AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
This is what sent I to the shop for the prototype. I should have a hard sample by the end of the week. I put in screw holes for easy assembly/dis-assembly and added a few aesthetic details.

amvs_1_zpsddf3c613.png

amvs_2_zpsf533c12c.png

amvs_3_zps9466dec7.png

amvs_4_zps4eb702ed.png

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Officially want. Any chance in getting specs for the label dimensions? I wanna start mocking them up now.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Definitely would buy some, especially for those more expensive carts that have super crappy labels or no labels at all.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Officially want. Any chance in getting specs for the label dimensions? I wanna start mocking them up now.

The cut out is 99mm x 99mm but to be safe, you should go with either a 97mm or 98mm square. The corners have a radius of 2.5mm.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Nice.. they should be named CMVS cart shells :) Though I still like the way mvs ones look. Will need to wait until ive seen one in the flesh to compare

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What kind of finish are you doing? I think the same as the Omega would be nice.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
certainly looks promising, the CMVS dudes will be all over those ;) as replacment shells these will be nice, can't promise I'd buy some, will have to think about it a bit (I'm actually ok with roughed up carts, as long as the game works...).

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
looks promising. i would like to see a few comparison pics with a real home cart next to the prototype.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Nice but not a fan of the big red brandind/logo.. i think it should be more pure like the AES versions..

nice idea though

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Wow, looks really nice. I don't know if it is too late but, is it possible to add the hump on the back side? Like the AES carts have. That would break out of the all-square design a little. I know, the shoulders are out of the question.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Wow, looks really nice. I don't know if it is too late but, is it possible to add the hump on the back side? Like the AES carts have. That would break out of the all-square design a little. I know, the shoulders are out of the question.
Man that is sweet looking! The bump on the back side would make it even sweeter (if its not too late)

xsq

hm. I doubt the "back bump" would be a good idea for all the folks that have 1slots with horizontal intake (I like and own 2 of those)... Most likely everyone with a MV-1(A), MV-1B, MV-1F(T/S/Z) etc. will have a hard time to insert such a cart without breaking something.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I'd imagine that might encroach on the space for the boards buddy :-)

Well maybe only just a slight bump... enough to let the board breath.. or maybe just don't listen to me coz I don't know what I'm talking about! :D

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I'll say this.. this is going to make collecting for neogeo a hell of a lot more confusing especially for newcomers

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Looking great!

How much work would it be to redesign this design into AES format?

If you want it to have the indented shoulders like the AES, a separate mold would have to be cast. If the current design is acceptable, you can get away with making a different pcb spacer if I shrink down the profile of the shell to be the lowest common denominator between the aes and mvs shells.

As for the bump, I decided against it. Adding the bump doesn't play well with stacking and storing of the carts. This isn't an issue with AES carts since the majority of them have their own cases to get a flat surface on both sides.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Just wanted to say that on the subject of a "bump" getting in the way of horizontal slot loaders, if the new cart shell design has the label in the same direction as AES carts, the bump would be facing up and the label facing down... Basically, the bump wouldn't be a problem with a front loader, but the label would get scratched up.

On the same token though, having the label facing down is something you have to live with, because if you switched the direction of the label, it would face the wrong way in a vertical loading MVS.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
As for the bump, I decided against it. Adding the bump doesn't play well with stacking and storing of the carts. This isn't an issue with AES carts since the majority of them have their own cases to get a flat surface on both sides.

Then again, the whole idea of this newly designed cart shells is to embellish the boards themselves! We already have shock boxes (and maybe newly design cases too) that can do the job of flat storage. Maybe if you do a consumer poll will give you a better idea of what the market wants.

xsq

Just wanted to say that on the subject of a "bump" getting in the way of horizontal slot loaders, if the new cart shell design has the label in the same direction as AES carts, the bump would be facing up and the label facing down... Basically, the bump wouldn't be a problem with a front loader, but the label would get scratched up.

On the same token though, having the label facing down is something you have to live with, because if you switched the direction of the label, it would face the wrong way in a vertical loading MVS.
good point, didn't take that into account. To avoid scratching the labels too much one could perhaps add some soft plastic foil (e.g. from an antistatic bag) to the "slot guide"... will have to try that out.