Console specific "I finished today" thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Another project knocked out.

The SNES Jr/mini/2 is famous for having composite only output. No RF (boohoo), no Svideo and no RGB (WTF?). However both Svideo and RGB are both easy to add back to the unit.

S-video guide:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?126959-SNES-Jr-S-Video

RGB fix guide:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:snes2rgb

Both mods are easy to do and only cost maybe $1 or $2 in parts. Basically 4 pieces of wire and 3 resistors for the RGB mod and 2 pieces of wire and 2 capacitors and 2 resistors for the S-video mod.

Here is my completed machine:

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
can we see where the ports are?

thanks

Ports?

This mod adds back the svideo and rgb functionality to the original multi av port. No need to install to connectors or anything. You can use regular snes rgb and svideo cables with this. With the exception of RF, the snes mini will have the same video capabilities as the original, larger snes. I think it actually has better video output than any of the larger snes units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You're not imagining it, the picture quality is better than an unmodified original SNES. The RGB image is a tad sharper.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
It is.

You have to lift the pins of the connector on the dreamcast and connect wires. Its a bit more work this way, but it gives you "a lot" of space to do this mod. Space that is otherwise pretty much wasted with the now useless modem.

butteroj

n00b
It is.

You have to lift the pins of the connector on the dreamcast and connect wires. Its a bit more work this way, but it gives you "a lot" of space to do this mod. Space that is otherwise pretty much wasted with the now useless modem.

Awesome! I cant wait to do this as my vga box is shot.

bochi

Cheng's Errand Boy
where can i find one of does shadows vga boards does anybody have any spare for sale?

butteroj

n00b
It is.

Awesome! I cant wait to do this as my vga box is shot.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Finalized this tonight. A/V mod to an OG Famicom.

IMAG0432_zps3bad57de.jpg

Used the transistor from the Fami itself to make the mod. I since changed it from the electrolytic cap you see in the pic to a tantalum cap(s) (32uF). Also, across pin 20 and 22, I used a 100uF cap to help filter out the jail bars.

IMAG0433_zps18ee6674.jpg

I removed components from the RF modulator, broke the original RCA connector for the RF off and replaced it with a gold RCA panel mount connector, removed the channel selector switch and used a 3.5mm jack and a 220uF cap for sound.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi guys,

I'm triying to do an internal vga mod for DC using this nicely distribution

But mi question is, do you need to lift the modem pins in the DC mother board also?

Thank you very much in advance

Saludos

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yes, you need to lift them internally as well. You will then use the lifted pins for your signals. Don't forget to lift them at the output as well and then those pins go to where the signal inputs are.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Thanks XX, at this moment I've done this:

img0866vz.jpg

img0868xb.jpg

Saludos

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Yes XX, quite sweet. I've finished the mod, I've improved a led to indicate the vga activation, a headphone output, and the composite video and stero jacks.

Saludos

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Almost three years ago (Jan 2013) I wanted to improve my soldering/dremel skills. Since I had no means to use my Neo Controllers with my PC and an old/stinky USB-pad lying around, I decided to do my first ever pad hack. I know (and knew then) that there are easier (and probably cheaper/less work intensive) ways to do this, but I really need(ed) some practice.

5czzayd.jpg

Well, I never continued past that. Until two weeks ago when I did some cleaning, found the parts and decided to finish it. I put an LED in there just for kicks (and so I can check if the pad is connected)... I wired it in a way that it only switches on when a push-button is pressed, because anything else would just annoy me.

DpySa8J.jpg

vKJzqBG.jpg

iiXbtO6.jpg

IQmU8hM.jpg

So, yeah, not really finished today but I've been busy with other stuff and didn't have the time to snap pics... at least it's recent. Also sorry for the necro bump, but I didn't find a better place for this ((I considered posting here, but this isn't Arcade stuff at all). Guess this could've gone in the old Messy Mod Work Thread as well - "Rats nest like wiring"+"Poorly drilled holes or crappy case work"+lots of dust on the PCB... I've gotten a little better, but still have a lot to learn ;)

Does it work you ask? With 0 issues. I connected the +5V so I can use Neo Pads as well. I also wired up all of the 8 buttons the PCB supports, so I can use this for 6 button sticks (+start/select) too.
YkYkY7n.jpg

Thanks to kuze for the KOF98UMFE and 2002UM steam keys and encouraging me to write this post :)

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Blue LEDs are like Xs in names, can't go wrong with them ;)
Nice padhack - have fun playing KOF!

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Very cool, xsq! Thanks for sharing the pics with us, looks great. :D

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
That is a good first time project. Seems like it turned out well. I have been wanting to make something like this for the neo games on Steam as well. Does the control using that feel responsive using the neo controller ?

xsq

I have been wanting to make something like this for the neo games on Steam as well. Does the control using that feel responsive using the neo controller ?
I haven't noticed any lag yet... but I'm not a professional by any means.
You could buy a Cthulhu or PS360 to get a converter like this going for your PC and a few consoles besides the Neo...

xsq

two more unimpressive but recent mods...

1. made the PSU I use for my supergun a little safer for home use. I know it was kinda lazy to not desolder the array but rather dremel it off and then connect the wires to the leftover "stands", but I figured I could still do that later on and I wanted to keep the black plastic part of it (for the smaller holes) so I had to dremel it anyway.

Spoiler:
[before - wtf is that white stuff?]
BScL6y9.jpg

[dremeled]
4ZzscVr.jpg

[soldered]
C07REc3.jpg

[after]
e6ozW5H.jpg

I don't know why the white stuff was on there, seems to have covered up the logo of the manufacturing company (which is on the sides of the PSU anyway, Min Gong) and the product code (MD-9916A?) over "Adjust"... maybe I got a bootleg or something is funky with the internals (most likely this is the version without the -5V, which I don't need), the thing works excellently though. When I took it off I also loosened some of the adjacent lettering, well, who cares.

2. resurrected one of my N64controllers with GCstyle replacement sticks and a board by micro (highly recommended). Still waiting on a "new version" replacement to install it (with micro's board) into another controller.
Spoiler:
XQYYDf6.jpg

ajF0zNm.jpg

NmU1TxD.jpg

Metlcub

n00b
Man these are all so nice, and All I did was a switch on my Neo CD for US/JP region mod. nice work guys.