AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
These are some preview pics of the aes-style mvs shells I alluded to way back when (this is not the mystery project I sporadically mention). I'm looking to get some feedback on the design before I add the mounting features. Now is your chance to suggest any changes or call this idea completely silly.

As it is designed now, the profile of the replacement shell is the same as a real mvs shell so it will still fit inside a shockbox. I haven't decided on how to fasten the two halves together but I'm leaning towards screws instead of snap-together.

The sticker cut-out currently measures 100mm x 100mm. The labels will need to be community supplied but I'll be happy to host them and provide a printing service a la southtown.

To make this project possible, I'm going to need quite a few people signed up for this. Probably looking at 1000 pieces for the first run. On the bright side, I'll offer free labels for the first batch of orders.

I'll have some numbers (pricing and such) after I add the mounting features and send it out for a quote.

omega_shell_1.png

omega_shell_2.png

omega_shell_3.png

omega_shell_4.png

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Waiting for Kernow to see this lol.

Good effort mate but tbh i dont think there is anything wrong with the mvs shells as they are, esoecially if you can get them in red. I have a red KOF 98 that i take to bed with me every night.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Waiting for Kernow to see this lol.

Good effort mate but tbh i dont think there is anything wrong with the mvs shells as they are, esoecially if you can get them in red. I have a red KOF 98 that i take to bed with me every night.

I'm waiting for his stamp of denial as well. But I do have the luxury of injecting them in any color. I do have a soft spot for the orange kof 2k2.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nice idea, I think some of us would be down for them but I honestly reckon the original MVS cases to be far more suited.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The big selling feature here is the un-tearable label. What a huge improvement! I don't think I'd be buying many of them though, don't have a lot of MVS carts and only one has a fake label.

Absolutely fantastic shell design though, the best I've seen so far!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Interesting, but remember, MVS carts do have a lot more ventilation as they are normally run for much longer hours than home carts, and in enclosed spaces. If the cart isn't properly ventilated, it could cause damage to the games with extended use.

I'd actually love to see brand new replicas of the original MVS shell. Inject them in different colors and I can see them selling a lot better than this new design. As is, this is very cool, but it sort of ruins the entire aesthetic of the MVS cart. ;) I don't think most MVS owners want their carts to look like home carts.

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
I see it the same like RabbitTroop.

With recreating the original MVS shell designs you would have have us as a customer for sure. Especially if you are flexible with colors. We would take several hundreds each year...

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I know everyone has a special place in their heart for the original mvs cart but they are still currently being manufactured (i.e. multi-carts). I suppose you could track down the factory that makes them with some effort. I'd be more inclined to recreate the original design if this weren't the case. I could make some improvements like making the label crease-free as shown above. Other than that, no need to reinvent the wheel.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
No offence but, that's kind of what you're doing isn't it?

It sounds silly but I like the ugliness of the mvs cart.

Not at all. Reinventing the wheel is making an exact duplicate of the original design. That's already been done by factories that supply the market with boots and multi-carts. What I'm doing is putting a different spin on the design and make it more aesthetically pleasing. I'm not saying that everyone should run out and reshell all their games with them. Like many others, most of the carts in my collection aren't in the greatest condition since they came from arcade ops and they aren't known to keep them in pristine condition.

Eventually I'd like to use these new shells to provide the housing for another project in the pipeline.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Not at all. Reinventing the wheel is making an exact duplicate of the original design. That's already been done by factories that supply the market with boots and multi-carts. What I'm doing is putting a different spin on the design and make it more aesthetically pleasing. I'm not saying that everyone should run out and reshell all their games with them. Like many others, most of the carts in my collection aren't in the greatest condition since they came from arcade ops and they aren't known to keep them in pristine condition.

Eventually I'd like to use these new shells to provide the housing for another project in the pipeline.

There's no doubt that it's cool... It's just not for me. For people that use MVS games in a consolized setup, it's a fun idea to have these shells. For me, I just have the games in my cab. Sure, labels may be worn and the carts scratched, but they're tucked into my Candy and never get seen. That, and... Like I said, I like the original design. Still, always great to have options. I'm sure there will be some people out there that want them.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
There's no doubt that it's cool... It's just not for me. For people that use MVS games in a consolized setup, it's a fun idea to have these shells. For me, I just have the games in my cab. Sure, labels may be worn and the carts scratched, but they're tucked into my Candy and never get seen. That, and... Like I said, I like the original design. Still, always great to have options. I'm sure there will be some people out there that want them.

