AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Just wanted to add something..

I was thinking about this the other day.. I recently found a few CPS3 games.. and I noticed that they all have very nice label art.. also they are monochrome.. some blue, some orange..

perhaps this would be a nice idea for these new MVS shells.. you know.. to differentiate from the AES coloured labels.. give them a more arcade feel while still holding some aesthetic touch..

what do people think? If it's a silly idea just slap me and I'll shut up :p

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just wanted to add something..

I was thinking about this the other day.. I recently found a few CPS3 games.. and I noticed that they all have very nice label art.. also they are monochrome.. some blue, some orange..

perhaps this would be a nice idea for these new MVS shells.. you know.. to differentiate from the AES coloured labels.. give them a more arcade feel while still holding some aesthetic touch..

what do people think? If it's a silly idea just slap me and I'll shut up :p

When I first imagined the labels for these shells I immediately thought of something like the STV carts the have a colored border and then have the normal art inside the border.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
When I first imagined the labels for these shells I immediately thought of something like the STV carts the have a colored border and then have the normal art inside the border.

Ah you mean the ones that look like grey famicom carts? Haven't seen them in the flesh just did a quick google image search.. they seem to only have the title of the game in a coloured border without any art. Are those the ones you refer to?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah you mean the ones that look like grey famicom carts? Haven't seen them in the flesh just did a quick google image search.. they seem to only have the title of the game in a coloured border without any art. Are those the ones you refer to?

Yup, as far as the border that is. Instead of plain white in the middle it would be game art and meg count and what not.

butteroj

n00b
I love this idea! I might actually buy alot more games if the carts/labels werent so crappy.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I wonder how far this project has gone.. I love MVS carts the way they are.. but nothing wrong with having the option of consolising them :p If that's what we can call it.. I'd buy 5 or 6 then decide what I like better..

It's funny but I can see these becoming very desirable in the foreseeable future.. maybe I'm wrong but just a hunch

medic_wheat

Kabuki Klasher
This would be good to use as replacements or for MVS were the original lable is gone or so poorly mangaled its time for something better

C

ceramicsaturn

I'd buy one simply to replace my banana yellow 161-1 cart's shell.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I would be interested as some of my mvs carts are pretty scuffed up

Mr. Zurkon

Zero's Secretary
I would definitely love these, they would make all my MVS carts look sexy sitting in my Omega :D

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I'm just hoping the plastic will be similar to AES / MVS cart shells and not that horribly crappy plastic you sometimes see on new electronics. The smooth plastic that never has the same color tone over the entire object. From the sounds of things though, these shells will now be pretty good. I like how the label space is much bigger AND there's no seam. These new shells basically fix all the problems with the original AES shells.

..and no more heads chopped off by the fold of the label!! If you know what I mean! Haha! Seriously.. I love SNK.. but these things seem soo lazy!!

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I had a talk with my mold injection guy and we came up with numbers and prices on the shells. These are what I need in preorders to make it happen. Right now, I just want to figure out how many people want to participate in the first run. I don't need payments right now, just "soft" commitments meaning that you'll follow through once it becomes available. When one of the minimums is met, I'll put out details on payment.

1000 pcs - $20 each
1500 pcs - $15 each
2000+ pcs - $12.50 each

The plan is to do the shells in black. In the meantime, I'll have a prototype made with a label so people can get a good idea of what it looks like in practice. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Im in for a few. It would be awesome to have this+custom case...
Thanks for the effort.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I had a talk with my mold injection guy and we came up with numbers and prices on the shells. These are what I need in preorders to make it happen. Right now, I just want to figure out how many people want to participate in the first run. I don't need payments right now, just "soft" commitments meaning that you'll follow through once it becomes available. When one of the minimums is met, I'll put out details on payment.

1000 pcs - $20 each
1500 pcs - $15 each
2000+ pcs - $12.50 each

The plan is to do the shells in black. In the meantime, I'll have a prototype made with a label so people can get a good idea of what it looks like in practice. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi.

I'd be in at 15 usd each. But can you guarantee AES-like quality? Would be nice to see some pics of your prototype :)

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Hi.

I'd be in at 15 usd each. But can you guarantee AES-like quality? Would be nice to see some pics of your prototype :)

It would be easy to guarantee aes-like or higher quality. I already use a higher grade plastic in the omega than what is used in the aes.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Man, you know I'm in for this. Can't wait to see your prototype pics.

Seems like a very cool idea and I would probably replace 90% of my shells with this (and just keep the original shells in a box for collecting purposes).

No harm in making stuff look nicer :)

Last edited:

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm in too! I don't have many MVS games (only a dozen) right now, but I would replace the shells on all of them. I've always wanted them to look like a retail game. Of course, I would save the original shells for collecting purposes. If the price can be around $12 - $15 per shell, that would be ok.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'd be down at the $15 price for quite a few

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd be in for at least a few of them to start out with, and if I like them I may convert my whole collection.