In the Hunt, shout out

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
Any love for this great Irem shooter. I used to play this at the Cade all the time. Story goes that the team behind this became Nazca and created metal slug series before becoming part of SNK. The similarities between this and later slug games has been noted before, but this is a fantastically original shooter in its own right. Who would like to see an unofficial sequal on MVS?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yes everyone knows and loves in the hunt, we also know the ps1 port is better than the saturn version, etc

now go ahead and play gunforce 2.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
Love me some In The Hunt. I've only ever played the Saturn version. Why is the ps port better? I find that surprising as the ps1 is not overly known for having superior ports of 2D games.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's a fun little game, although the sound fx are rather annoying after a while; which is my only real gripe. It's also fairly basic in its mechanics, but that, along with the Nazca signature sprite work, all add to its charm. Overall not the greatest, but definitely above average.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
As I said in the other thread, effectively putting blood in the water and causing the sharks to swoop in and attack, I've never seen this game before! Thanks for bringing this game to my attention! Metal Slug is what really got me hooked on the arcade so to me this is freakin sweet, I'll definately keep an eye out for this board.

Is there anything else that the Nazca guys put together that has that distinctive style? It's really like nothing I've seen from any other group's sprite work.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
I recently got the PCB from a local dealer, and the artwork alone is worth this game existence. It also stands out for it's design as an underwater shooter, with its alternating scrolling patterns and pacing, which make it deadly if you try to rush it.

SSS

neo retired
Sold a pcb to a member here few years ago. Last year found a dealer selling the game in a dynamo. Made an offer for just the board and marquee and bought the game again. Now sitting in one of the mvu4's

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
Yes the slower move at your own pace gameplay and huge bosses make it classic. I admit that the sound fx can be a bit jarring, I won't leave this one plugged in with the sound up for long. Maybe not the greatest game but a real gem for slug fans and under rated. A neo sequal would be amazing.

irvsmoot

Cheng's Errand Boy
Love me some In The Hunt. I've only ever played the Saturn version. Why is the ps port better? I find that surprising as the ps1 is not overly known for having superior ports of 2D games.

I'm curious as well, what are the differences?

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
The Saturn port is plagued with tons of slow down. It's almost unplayable at points.

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have both Saturn & PSOne ports. I think Saturn port is alright....not that bad.

That's a shame. Guess I'll keep an eye out for the PS port.

I'm curious as well, what are the differences?

I have the Saturn version, and the PSone port is superior to the Saturn port because it doesn't have any slowdown. The slowdown in the Saturn port is most noticeable when two people are playing. It's a fun game, but if you have a choice pick up the PSone port. The graphics are virtually identical between the two ports. The Saturn is no whimp when it comes to 2D, but it usually comes down to the software house doing the porting. I may pick up a PS console just for the game. I like it that much.

Last edited:

Mero

New Challenger
Great game, the PS version is a great port too. Pretty sure it has a bit less slowdown than the PCB (very little iirc). Well worth picking up.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Great game, I have it on my Saturn and its well worth picking up :)

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I have the saturn port. Perhaps I never knew the game any differently therefore I do not have a critical eye in regards to slowdown. Lots of games have slowdown, in some ways it only is noticeable if you focus on it. A classic example to me is Super Ghouls and Ghosts for SNES. Not to derail the conversation into talking about general slowdown... I just don't think it affects the playability of the game so much as some might claim. Now, Shock Troopers 2 on the other hand....!

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
I have the PSone port and I can't say I enjoyed it much. It's not only the slowdowns, it's just too slow..

mr.2jz

n00b
I have the Saturn copy as well. There are times of slowdown with too many sprites on screen, and 2nd player seems to irritate that issue.

I still enjoy the game and come back to it often. Nice switch from the usual outer space shooter theme, to a new one.

Is the issue with slowdown a RAM issue, or more so the dual Hitachi CPU's? I've read the Saturn, while very strong in 2D, was a nightmare to code for. I guess writing threaded apps in assembler back then was much more complex. Or developers didn't have the time to spend learning the tools, and were forced by management to push out titles asap. If the case, it's similar to what we see today.

Elder

NEST Puppet
I too am a big fan of In the Hunt. I've had the Saturn version for years myself, and while there's a bunch of slowdown, I just really love the setting and art style. Really fun game that I return to often.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I've been wanting to pick this up FOREVER. Haven"t so far....I try to buy on forums more than on eBay, but its day will come, I suppose. :)
Anyway, I'll still try to get my hands on the Saturn version simply because it's more of a shmup console to me. I don't even have an arcade stick for the PSX.
The game looks amazing at any rate, and its art style is so close to "Metal Slug"....that's nice!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I've never played it but pretty interested in scooping it up now.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I have the PSone port and I can't say I enjoyed it much. It's not only the slowdowns, it's just too slow..

I agree. The pace of the game really turns me off. Otherwise it's pretty top notch with some stellar Metal Sluq-esque art.