(stupid) questions

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've got SvC CFC Capcom and SNK in both US and UK version...
When I opened the carts, I saw both of my US versions were from April 1998.

As for my UK ones... One of them is also from April 1998, whereas the other one is from June 1998. o_O

Could it be a re-release ?
I didn't notice any difference in the game.
Is it more rare or something ?

Or does it just mean it got made a little after, and nothing else.

Last question, did SvC CFC got released first in Europe or America ?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I don't believe the dates on those things are the release dates, I think they are the dates on which those boards were produced. Because I opened quite a few of my carts to be cleaned, and I have seen a Pac-Man cart have the same date as a King of Fighters R-1 cart, or something like that. I haven't opened them in a while, but you'll see a lot of them have the same dates.

Note: My memory could be faulty.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You see, I've got my saves on my US CFC games.

I wanted to switch what's inside the carts to put them on the UK ones, then sell the US ones... Keeping my saves.

Because I thought they were exactly the same, inside the carts... Well they're the same inside the game at least, same typo errors (Fei Ling for instance), nothing changed, etc.

But now I was wondering if there was stuff, like those dates, that'd differ from each version... In which case I'd change my mind about switching the carts.

Wouldn't want to sell US carts with UK stuff in it and stuff... :|
Like... Maybe there's no "June 1998" US CFC, for instance.
See what I mean ?

Just wanted more information about that before doing anything...

bokmeow

Stifu:
You see, I've got my saves on my US CFC games.

I wanted to switch what's inside the carts to put them on the UK ones, then sell the US ones... Keeping my saves.

Because I thought they were exactly the same, inside the carts... Well they're the same inside the game at least, same typo errors (Fei Ling for instance), nothing changed, etc.

But now I was wondering if there was stuff, like those dates, that'd differ from each version... In which case I'd change my mind about switching the carts.

Wouldn't want to sell US carts with UK stuff in it and stuff... :|
Like... Maybe there's no "June 1998" US CFC, for instance.
See what I mean ?

Just wanted more information about that before doing anything...
I believe that is probably right, I just opened up mine and it also said '1998.4.9' As I said, it's probably the date on which the board for the cart were printed. The US cartridge with june on it is just going to look awfully fishy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Alright then.

Then I won't switch the carts unless it's proven there are 1998.6 US CFC.

By the way (off topic), I noticed Puzzle Bobble Jap isn't exactly the same as Puzzle Bobble Euro... o_o
To begin with the background color when you select your stage is different...

Sweater Fish Deluxe

Marked Wolf
I believe that is probably right, I just opened up mine and it also said '1998.4.9' As I said, it's probably the date on which the board for the cart were printed. The US cartridge with june on it is just going to look awfully fishy.
I can't believe it would matter. The chances that the person who buys it would ever notice is nearly nil and evn if they did notice it's even more unlikely that they'd care their cartridge was manufactured two months later. There's no difference between the UK and US Cardfighters. Don't obsess over this stuff, they're just games.

...word is bondage...

bokmeow

Sweater Fish Deluxe:
I can't believe it would matter. The chances that the person who buys it would ever notice is nearly nil and evn if they did notice it's even more unlikely that they'd care their cartridge was manufactured two months later. There's no difference between the UK and US Cardfighters. Don't obsess over this stuff, they're just games.

...word is bondage...
It is an issue because that indicates the title has been tampered with. Who knows what else happened, this photocopied, that swapped, some hack was done to it, it's a matter of honesty.

Sweater Fish Deluxe

Marked Wolf
Nah, I still don't get it. Really why would it matter? Are you telling me that a collector would have problems with something having been *PHOTOCOPIED*? You realize that's...insane, right?

Since there's nothing defective with the board that's being swapped in, I don't see how it's any different than just opening up the cartridge, taking out the board, then putting it back in and putting it back together. It's ridiculously obsessive even to the point of disorder to care about the silkscreened date on the board.

Besides, it's very unlikely that the boards manufactured in June wouldn't have been sold in the US as well as in Europe and Asia. You're worrying about this more than SNK themselves did.

<small>[ April 28, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Sweater Fish Deluxe ]</small>

bokmeow

Sweater Fish Deluxe:
Nah, I still don't get it. Really why would it matter? Are you telling me that a collector would have problems with something having been *PHOTOCOPIED*? You realize that's...insane, right?

Since there's nothing defective with the board that's being swapped in, I don't see how it's any different than just opening up the cartridge, taking out the board, then putting it back in and putting it back together. It's ridiculously obsessive even to the point of disorder to care about the silkscreened date on the board.

Besides, it's very unlikely that the boards manufactured in June wouldn't have been sold in the US as well as in Europe and Asia. You're worrying about this more than SNK themselves did.
Here's the issue. Let's say the person who did the board swap realized that the board was somewhat defective, or that it was about to die. So he swapped it into the cartridge. Is that a cool thing? No. But, that's an extreme example. To quote one of the rebuttals one of the board members said, 'You can't blame someone for getting pissed when he paid for a virgin and instead gotten a whore.' If the issue was 'as long as it works', then there would be no legal ramifications for bootlegging.

Sweater Fish Deluxe

Marked Wolf
bokmeow:
Here's the issue. Let's say the person who did the board swap realized that the board was somewhat defective, or that it was about to die. So he swapped it into the cartridge. Is that a cool thing? No. But, that's an extreme example. To quote one of the rebuttals one of the board members said, 'You can't blame someone for getting pissed when he paid for a virgin and instead gotten a whore.'
But that's not the case here, is it? The reason you don't think he should do it isn't because the board he's putting in is old or faulty (in fact, it hasn't even been played, so it's probably in even better condition than the one he's taking out), it's because it has the wrong date on it.

If the issue was 'as long as it works', then there would be no legal ramifications for bootlegging.
I don't see how that follows from this case at all. The board he's putting in isn't bootlegged, it's just from another legit cartridge.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If someone with US CFC can confirm there ARE 1998.6 versions of the game (which is pretty possible, why just in the UK and not in the US, after all ?), then I'd do it.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Stifu:
By the way (off topic), I noticed Puzzle Bobble Jap isn't exactly the same as Puzzle Bobble Euro... o_o
To begin with the background color when you select your stage is different...
Play the game in english mode, I've heared that there are some more "interesting" differences.