Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    If you want it to have the indented shoulders like the AES, a separate mold would have to be cast. If the current design is acceptable, you can get away with making a different pcb spacer if I shrink down the profile of the shell to be the lowest common denominator between the aes and mvs shells.
    Our plan B snap cases seem to be designed to fit both MVS and AES. I assume we wouldn't need those shoulders then. Only important things are that the PCBs fit and that the shells fit into AES consoles.
    We wouldn't need the back bump either. I assume such a bump only makes more troubles than it's worth anyway...

Btw. do you think you can have the normal MVS shell variant ready in April? We then would switch NEO XYX MVS to those.
    NG: DEV.TEAM - The future is 2D

NG: DEV.TEAM | Facebook | Youtube |Twitter |Shop

Cheng's Errand Boy

It would be cool to have SNES like dust protectors but for MVS and AES carts IMO
    Want List: will delete/add as collection grows

Last Resort
    Metal Slug
    Metal Slug 4
    Metal Slug 5
    Samurai Shodown V Special
    Shock Troopers
    Strikers 1945 Plus
    Pulstar
    Magician Lord
    Neo Mr. Do!
    Twinkle Star Sprites

Choi's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by NG:DEV.TEAM View Post
    Our plan B snap cases seem to be designed to fit both MVS and AES. I assume we wouldn't need those shoulders then. Only important things are that the PCBs fit and that the shells fit into AES consoles.
    We wouldn't need the back bump either. I assume such a bump only makes more troubles than it's worth anyway...

Btw. do you think you can have the normal MVS shell variant ready in April? We then would switch NEO XYX MVS to those.
    I don't have any plans to release standard issue mvs shells at the moment. If you really need them, I could go ahead and replicate it but the same minimums would apply.

Mr. Big's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    I don't have any plans to release standard issue mvs shells at the moment. If you really need them, I could go ahead and replicate it but the same minimums would apply.
    Yes, I know. "Normal" was the wrong word for it.
    I meant those AES style MVS shells.

Any time plan for those?
    NG: DEV.TEAM - The future is 2D

NG: DEV.TEAM | Facebook | Youtube |Twitter |Shop

Lazy SNK Employee

I'm in for a few. I have a couple really nasty looking carts that I'd love to swap out.

Choi's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by NG:DEV.TEAM View Post
    Yes, I know. "Normal" was the wrong word for it.
    I meant those AES style MVS shells.

Any time plan for those?
    As soon as I get the prototype in hand with some paint (prototypes usually come in a beige/opaque color) and a label, I'll open up preorders for them. When the minimums are met, I'll send out payment info and it should be about 2-3 months to cut the mold, texture, and product the first batch.

Choi's Barber

I just picked up the prototype from the shop. This is how all 3d prints look right out of the machine. It's hard to tell some of the feature without some paint and sticker but it should give you an idea of how it's going to look. As you can tell the pcbs fit. All it needs is a couple minor adjustments and it will be ready for production.

Crossed Swords Squire

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Rugal's Thug

Looking good shadowkn55!!! Cant wait till we see it all painted up and with a sticker. I also think that a dust protector would be a nice alternative to say a shock box that takes up alot of space on a shelf.

Krauser's Henchman

Nice job, looks great!

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

The cases are looking nice.

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual
    NeoGeoFreak (not related to the magazine) Co-Scammer
    Those look very nice. I like the design with the space for the cart sticker not needing to go over where the cart comes together. A definite improvement over the original AES design, and should make for some really nice looking MVS carts.

You might consider making a similar spot of the side of the cart for the NGF sticker.
    just kidding!

ChrisR

King's Dry Cleaner

Thing is, you aren't kidding.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Count me in for 10-20 as long as you're able to keep your word on providing stickers for 1st run customers. Nice work on these. Looking forward to seeing what kind of templates the community pumps out for the sticker art.

Well, the transparent ones will allow you to clearly see the boards and tell if they're genuine or fake.

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by SNKorSWM View Post
    Well, the transparent ones will allow you to clearly see the boards and tell if they're genuine or fake.
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind rocking some clear ones like the original MVS clears in this style with label.

Choi's Barber

Transparent ones would be awesome but I'd like to leave that possibility for a batch past the first run. It's a little trickier to work with and make look perfect. The first batch will consist entirely of black shells for simplicity sake.

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches. 90s's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyboy16 View Post
    I'm in too! I don't have many MVS games (only a dozen) right now, but I would replace the shells on all of them. I've always wanted them to look like a retail game. Of course, I would save the original shells for collecting purposes. If the price can be around $12 - $15 per shell, that would be ok.
    Yeah, if the price can stay at $15 at most and you provide labels for the first run, you can count me in for 10. These look great, but $20 for each would be too much for me.

Is anyone in the community working on the label side yet?

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

nice... I'm even more tempted than before!

Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.

Very nice!

Astra Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by barto View Post
    Looking good shadowkn55!!! Cant wait till we see it all painted up and with a sticker. I also think that a dust protector would be a nice alternative to say a shock box that takes up alot of space on a shelf.
    My sentiments exactly. Keep us posted!

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual
    NeoGeoFreak (not related to the magazine) Co-Scammer
    Where is the bottom piece in the picture that holds the boards straight? I do not see it in the picture.

Also, you said this was 3D printed, I assume that is for prototyping, and the final product would be injection molded correct?

ChrisR

Choi's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    Where is the bottom piece in the picture that holds the boards straight? I do not see it in the picture.

Also, you said this was 3D printed, I assume that is for prototyping, and the final product would be injection molded correct?

ChrisR
    The pcb guide was printed too but the length of the pcb slots is about 5mm too narrow. It's one the adjustments I mentioned. Everything else about it is correct. It fits nicely inside the shell. Just doesnt allow the pcbs to slide through. Right now I'm using a stock pcb guide to keep the pcbs in place.

3D printing is strictly for prototyping. It has a fast turn around time is impractical for mass production. The final product will be injection molded just like the omega.

As for stickers, I completely forgot their inclusion when I ran the numbers. I'll crunch the numbers again and make it work so they're included.

Windjammers Wonder

I wonder if all this excitement will end up scouring the marketplace of the false and bad label MVS carts from all over in order for re-releases of AES-style MVS carts...

You'd have to be an enterprising sort of person to do this, but I'm sure a business can be run out of this sort of setup...

You could even set up a premium market wherein you get a Shockbox, a professionally printed Shockbox insert, a professionally printed instruction sheet, and the AES-style MVS cart for at least a $30 premium on any given cart.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

who's gonna make the labels?

The best work i've ever seen!

Thread Information