World Cup 2014 - Qualifiers

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Netherlands are definitely on the decline. The egotistical head coach and the aging players are a bad combination.

Ageing players ? ?
The main problem is that they are mostly youngsters without international experience .

They didn't do to bad though as we qualified as first, won all games with just one draw, scored 34 goals in the qualifying pool with 10 goals in just the last 2 games .
Still have a long way to go before they can compete with the top teams in the World Cup.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The USA saved Mexico's ass with Zusi's late equalizer. Holy moly I seriously thought Mexico were going to be eliminated.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
The USA saved Mexico's ass with Zusi's late equalizer. Holy moly I seriously thought Mexico were going to be eliminated.

I loved the Spanish commentators' reaction. They thank the US team, then they begin bashing on the Mexican team:

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
With 90 minutes gone I thought Mexico were out ,what a turnaround.
Just wondering what motivated USA to win that match knowing if they lost that match they arch reviles would be eliminated .

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Bye Bye France
Au Revoir

The World Cup does not need France anyway, their best years are well behind them.

The golden year's of France 98 and Euro 2000 are well and truly gone.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The World Cup does not need France anyway, their best years are well behind them.

The golden year's of France 98 and Euro 2000 are well and truly gone.

I disagree. The French team has more talent than England. Fact. List the best English players and then list the best French players and you find that England is very underpowered, combined with an unimaginative manager who lacks balls. I'm not saying England should not be in the cup, but if you want to call spades spades, be even handed about it.

The best thing for fans is if France beats Ukraine at home on Tuesday. How many great Ukrainian players can you name right now? Shevchenko is not an option. The cup needs to be as marketable as possible. Removing France is commercial suicide.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I disagree. The French team has more talent than England. Fact. List the best English players and then list the best French players and you find that England is very underpowered, combined with an unimaginative manager who lacks balls. I'm not saying England should not be in the cup, but if you want to call spades spades, be even handed about it.

The best thing for fans is if France beats Ukraine at home on Tuesday. How many great Ukrainian players can you name right now? Shevchenko is not an option. The cup needs to be as marketable as possible. Removing France is commercial suicide.

I never said England was a better team than France, on the contrary I know the English National team are shit and in my lifetime I will probably never see them lift the World Cup or the Euro's.

France are more technically gifted than England and for some reason we can't keep the ball and always try to play the long ball to get us out of trouble.

I agree Roy Hodgson is not the man for the job as he is the most boring man to listen too and has no personality, I would much rather have Harry Redknapp as our manager.

You must concur with me though in saying France no longer has the squad like they used to and never will again.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I never said England was a better team than France, on the contrary I know the English National team are shit and in my lifetime I will probably never see them lift the World Cup or the Euro's.

France are more technically gifted than England and for some reason we can't keep the ball and always try to play the long ball to get us out of trouble.

I agree Roy Hodgson is not the man for the job as he is the most boring man to listen too and has no personality, I would much rather have Harry Redknapp as our manager.

You must concur with me though in saying France no longer has the squad like they used to and never will again.

I'll agree to part of your statement but not all.

Never is a dirty word. They aren't the same as they were in the late 90s. That's fine. They are a more interesting and talented team right now, just lacking in the composure that they got from Thuram, Vieira and Henry. And that's probably because everyone on the team idolized Zidane, who was hotheaded too.

Ukraine in the WC is not interesting. They have been decent, but they aren't a quality team. Not even a dark horse contender. I know it's cool if the frogs are left croaking like the time they got rejected for membership into the commonwealth, but this country has filled the top ranks of English football for the past decade at least. In that sense, it could also be very bad for the PL, and the rank of teams like Newcastle and Arsenal.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I'll agree to part of your statement but not all.

Never is a dirty word. They aren't the same as they were in the late 90s. That's fine. They are a more interesting and talented team right now, just lacking in the composure that they got from Thuram, Vieira and Henry. And that's probably because everyone on the team idolized Zidane, who was hotheaded too.

Ukraine in the WC is not interesting. They have been decent, but they aren't a quality team. Not even a dark horse contender. I know it's cool if the frogs are left croaking like the time they got rejected for membership into the commonwealth, but this country has filled the top ranks of English football for the past decade at least. In that sense, it could also be very bad for the PL, and the rank of teams like Newcastle and Arsenal.

"Never" is a bit strong in saying France will never win the World Cup or the Euros again, and yes I would much rather see France in the World Cup than the Ukraine.

In all honesty if France qualifies and we somehow faced them in the final I could see them beating us purely on how very inconsistent our form is at the moment.

How do you think we will do against Germany on Tuesday? Considering how awful we played against Chile I could see the same thing happening again.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
I can imagine republic of Ireland fans enjoying this one with a pint of guinness.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I agree with Xander. Id rather see France over Ukraine who are just plain boring.

Same goes for Portugal over Sweden. It's a shame that one of those teams is going to miss out but at least Portugal in the WC/Euros have a tendency to lose their shit when things don't go their way and start racking up yellow and red cards. Usually makes for a good spectacle :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Same goes for Portugal over Sweden. It's a shame that one of those teams is going to miss out but at least Portugal in the WC/Euros have a tendency to lose their shit when things don't go their way and start racking up yellow and red cards. Usually makes for a good spectacle :)

I have two words for you

Greece - Romania

Mero

New Challenger
"How do you think we will do against Germany on Tuesday?

Will be watching this tonight, I think another spanking is on the cards to be honest, if it gets too painful to watch I might flip the channel to Brucie's Play Your Cards Right.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
It's very possible for England to either tie or lose at this point unless they revert to their 'old style', but Roy's got to start experimenting regardless. He's not the best fit as manager, but he's got to start toying with that midfield because when you're STILL relying on Fat Frank & Milner, you won't be on the counter at breakneck speed. I'm sure you guys have spoken about this at length already here, but that midfield needs better people who can hold the damn ball and play with pace. You got wingers and you got backs of all kinds, but there's got to be more.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Portugal 3-2 Sweden. I guess were going to the the world cup after all. :)

3 Goals for CR7.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
The-011.jpg

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
The Portugal vs Sweden game was great.
Earlier today Mexico was the 31th country to join the WC.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
What can I say except we'll done to France ,first team to ever turn a deficit of 2 goal down to win 3 nil ,
Looks like the French do have a bit of JE NE SAIA QUA!

Totally agree with XC about c7 in top form.

Last edited: