AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I've been watching this thread, but have not commented because I do not own an MVS (yet). I just wanted to drop you a line and say congrats these really do look spectacular!

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
This thread just gets better and better. Where have all these people been for the last 15 years?!

I just read these threads and laugh to myself about all these great ideas people come up with, and how everyone loves them. For the record, I think they are great too, and have been great, since 1994 when I was playing MVS on my personally made "super gun", and 1997 when NGF started color coding and branding our products.

These shells make traditional MVS shells look like complete garbage. Congrats on design, and your decision to put your logo on your product, you deserve it!
no one cares

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
:eye::eye:

wow, they came out great! curious what the textured clear case will look like.

These are the last batch of proto pics. Got them all textured up and looking nice. These are pretty damn close to what the final will look like except the clear one. It will have a light texture like the black and red shells.

omega_shell_final_1_zps45a83d82.png

omega_shell_final_2_zps56240d66.png

omega_shell_final_3_zpse7f3bfe9.png

omega_shell_final_4_zpse99f01a6.png

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
I have really come round to these - they look brilliant.

Not sure how you're planning to sell these, but I would be willing to do distribution in the UK if you would like some assistance!

Last edited:

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey

Not sure how you're planning to sell these, but I would be willing to do distribution in the UK if you would like some assistance!

That sounds like it would help alot.. I would be down if it meant avoiding nasty custom charges and what not.. too bad theres no such help when it comes to shock boxes..

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member

Was just thinking the same thing after seeing the latest prototypes of these. The shiny black proto at VBA's looked great too, but the texturing is definitely much nicer. Going to take a crap/fake label count of my carts and get a number ready for you Quan. :)

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

Yeah. I could definitely use a distribution arm out in Europe. It would cut down on shipping costs and customs fees for those that only want a few pieces.

I'll put up the kickstarter when I get back from Midwest and we'll go from there.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Will there be a minimum per color?

I'd like to have several hundred of the non-black colors when that becomes an option. The most practical way would be to do them in batches one color at a time. I'll have a poll setup with color choices to pick from. The top 1 or 2 vote getters would be the colors I do first.

ELebron77

n00b
I'd like to have several hundred of the non-black colors when that becomes an option. The most practical way would be to do them in batches one color at a time. I'll have a poll setup with color choices to pick from. The top 1 or 2 vote getters would be the colors I do first.

Wow, I'm glad I discovered this forum when I did!...Not only I bought my first CMVS (Omega), but now I could replace my carts with these sweet shells!...I'm excited about this. Good thing I only have 9 games so far, so it wont break my bank replacing the shells. I'm one who would love to raplace the shells since I'm not a "collector" and I actually play my games and not let them collect dust. I don't care about boxed games, scuffed-loose carts or scratched-up labels, but replacing the shells with these will definitly make them look awesome. Any official price point yet?

Last edited:

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
These are the last batch of proto pics. Got them all textured up and looking nice. These are pretty damn close to what the final will look like except the clear one. It will have a light texture like the black and red shells.

omega_shell_final_1_zps45a83d82.png

omega_shell_final_2_zps56240d66.png

omega_shell_final_3_zpse7f3bfe9.png

omega_shell_final_4_zpse99f01a6.png

Holy shit. Didn't even think I would care about the non-black options, but that red one is awesome.

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
What about the Labels? Will that be something that comes with the cases, or will that be something the consumer downloads and prints themselves? What kind of printer/paper works best?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The price for black carts is set at $15. The colored shells will be the same price or a little higher depending on material costs and injection difficulty.

Sticker printing will be included as part of the kickstarter. After that, I'll provide the service like southtown. Free downloads of the source with an option for paid printing and cutting. The art itself will need to be community provided. A couple members have already done a spectacular job with the art used in the samples above. The three stickers above were done on vinyl sticker paper with a thin laminate top layer.

Last edited:

Nerdy

Kabuki Klasher
Do you have any ideia how the kickstarter is going to work? like for example x ammount of money will give you Y ammount of cases ?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Do you have any ideia how the kickstarter is going to work? like for example x ammount of money will give you Y ammount of cases ?

I'll have a $15 item backing that will equal one cart shell per item bought.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Great job! These look fantastic.

fr33m4n

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Fuck my OCD... (LOL)

Fuck the Logo... (LOL)

I want at all!!!!

But first... i wanna see the Labels! Could you give us some samples to see? They will follow a standard right?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
You should have some higher kickstarter tiers with discounts on the carts so people can buy in bulk! Like 100 Cases for $1300 etc. And there should be some kickstarter bonus rewards at higher tiers too, like Shockboxes and Neo Geo swag. Maybe a tier where an artist who wants to toss in his support will design you a custom sticker template for your entire collection? There could even be a $1800 Tier that came with 100 shells and an Omega CMVS!

All I know is the first thing you should do is get rot on board to provide signed photos of himself half naked with neo games! $1000 - 55 shells and Rot will film a special naked birthday greeting for you and send it to you on your birthday.

edit:

Ok no seriously, I just had the best idea... a lottery.. a very small number of the cases will be filled, at random, with ACTUAL GAMES when you receive them. Most of the games are shite that is ultra cheap but SOMEWHERE there is an ultra rare copy of something, and anyone can win it! Except that the more cases you buy, the more likely you are to win!! Shoot who wouldn't drop for a few cases if there was a Twinkle Star Sprites randomly floating around in one of them? Maybe you can get NGdev to donate something? A special kickstarter only signed copy of Gunlord sent off to some random backer inside of one of the shells would be pretty hot.

Last edited:

BlueBMW

New Challenger
I saw these carts in person this weekend at the Midwest Gaming Classic.... they look and feel fantastic...