Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

Choi's Barber

This is what sent I to the shop for the prototype. I should have a hard sample by the end of the week. I put in screw holes for easy assembly/dis-assembly and added a few aesthetic details.

Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.

Officially want. Any chance in getting specs for the label dimensions? I wanna start mocking them up now.

Krauser's Henchman

Definitely would buy some, especially for those more expensive carts that have super crappy labels or no labels at all.

Choi's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by pixeljunkie View Post
    Officially want. Any chance in getting specs for the label dimensions? I wanna start mocking them up now.
    The cut out is 99mm x 99mm but to be safe, you should go with either a 97mm or 98mm square. The corners have a radius of 2.5mm.

Nice.. they should be named CMVS cart shells Though I still like the way mvs ones look. Will need to wait until ive seen one in the flesh to compare

Choi's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    What kind of finish are you doing? I think the same as the Omega would be nice.
    Either the same finish or something a little smoother like the AES carts.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

certainly looks promising, the CMVS dudes will be all over those as replacment shells these will be nice, can't promise I'd buy some, will have to think about it a bit (I'm actually ok with roughed up carts, as long as the game works...).

Die Gans

looks promising. i would like to see a few comparison pics with a real home cart next to the prototype.
    Originally Posted by kernow:
    Serious, serious problems man, you have them.

Crossed Swords Squire

Probably go with something like this for mine, not sure.

"Hey a cunt is a cunt, a spade is a spade, and a metal slug is a metal slug."

Nice but not a fan of the big red brandind/logo.. i think it should be more pure like the AES versions..

nice idea though

Mr. Big's Thug

Looking great!

How much work would it be to redesign this design into AES format?
    NG: DEV.TEAM - The future is 2D

NG: DEV.TEAM | Facebook | Youtube |Twitter |Shop

N00b of Syougi

Wow, looks really nice. I don't know if it is too late but, is it possible to add the hump on the back side? Like the AES carts have. That would break out of the all-square design a little. I know, the shoulders are out of the question.

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Quote Originally Posted by gegrago View Post
    Wow, looks really nice. I don't know if it is too late but, is it possible to add the hump on the back side? Like the AES carts have. That would break out of the all-square design a little. I know, the shoulders are out of the question.
    Man that is sweet looking! The bump on the back side would make it even sweeter (if its not too late)

Agreed.. needs back bump

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

hm. I doubt the "back bump" would be a good idea for all the folks that have 1slots with horizontal intake (I like and own 2 of those)... Most likely everyone with a MV-1(A), MV-1B, MV-1F(T/S/Z) etc. will have a hard time to insert such a cart without breaking something.

How about an inward bump then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny l3lanka View Post
    How about an inward bump then?
    I'd imagine that might encroach on the space for the boards buddy :-)

Worlds Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NG:DEV.TEAM View Post
    Looking great!

Please buy some thousand so we can finally get our games.

Quote Originally Posted by IDCHAPPY View Post
    I'd imagine that might encroach on the space for the boards buddy :-)
    Well maybe only just a slight bump... enough to let the board breath.. or maybe just don't listen to me coz I don't know what I'm talking about!

I'll say this.. this is going to make collecting for neogeo a hell of a lot more confusing especially for newcomers

Choi's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by NG:DEV.TEAM View Post
    Looking great!

If you want it to have the indented shoulders like the AES, a separate mold would have to be cast. If the current design is acceptable, you can get away with making a different pcb spacer if I shrink down the profile of the shell to be the lowest common denominator between the aes and mvs shells.

As for the bump, I decided against it. Adding the bump doesn't play well with stacking and storing of the carts. This isn't an issue with AES carts since the majority of them have their own cases to get a flat surface on both sides.

H = Heinously
    M = Massive
    G = Gonad

Just wanted to say that on the subject of a "bump" getting in the way of horizontal slot loaders, if the new cart shell design has the label in the same direction as AES carts, the bump would be facing up and the label facing down... Basically, the bump wouldn't be a problem with a front loader, but the label would get scratched up.

On the same token though, having the label facing down is something you have to live with, because if you switched the direction of the label, it would face the wrong way in a vertical loading MVS.

N00b of Syougi

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post

As for the bump, I decided against it. Adding the bump doesn't play well with stacking and storing of the carts. This isn't an issue with AES carts since the majority of them have their own cases to get a flat surface on both sides.
    Then again, the whole idea of this newly designed cart shells is to embellish the boards themselves! We already have shock boxes (and maybe newly design cases too) that can do the job of flat storage. Maybe if you do a consumer poll will give you a better idea of what the market wants.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMachineGun View Post
    Just wanted to say that on the subject of a "bump" getting in the way of horizontal slot loaders, if the new cart shell design has the label in the same direction as AES carts, the bump would be facing up and the label facing down... Basically, the bump wouldn't be a problem with a front loader, but the label would get scratched up.

On the same token though, having the label facing down is something you have to live with, because if you switched the direction of the label, it would face the wrong way in a vertical loading MVS.
    good point, didn't take that into account. To avoid scratching the labels too much one could perhaps add some soft plastic foil (e.g. from an antistatic bag) to the "slot guide"... will have to try that out.

Thread Information