what we have now is this poor mans wannabe home cartridge image that is convoluted & tacky

Disagree.

I was not much a fan of the omega MVS due to it's cheap looking build, un-inspired design...

Disagree.

I will say that the prototype shells that I am seeing here are are step up.

Agree.

Smart? I suppose if you are a corporate acolyte.

Stop it.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Yeesh. I leave for a couple hours to put some systems together and all hell breaks loose. As for the symbol, it stays where it is and as it is. I can see it bothering people if I plastered on the front but it's on the backside of the cartridge. No one is forcing you to stare at it all day long.

The logo itself and the underlying text will be much cleaner. Just another side effect of the RTV tooling used to make this proto. Tiny details like small text will be no problem for the injection mold. Just look at the front of the omega. It has "Controller 1" and "Controller 2" etched into it in very small letters.

I've been floating around something like that for a while. Instead of the arrow, I was thinking of having the yellow caution sticker mocked up in a similar fashion as the original carts. The omega symbol would be inside the triangle instead of the exclamation point and the text would exude 90s cheesiness.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I could go for that. Definitely sounds cool and I cannot wait to see the final edition.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
shadowkn55,
Would the branding limit the appeal to 3rd parties (NGDev, Analogue Interactive, NeoBitz) that have their own brand? If you leave off you can always add a sticker for ArcadeWorks / Omega.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Not really. SNK adorned their AES carts with their logo. It doesn't mean they take ownership of games they didn't make. Just think of it like computer cases. Having an Antec branded case doesn't mean everything inside is Antec. Nobody is chasing them down to remove their logo from the cases.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
As long as you don't think it will limit the appeal to those parties. I would normally think they would be your largest customers.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Not really. SNK adorned their AES carts with their logo. It doesn't mean they take ownership of games they didn't make. Just think of it like computer cases. Having an Antec branded case doesn't mean everything inside is Antec. Nobody is chasing them down to remove their logo from the cases.

This.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If it were to be like the AES shells, I'd prefer there be a "Made by Omega" in the corner on the back, but that's just me.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
We're working on a few different ideas for templates, I can definitely see that being a possiblity especially for those that store their naked carts by genre.