AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
If you want it to have the indented shoulders like the AES, a separate mold would have to be cast. If the current design is acceptable, you can get away with making a different pcb spacer if I shrink down the profile of the shell to be the lowest common denominator between the aes and mvs shells.

Our plan B snap cases seem to be designed to fit both MVS and AES. I assume we wouldn't need those shoulders then. Only important things are that the PCBs fit and that the shells fit into AES consoles.
We wouldn't need the back bump either. I assume such a bump only makes more troubles than it's worth anyway...

Btw. do you think you can have the normal MVS shell variant ready in April? We then would switch NEO XYX MVS to those.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Our plan B snap cases seem to be designed to fit both MVS and AES. I assume we wouldn't need those shoulders then. Only important things are that the PCBs fit and that the shells fit into AES consoles.
We wouldn't need the back bump either. I assume such a bump only makes more troubles than it's worth anyway...

Btw. do you think you can have the normal MVS shell variant ready in April? We then would switch NEO XYX MVS to those.

I don't have any plans to release standard issue mvs shells at the moment. If you really need them, I could go ahead and replicate it but the same minimums would apply.

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
I don't have any plans to release standard issue mvs shells at the moment. If you really need them, I could go ahead and replicate it but the same minimums would apply.

Yes, I know. "Normal" was the wrong word for it.
I meant those AES style MVS shells.

Any time plan for those?

Phades

New Challenger
I'm in for a few. I have a couple really nasty looking carts that I'd love to swap out.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Yes, I know. "Normal" was the wrong word for it.
I meant those AES style MVS shells.

Any time plan for those?

As soon as I get the prototype in hand with some paint (prototypes usually come in a beige/opaque color) and a label, I'll open up preorders for them. When the minimums are met, I'll send out payment info and it should be about 2-3 months to cut the mold, texture, and product the first batch.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I just picked up the prototype from the shop. This is how all 3d prints look right out of the machine. It's hard to tell some of the feature without some paint and sticker but it should give you an idea of how it's going to look. As you can tell the pcbs fit. All it needs is a couple minor adjustments and it will be ready for production.

shell_proto_1_zps5247b524.png

shell_proto_2_zpsebe610fa.png

shell_proto_3_zps8e10d0dd.png

shell_proto_4_zps3a781190.png

barto

Overtop Pathfinder
Looking good shadowkn55!!! Cant wait till we see it all painted up and with a sticker. I also think that a dust protector would be a nice alternative to say a shock box that takes up alot of space on a shelf.

chrisr

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual, NeoGeoFr
20 Year Member
Those look very nice. I like the design with the space for the cart sticker not needing to go over where the cart comes together. A definite improvement over the original AES design, and should make for some really nice looking MVS carts.

You might consider making a similar spot of the side of the cart for the NGF sticker.
just kidding!

ChrisR

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Count me in for 10-20 as long as you're able to keep your word on providing stickers for 1st run customers. Nice work on these. Looking forward to seeing what kind of templates the community pumps out for the sticker art.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Well, the transparent ones will allow you to clearly see the boards and tell if they're genuine or fake.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well, the transparent ones will allow you to clearly see the boards and tell if they're genuine or fake.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind rocking some clear ones like the original MVS clears in this style with label.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Transparent ones would be awesome but I'd like to leave that possibility for a batch past the first run. It's a little trickier to work with and make look perfect. The first batch will consist entirely of black shells for simplicity sake.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I'm in too! I don't have many MVS games (only a dozen) right now, but I would replace the shells on all of them. I've always wanted them to look like a retail game. Of course, I would save the original shells for collecting purposes. If the price can be around $12 - $15 per shell, that would be ok.

Yeah, if the price can stay at $15 at most and you provide labels for the first run, you can count me in for 10. These look great, but $20 for each would be too much for me.

Is anyone in the community working on the label side yet?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
nice... I'm even more tempted than before!

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Looking good shadowkn55!!! Cant wait till we see it all painted up and with a sticker. I also think that a dust protector would be a nice alternative to say a shock box that takes up alot of space on a shelf.

My sentiments exactly. Keep us posted!

chrisr

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual, NeoGeoFr
20 Year Member
Where is the bottom piece in the picture that holds the boards straight? I do not see it in the picture.

Also, you said this was 3D printed, I assume that is for prototyping, and the final product would be injection molded correct?

ChrisR

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Where is the bottom piece in the picture that holds the boards straight? I do not see it in the picture.

Also, you said this was 3D printed, I assume that is for prototyping, and the final product would be injection molded correct?

ChrisR

The pcb guide was printed too but the length of the pcb slots is about 5mm too narrow. It's one the adjustments I mentioned. Everything else about it is correct. It fits nicely inside the shell. Just doesnt allow the pcbs to slide through. Right now I'm using a stock pcb guide to keep the pcbs in place.

3D printing is strictly for prototyping. It has a fast turn around time is impractical for mass production. The final product will be injection molded just like the omega.

As for stickers, I completely forgot their inclusion when I ran the numbers. I'll crunch the numbers again and make it work so they're included.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I wonder if all this excitement will end up scouring the marketplace of the false and bad label MVS carts from all over in order for re-releases of AES-style MVS carts...

You'd have to be an enterprising sort of person to do this, but I'm sure a business can be run out of this sort of setup...

You could even set up a premium market wherein you get a Shockbox, a professionally printed Shockbox insert, a professionally printed instruction sheet, and the AES-style MVS cart for at least a $30 premium on any given cart.