WTB: MS8-29 chassis

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
Title says it all... must be tested working, unless the price is obscenely good.

Moarian

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uh, a MS8-29. I'm not too familiar with that problem. Is there something wrong with your monitor, maybe I can help. Which candy cab do you need this chassis for?

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
It's in an Astro City 2. There is a great deal of whine from the fly back transformer.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Seriously that sig is bigger then caldwerts pile of RGB monitors.

Now I have to design a pony club sig that's twice that size.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
Have you tried to fix the whine yourself. It will take about 5 minutes and is worth a try.

http://www.arcaderestoration.com/index.asp?OPT=3&DATA=57&CBT=24

That picture is pretty bad. I can snap a better one tonight if you wish.
Thanks! I hadn't heard that that could be done before! If you wouldn't mind snapping a picture better than the one in the link, I would appreciate it! I'll definitely try that.

That isn't a permanent solution so much as something to get rid of the awful noise for whatever life is left in the chassis, right?

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with the chassis per se. The ferrite core in the flyback worked itself loose a bit. You could replace it but there is a good chance it will happen again. Plus if its not broke then don't potentially make it worse. Squeal seems to affect a lot of these Nanaos at some point.

Like I said, its worth a try. I'll try to take a better pic when I get home early in the morning or tomorrow.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
There is nothing wrong with the chassis per se. The ferrite core in the flyback worked itself loose a bit. You could replace it but there is a good chance it will happen again. Plus if its not broke then don't potentially make it worse. Squeal seems to affect a lot of these Nanaos at some point.

Like I said, its worth a try. I'll try to take a better pic when I get home early in the morning or tomorrow.
Awesome! I'll be looking forward to is. I'm thrilled to hear it could be an easy fix!

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2h3pjbm.jpg

Hope this helps. I used a K7000 fly but it will be the same. Jam the toothpick in between the core and the sleeve.. Turn the machine on. If the resonance subsides then you can clip the toothpick closer to the fly.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
That picture is great! Thanks for the help Mitsurugi, definitely going to try this tonight!

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   1
Meant to post earlier... I got a chance to try this on Thursday night. I've run the cab for at least 3-4 hours since then, with no sign of flyback whine! :buttrock:

Previously, I'd get whine from it after between 5 and 30 minutes of being on, so I'm pretty sure this trick worked! I'm overjoyed to have saved that money on a chassis, and not have had to remove and install one. :)

Thanks again, MitsurugiW!

Dion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, man. Glad its working out for you. Pass along the knowledge.