World Cup 2014 - Qualifiers

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Maybe a year and a half ago that would be a revelation.

no kidding. Belgium was a known power for at least a year now. When Hazard became big in Lille, it was apparent that they had enough top talent players to make a run. They already had Kompany, Vertonghen, Van Buyten, Fellaini and Witsel. Now the emergence of Benteke, Courtois and Mignolet makes it official.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
no kidding. Belgium was a known power for at least a year now. When Hazard became big in Lille, it was apparent that they had enough top talent players to make a run. They already had Kompany, Vertonghen, Van Buyten, Fellaini and Witsel. Now the emergence of Benteke, Courtois and Mignolet makes it official.

They have a complete, noteworthy 11. If they gel better, they have the potential to be a force to be reckoned with next year.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
They have a complete, noteworthy 11. If they gel better, they have the potential to be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Why Mourinho had to loan out Lukaku is a mystery. Having Hazard on the same club team with one of the Belgian NT strikers is a great benefit. But instead of offloading Torres, Mou got rid of Lukaku. Stupid really.

Courtois
Alderweireld Vermaelen Kompany Vertonghen
Fellaini Hazard Witsel Chadli
Lukaku Benteke

Mignolet, Van Buyten, Dembele, De Bruyne, Mertens

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I don't read too much into FIFA ranking but this is the latest table as of last week. Belgium are in 6th. This is their best-ever ranking.

1 Spain 1514 0 Equal
2 Argentina 1263 2 Up
3 Germany 1261 -1 Down
4 Italy 1199 2 Up
5 Colombia 1180 -2 Down
6 Belgium 1159 4 Up
7 Uruguay 1126 5 Up
8 Brazil 1067 1 Up
9 Netherlands 1058 -4 Down
10 Croatia 1051 -2 Down
11 Portugal 1029 -4 Down
12 Greece 1016 -1 Down
13 USA 996 6 Up
14 Switzerland 992 1 Up
15 Russia 968 1 Up

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Maybe it's because of the Belgian talent that plays in the Premier League, as well as other top football leagues.

Just take your pick: Mignolet (Sunderland), Courtois (Atletico) Hazard, Kompany (Man City) Van Buyten (Bayern), Vermaelan (Arsenal), Vertonghen (Spurs), Dembele (Spurs), Fellaini (Man Utd), Hazard (Chelsea), Mirallas (Everton), Benteke (Villa), Lukaku (Chelsea).

Most of these players play European football each season, So the talent is there. They will be a force in international football, sooner or later.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't read too much into FIFA ranking but this is the latest table as of last week. Belgium are in 6th. This is their best-ever ranking.

1 Spain 1514 0 Equal
2 Argentina 1263 2 Up
3 Germany 1261 -1 Down
4 Italy 1199 2 Up
5 Colombia 1180 -2 Down
6 Belgium 1159 4 Up
7 Uruguay 1126 5 Up
8 Brazil 1067 1 Up
9 Netherlands 1058 -4 Down
10 Croatia 1051 -2 Down
11 Portugal 1029 -4 Down
12 Greece 1016 -1 Down
13 USA 996 6 Up
14 Switzerland 992 1 Up
15 Russia 968 1 Up

Netherlands are definitely on the decline. The egotistical head coach and the aging players are a bad combination.
I'm very surprised at Colombia's position. They have some talent, but aren't even close to Uruguay or Brazil in terms of shear head to head skill. I also think that Spain and Argentina are ranked too high. Way too high.

Argentina has one of the best attacking sets in the world, but their defense is thin. Brazil has an amazing defense right now, with most of the top class defenders in the world - Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Marcelo, and when healthy, Dani Alves, is much better than the best 4 that Argentina can offer (Coloccini, Zabaleta, Garay?). And I believe that defenses win major tournaments.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Netherlands are definitely on the decline. The egotistical head coach and the aging players are a bad combination.
I'm very surprised at Colombia's position. They have some talent, but aren't even close to Uruguay or Brazil in terms of shear head to head skill. I also think that Spain and Argentina are ranked too high. Way too high.

Argentina has one of the best attacking sets in the world, but their defense is thin. Brazil has an amazing defense right now, with most of the top class defenders in the world - Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Marcelo, and when healthy, Dani Alves, is much better than the best 4 that Argentina can offer (Coloccini, Zabaleta, Garay?). And I believe that defenses win major tournaments.

Agree about Argentina. Watch Coloccini's back crumble again during a big tourey and they're through.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Im pretty excited about matches this weekend:

- Belgium needs 1 more point to qualify this weekend against Croatia. Hipsters around the world will be thrilled
- Bosnia have never qualified for a WC before. They are equal tied on points with Greece
- Uruguay v Ecuador. Equal on points and 2800m above sea level, Uruguay will be tested. If they win they go through. If they lose, they still need to face Argentina on Tuesday and failing that a playoff for a half spot in another region. (new zealand maybe?)
- England v Montenegro. England should win comfortably. Right??
- USA v Jamaica - well because ill be at the match tonight (sucks that its a dead rubber though)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I never made the connection between Belgium and hipsters, but you're right. That's going too be the best game by the way.

England is going to slip up. Vucinic is going to get a brace past Hart. Calls will pour out for Hart to be benched. I don't dislike Hart, but his form has been lacking. Something about the air in Manchester, not good for keepers.

Mexico match tonight should be okay.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
What i will say is that for once, the actual starting XI for England are all bang in form for their clubs and playing with confidence (Hart aside)
I'm going for draw tonight against Montenegro and win against Poland.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Hart is having a rough time of it indeed, anything could happen tonight.

totally forgot about Mexico, but yes will be a good match - alot of pressure on them. They may be looking for a new coach tommorow

Croatia v Belgium in Zagreb will easily be the match of the round this weekend. The hipster thing i saw in The Guardian the other day, i think it fits :)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
You know...

Evertime one of these turns up.... I don't even register who England are playing...

...FIRST thing I do is look for the teams i want to lose... err.... COME ON REPUBLIC OF IRELAND!

xROTx

PS. They be playing... teh Aryan Master race...

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Hart is having a rough time of it indeed, anything could happen tonight.

totally forgot about Mexico, but yes will be a good match - alot of pressure on them. They may be looking for a new coach tommorow

Croatia v Belgium in Zagreb will easily be the match of the round this weekend. The hipster thing i saw in The Guardian the other day, i think it fits :)

I read what hipster said and agreed with him but I don't agree with his two victories though. Who knows Serbia and Montenegro are quite capable of beating us tonight and the game against Poland on Tuesday is not a guaranteed victory either.

There is still plenty for us to do before we qualify for Brazil

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
vLChjAW.gif

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
It looks like all the big boys have qualified except England.
Missed all the football action last night.damm those night shifts.
Any news on which teams have qualified from south American.

Last edited:

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I think we should be convincing enough to beat Poland on Tuesday thus making us winners of Group H

I was surprised how easy the game was against Serbia and Montenegro as I thought they would have made it difficult for us to break down their defence but it was quite the opposite.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
England should win the group ,can't see Poland putting up a fight.