World Cup 2014 - Qualifiers

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What can I say except we'll done to France ,first team to ever turn a deficit of 2 goal down to win 3 nil ,
Looks like the French do have a bit of JE NE SAIA QUA!

Totally agree with XC about c7 in top form.

It's actually very hard to win away in Ukraine. I remember making fun of Donbass stadium only to see the Ukrainians wreak havoc on Roma a few years ago. Sad moment in football history.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
If France didn't make it the whole thing would have been a farce. FFS we are there and they pumped us 6 - 0 in a friendly a month ago :lol:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
If France didn't make it the whole thing would have been a farce. FFS we are there and they pumped us 6 - 0 in a friendly a month ago :lol:

World Cup '98 in France was THE world cup that got me hooked to watching football as a whole, and for them not to be there would've been very VERY disappointing for me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
World Cup '98 in France was THE world cup that got me hooked to watching football as a whole, and for them not to be there would've been very VERY disappointing for me.

Imagine living in France during that cup. It was a bigger party than NYE y2k.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The last test match of us vs Italy ended 1:1. Some say that it was boring but I saw some promising things there on the field, like our improved defense and the fact that we scored a header goal after a corner kick (!)... I mean, we used to notoriously suck at corner kicks and had a kinda disorganized defense, if this really has been remedied now, I think we're fit for Brazil.

The test against the UK was okay, basically went as predicted... the English lads played well, could have been a draw as well, but hey, it's Wembley and GER vs ENG... there's an unwritten law, you know...! :D

As for Ronaldo, I think they concentrate too much on his power, it's like "Portugal presents CR7". Not good.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
World Cup Draw is in 4 days fellas. Predictions? Who do you want/ who would you rather avoid?

Here are the Pot 1 seeds (each Pot 1 seed will be in its own group)

Brazil (host)
Spain
Germany
Argentina
Colombia
Belgium
Switzerland
Uruguay

My predictions for the remaining pots are :

Pot 2 - other UEFA teams - Netherlands, England, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Russia, Bosnia, France

Pot 3 - Asia and Concacaf - Iran, Japan, Australia, Sth Korea, USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras

Pot 4 - CAF, CONMEBOL and 2 additional UEFA teams - Croatia, Ivory Coast, Chile, Ecuador, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon

Each group is made up of 1 team per Pot and are drawn at random i believe. At least in 2010 it was. Of course Sep could pull an audible and the draw rules may change.

gonna be a tough draw for most teams if my pots 2-4 are accurate. Whoever gets Switzerland or Columbia has more than a decent chance of progressing, otherwise it could be group of death time

thoughts/predictions?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
not sure if you know this but the pots have been decided already. Pot 3 is all of Africa, and France and Honduras I think. Pot 2 is Asia and Concacaf

The set up is totally stupid. Switzerland is getting a sweetheart deal. They have no place in pot 1. They should be in pot doodoo.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Either way England are going to get a hard group, I have heard rumour's that we could get the likes of Brazil and France in the same group as we are unseeded.

If we do get out of the group stages I would say we are a quarter finals team at best.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Pot 1

Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay, Switzerland

Pot 2

Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ecuador

Pot 3

Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras

Pot 4

Bosnia, Croatia, England, Greece, Italy, Holland, Portugal, Russia, France

A pre-draw will be held to move one of the nine European teams into Pot 2. That European team will then be drawn against one of the four seeded South American teams to preserve the geographical balance of the draw

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Almost every draw simulation for the US looks pretty miserable.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
It should make an interesting draw on Friday, we have also been into pot 4 with France so that means we won't be playing them in the group stages.

In each group there will be max two European teams and one each from South America.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
England's high chances of landing in a tough World Cup group increased further after Fifa threw a procedural curveball that could lead to Roy Hodgson's team facing Brazil, USA and Italy or Holland.

In an unexpected change to Friday's draw Fifa announced that one of the nine unseeded European teams in Pot Four, which include England, will be picked at random to switch to Pot Two. That pot currently has only the seven unseeded African and South American teams, so the switch will balance the numbers.

It means two unseeded European teams will end up facing one another and raises the possibility for the first time that England could end up in a "group of death" with Italy or Holland as well as Argentina or Brazil. Or they could still get lucky and draw Colombia, Greece and Honduras. The change was announced on the day Fifa admitted not all of the 12 stadiums required for next summer's tournament would meet existing deadlines amid rising concern over the construction timetable.

World football's governing body had the option of naming France, the lowest-ranked European nation, in Pot Two but decided instead that the one European team should be drawn at random.

The French president of Uefa, Michel Platini, expected to rival Sepp Blatter, the incumbent, for the Fifa presidency in 2015, is believed to have been the driving force behind that decision. Both Blatter and Platini have said they will decide after the World Cup whether to stand in 2015 but the shadow boxing has clearly begun.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/03/world-cup-2014-draw-fifa-england-pots

Naika

Street Hoop Star
The suspense is killing me folks. I'm just really REALLY curious who will be involved in the Group of Death next year.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Group A: Brazil, Cameroon, Mexico, Croatia
Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands
Group C: Colombia, Cote D'Ivoire, Japan, Greece
Group D: Uruguay, Italy, Costa Rica, ENGLAND!
Group E for Easy: Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras, France
Group F: Argentina, Nigeria, Iran, Bosnia-Herzegovina
Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal
Group H: Belgium, Algeria, South Korea, Russia

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
just wow

lots of brutal groups!

Australia got a raw deal also

England has a tough group

on the other hand, France doesnt even need to turn up and they will still go through

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Prediction: We're going to get 15 goals put on us.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Really happy with Belguim's group. Russia, Korea and Algeria. Maybe the easiest group? Oop, I just saw Argentina's...

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Belgium will progress for sure. I'm just wondering who will the other team be to escape from Group H.

England have a very challenging group. Uruguay and Italy will tear up any negative tactics thrown in.

Righty-o fellas, USA is in Group of Death. Super super tough.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
just wow

lots of brutal groups!

Australia got a raw deal also

England has a tough group

on the other hand, France doesnt even need to turn up and they will still go through

Australia got royally shafted. Even Mexico's group looks brutal.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Russia should go through. They have been a little under the radar during the qualifying campaign - all eyes were on Portugal in the group stages but Russia finished on top

I cant see the USA progressing to the round of 16.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Russia should go through. They have been a little under the radar during the qualifying campaign - all eyes were on Portugal in the group stages but Russia finished on top

I cant see the USA progressing to the round of 16.

Russia definitely have a chance. I don't know about South Korea though, but Algeria will be anonymous. USA's draw is just full of trouble. Even Ghana pose a threat (watch Gyan make a trademark injury time screamer).

And Costa Rica won't go down without a fight. England's really really got a war on their hands. No amount of long ball's gonna save anyone from that group.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
yeah, Ghana dismantled the USA in 2010 quite easily (2-1 from memory), im sure that will be playing in their minds.

South Korea are solid in Asia but shouldn't pose a threat in this tournament. Belgium have a good path to proceed. Well deserved also.

no easy games for most teams. And there will be some top class matches in the group stages

England v Italy
Germany v Portugal
Spain v Holland (repeat of 2010 final)