World Cup 2014 - Qualifiers

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Australia in some trouble now after drawing 2-2 with Oman. I think they have to win at least 2 of their final 3 games to make it.

The Oman players were rediculous, diving on the floor and being stretchered of then jumping back up once they get to the side line... awful.

theMot

10 Year Member
Nah im talking about Australia v Italy in the 2006 WC (knockout game - Totti took the penalty)

I think we used about about 30 years worth of good luck qualifying and then in the tournament itself that year.

Italy totally didn't deserve that though. Im of Italian background and I could never bring myself to support them.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Australia in some trouble now after drawing 2-2 with Oman. I think they have to win at least 2 of their final 3 games to make it.

The Oman players were rediculous, diving on the floor and being stretchered of then jumping back up once they get to the side line... awful.

yeah i know - i think they should still be able to make it through without too much trouble. Living in the USA, i don't get to catch their games as much as id like unfortunately.

Im still not that impressed with this coach - we need Hiddink back :(

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
in other news 0-0 USA v Mexico. Great match really. USA's defense was just brilliant.

Guzan has got howards number for sure. I was very impressed with him. Gonzales was exceptional too.

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I think we used about about 30 years worth of good luck qualifying and then in the tournament itself that year.

Italy totally didn't deserve that though. Im of Italian background and I could never bring myself to support them.

i've kinda gone the other way. growing up i always loathed the italians. I think once i remember one of their players, possibly, costacurta say how it was their divine right that they would not only qualify but also win world cups.

These days i respect them and enjoy watching them play. Same goes for Serie A. Its pretty good stuff most of the time.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
i've kinda gone the other way. growing up i always loathed the italians. I think once i remember one of their players, possibly, costacurta say how it was their divine right that they would not only qualify but also win world cups.

These days i respect them and enjoy watching them play. Same goes for Serie A. Its pretty good stuff most of the time.

Growing up they had better squads. Paolo Rossi was a beast in the 80s. And that's typical assholery from footy winners. Brazilians have acted the same, and for a while people hated Germans in soccer as well. You'll always have people who just want to express their entitlement. But time humbles every team. Fortunately.

theMot

10 Year Member
I laughed when Baggio cocked up in 1994, the next day my heritage was questioned by the other lads in the playground and an older Italian boy on the bus socked me in the head for being an obnoxious shit. Good times lol.

theMot

10 Year Member
Everyone in Australia is either a wog or a convict. Italians are the second biggest migrant group after the British though so there are plenty of us here. Of course though I always present myself as an aussie.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I laughed when Baggio cocked up in 1994, the next day my heritage was questioned by the other lads in the playground and an older Italian boy on the bus socked me in the head for being an obnoxious shit. Good times lol.

I laughed even more when Diana Ross missed the penalty in the opening ceremony.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Everyone in Australia is either a wog or a convict. Italians are the second biggest migrant group after the British though so there are plenty of us here. Of course though I always present myself as an aussie.

You're all aussies.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master

im a wog. Greek parents. I believe Melbourne has one of the largest greek populations in the world.

anyway back to football!

I laughed too when Baggio missed that penalty - but it was short lived. When Brazil started doing that stupid Bebeto dance to celebrate i felt bad for Italy.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
break out the Fosters Mot, Australia has qualified behind Japan who were the first time last week to book a place in Brazil

theMot

10 Year Member
Haha yes, unbelievable that we have now qualified for 3 world cups in a row! Don't think we'll make much noise in Rio but lets wait and see!

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Skippy the kangaroo got more chance of scoring a goal than any of your strikers put together in the world cup.

synrgy87

n00b
i'll predict the possible winners of the 2014 world cup.

Germany, Spain, Republic of Ireland

all 3 equal chances of winning it.
:lol:

theMot

10 Year Member
Skippy the kangaroo got more chance of scoring a goal than any of your strikers put together in the world cup.

True, but look at it this way. You country is football crazy and massive failures on the world stage. :D For a country that doesnt give two shits about "soccer" we go alright.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
i'll predict the possible winners of the 2014 world cup.

Germany, Spain, Republic of Ireland

all 3 equal chances of winning it.
:lol:

Shock prediction: Spain fails to make the knockout rounds of the WC.

samred007

n00b
Spain survived their Do or Die Match against France in Paris. If they lost that, They had to go through a Ply-Off !! Shame it would be ! Shame to FIFA for their awkward rules....

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The US record in Costa Rica is 0-7-1

The new stadium might change things for the US though. Level of hostility there should be much less.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
The US record in Costa Rica is 0-7-1

The new stadium might change things for the US though. Level of hostility there should be much less.

In Jurgen we trust.

Jurgen is the new Arsene.

Although getting out of there with a draw would be fantastic.

Last edited: