World Cup 2014 - Qualifiers

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
one of the most entertaining days of regular WC qualifiers that i can recall. If you missed it :

The Germans blew a 4-0 lead against Sweden. Final score 4-4. At home.

The Spanish conceded their 1-0 lead against France in the 93rd minute and drew 1-1. At home.

The Portuguese managed a 1-1 draw. Against Northern Ireland. At home.

Guatemala is 1-0 against the USA in the 5th minute. A must win US game.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Totally missed it, but I heard that the USA beat Guatemala.

The most amazing draw was Germany's. That's the kind of stuff that shows a problem is happening.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Romania 1-4 Netherlands.
Didn't think we would win.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
I watched many games yesterday.

Brazil vs Japan (friendly match) - Brazil did a great job. Kaká is playing good again.
Iran vs South Korea - I was impressed to see there was around 90k iranians at the stadium.
Sweden vs germany - Incredible match.
France vs Spain (only the last 15min) - Giroud did, in 2min, what Benzema was not able to do in 90min.
USA vs Guatemala - USA did a good job against Guatemala.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I was watching France v Spain live yesterday while keeping check of the other games. France could easily have won. Spain looked a little lethargic i thought. Ramos's goal was a fluke really. Loris is an exceptional keeper.

So i went back and watched Sweden v Germany replay. I'm convinced more than ever that Boateng and Badstuber shouldn't be playing at this level. It's not a "crisis" for Germany but they have some sorting out to do. On the flip side Zlatan was just brilliant.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was watching France v Spain live yesterday while keeping check of the other games. France could easily have won. Spain looked a little lethargic i thought. Ramos's goal was a fluke really. Loris is an exceptional keeper.

So i went back and watched Sweden v Germany replay. I'm convinced more than ever that Boateng and Badstuber shouldn't be playing at this level. It's not a "crisis" for Germany but they have some sorting out to do. On the flip side Zlatan was just brilliant.

Lloris is a good goal keeper, but he will suffer after being sold to Tottenham. Tottenham has spelled the death of just about every player's international career.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
England drew with Poland .....how bad is that personally i blame the the goal keeper,Plonker,
Germany drew the Sweden 4 - 4 ,need to see the highlights for this game at footytube.com

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
4sUU8.jpg

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Luiz Felipe Scolari set to be appointed new Brazil coach

I saw this coming over the summer. Brazil wants to have the best chance of winning 2014 - I think their best chance would be hiring Hiddink, but they always go for homegrown.

Brazil has talent at every position, but the fact is that the talent is all spread out on shitty teams owned by shitty people in other continents. We don't expect Kaka or Dani Alves to play in the next WC, but guys who are the future of the seleção, like Uvini, Lucas, Neymar, Oscar (who is only decent, not going to be a starter), and Damiao should be training together, as well as playing as much internationally. Once it was better to play in Europe, but I think the latin american leagues are better than before, and playing Argentina, Colombia, and Uruguay will be more useful on the road to the WC than playing a France in complete shambles, or a fragile Netherlands wrapped in bubblewrap, or the implosive English. Basically - I don't think a European national is taking the next WC trophy. And if Brazil wants to take it, they need to build a squad that has chemistry - not brand name recognition. So guys like Oscar, leave him off the team. Kaka? Useless. David Luiz? A miscarriage of futebol. Euro team players who I would consider for the Seleção are Ramires, Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, can't think of others.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
great post.

Hiring Scolari is their best chance but its also a huge gamble. You are right, they wont ever hire an outsider. 5 world cups with 5 brazilian coaches is what they always respond with.

I agree pretty much except with hiring Hiddink. Sure he was a messiah of sorts for Sth Korea and Australia but both those teams needed a high profile coach like him. It pains me to admit it as an Australian born but the national team couldnt even complete 3-4 passes together. Australia, before it knew how to play football ,tried to use physicality to win the ball and were usually punished on the counter. Hiddink is a master at discipline and possession and he drilled this style into them and it paid off (if you consider knocked out of the round of 16 by a dubious penalty from Italy (Totti) a success). At Russia and more recently at Turkey he wasn't so hot.

Back to Brazil, this is 2012. Theres really no place for the Joga Bonito style of play anymore. Any worthy opponent will smash that game to pieces

Oh and Id probably include Marcello in the squad if he's fit. Adriano and Hulk will be in there also.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
great post.

Hiring Scolari is their best chance but its also a huge gamble. You are right, they wont ever hire an outsider. 5 world cups with 5 brazilian coaches is what they always respond with.

I agree pretty much except with hiring Hiddink. Sure he was a messiah of sorts for Sth Korea and Australia but both those teams needed a high profile coach like him. It pains me to admit it as an Australian born but the national team couldnt even complete 3-4 passes together. Australia, before it knew how to play football ,tried to use physicality to win the ball and were usually punished on the counter. Hiddink is a master at discipline and possession and he drilled this style into them and it paid off (if you consider knocked out of the round of 16 by a dubious penalty from Italy (Totti) a success). At Russia and more recently at Turkey he wasn't so hot.

Back to Brazil, this is 2012. Theres really no place for the Joga Bonito style of play anymore. Any worthy opponent will smash that game to pieces

Oh and Id probably include Marcello in the squad if he's fit. Adriano and Hulk will be in there also.

I thought Hiddink made Russia the dark horse team of Euro 2008. I don't know why wasn't able to do more for Australia, but ou gotta admit that most of the talent was on the wrong side of 30 (Kewell, Cahill, Schwarzer). Right now, the most talented player on the team is Wilkshire, and he's not young anymore either. But the question really could be whether Hiddink was never great, but that Italy was robbed? I remember Totti furious at the loss to the Koreans. I have watched Totti play, probably more than anyone here, as a Roma fan, and he has always kept his cool. He's the epitome of professionalism. But in that game he looked like he was ready to grab a folding chair and break it over the ref's head.

Totally forgot about Marcello. That guy is a good workhorse player. He's Mourinho's type - plays dirty when you need him to, but otherwise technically sound. He would have fit great at Inter Milan.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Nah im talking about Australia v Italy in the 2006 WC (knockout game - Totti took the penalty)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_F...ersies#Italy_vs._Australia_.28Second_round.29

Sth Korea v Italy in WC2002 was a disgrace of a match (Totti was sent off). The italians were cheated out of the match. I don't think anyone can disagree, well except for Sth Korea. I felt bad for them and i never feel bad for italy

Totally forgot about Bresciano. That guy was a decent player.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Spain and Portugal were almost very armed against them. So was Turkey against Brasil.

Certainly, you'll never see a World Cup in Asia again. ( at least in two different countries at the same time ).

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Next round of these qualifiers are coming up again soon.
I hope Scotland can beat Wales to at least get some pride back :-(

Geoffry

Banned

it is very interesting match.. i saw this match...Heart break match.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Sometimes I wonder if Scotland will ever manage to qualify for a major tournament again?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

it is very interesting match.. i saw this match...Heart break match.

yeah. it ended 1-1 last year... You're watching a replay.