Sound Issue w/Sengoku 3 MVS

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Got a broken cart that plays screeching sounds and beeps when music and FX are supposed to.

Weird thing is that I first pulled the M1 and it looks like it's blank, the buffer was just filled FF. So I burn a new one with the MAME dump and still no sound and the same beeps/screeching.

Haven't pulled the V roms yet, I'll see if I can probe them.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi XX,

I don't remember if the M1 in sengoku3 is encrypted, please let me assure.

Un saludo

PD: M1 is not encrypted. So the problem could be the V roms.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Its on an FIO board isnt it? Is it the same ROM used in MAME for that M1 or is it moddified?

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
hey Xian, on that Pop and Bounce cart that was giving me trouble ages ago I had to replace the M1 + one of the V roms before it started working normally - it did the same screeching sound on bootup, tis totally fine now...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hi XX,

I don't remember if the M1 in sengoku3 is encrypted, please let me assure.

Un saludo

PD: M1 is not encrypted. So the problem could be the V roms.

Ya, I know it's one of them now. Thanks.

Its on an FIO board isnt it? Is it the same ROM used in MAME for that M1 or is it moddified?

Yes, it's the dreaded FIO, luckily it's only the M1..lol

The mask rom from the cart was reading as blank almost. The MAME one you can tell has way more data. I did notice that with the MAME M1 rom that the sound effects are muffled where the mask rom was just a small beep.

hey Xian, on that Pop and Bounce cart that was giving me trouble ages ago I had to replace the M1 + one of the V roms before it started working normally - it did the same screeching sound on bootup, tis totally fine now...

I still have to probe it, hopefully the probe shows something obvious.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Yeah bitch of a board. I tried using a hot air gun to remove chips from an LBA i had here and it worked very well, i didnt even use the desoldering tool. I reckon if you desolder first and then hot air gun itll be a piece of piss to remove chips from the FIO ;)

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi XX,

You have an additional problem, sengoku 3 has 3 32 mb V roms and one 16 mb, if one of the 32 mb has the problem the solution is to use one eeprom instead the mask rom.

Saludos

mikey

Marked Wolf
Sorry to bump an old thread, but did this ever get solved? I've got a Sengoku 3 with identical symptoms

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Sorry to bump an old thread, but did this ever get solved? I've got a Sengoku 3 with identical symptoms

Read the thread, the problem was with the M1 and one of the V chips.

Regards.