Yeah, I completely agree with this. This would probably be geared more towards those running a consolized setup. I just couldn't see myself going through the trouble just to have my carts hidden inside a cab all the time. I definitely appreciate the effort though. It is a nice design.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Great project shadow... I think these are a great idea... and yes everyone is right no-one is going to replace all their cart shells with these.. I know for one I will not as I like them looking like arcade carts.

But once the internal boards are being recreated, then for the people SAC'ing carts they will have an alternative... and as mentioned by NG: DEV new homebrew projects will have a source for shells too.

Keep up the great work mate... looking forward for the next project in the pipeline... :D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I like the design, especially the non-creasing label. I'd go with screws as well on the back side of the cart.

As for colors, I think standard black would just look the best.

As for ventilation, it isn't really needed more than what the design shows. This product is obviously geared towards the CMVS owners and not cab owners.

I don't think the product is needed per se but it is nice to have more options for what the end user wants to do with their collection. I'd of course wish someone made replacement stock shells as well as this. I think this would look nice nested in the Omega especially.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
screws obliviously. What about having room for the full length label on the top still with the spot for the picture on the front? or just a seperate space on the front for graphics? Marble color pours of red orange black and blue - the same with transparemt colors too? would that work with transparemt colors?

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I think this is a great concept. I can only think it'd be ideal though if you were a reseller of MVS titles. Buy a bunch of torn label/replacement label copies, transfer their guts to these shells, and then sell them along with consolized MVS setups.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Awesome, well-thought design. Too bad MVS carts weren't packaged in these originally. A lot of people would probably prefer to leave boards in their original shells at this point though.

What about making "caps" with game art stickers to put over the MVS cart? Think SNES dust cover, only longer & vented on the back. Dress up the carts, keep original shells, protect original end labels and... collect the whole set.

Just a thought.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is pretty swanky, and would be pretty cool for those with a top loading CMVS. I might grab some if they aren't too expensive.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
screws obliviously. What about having room for the full length label on the top still with the spot for the picture on the front? or just a seperate space on the front for graphics? Marble color pours of red orange black and blue - the same with transparemt colors too? would that work with transparemt colors?

It would look a little awkward to have some sort of combo sticker system. The underside of the sticker region would have a smooth, shiny (i.e. untextured) surface that would make it stand apart from the rest of the shell would have texturing and slightly different coloration. I can definitely get different colors as well as transparency. The marbling and multi-colors might be a different scenario. I'll have to ask if that's within the shop's capability.

Awesome, well-thought design. Too bad MVS carts weren't packaged in these originally. A lot of people would probably prefer to leave boards in their original shells at this point though.

What about making "caps" with game art stickers to put over the MVS cart? Think SNES dust cover, only longer & vented on the back. Dress up the carts, keep original shells, protect original end labels and... collect the whole set.

Just a thought.

I'm partial to the original mvs cart design also but I wanted to through something out there to get people's opinion on. I'm going to prototype and cast it in polyurethane in the future to see what it looks like in practice. The 3D drawings only provide half the detail.

If you add a little more plastic to the cap concept, you have the shockbox. There is also slight variations in the shell sizes throughout the mvs release cycle. The earlier releases had shells that were 1-2mm wider than the later releases. It sounds small but it's enough to make a difference between a snug fit and a tight fit for a case that large.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If the shells were transparent, people wouldn't need to open the carts to see if the boards are original or boot.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Looks noce but I am worried we'll end up with a lot of butchered original carts.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks noce but I am worried we'll end up with a lot of butchered original carts.

I'm hoping this would only be used on carts that were bastards that had no kit and no legit labels in the wild ala Yaton.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I'm hoping this would only be used on carts that were bastards that had no kit and no legit labels in the wild ala Yaton.

That's the idea but I can't control what happens to them after they leave my hands.