New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I wish everyone would stop complaining about the horizontal issue and just let the rest of us have this game. I'm glad that for the most part NGDev seems to ignore the annoying questions that get posted here. It must already be enough work developing a game and then to have all the complaints on top of it might be a bit demoralizing.

I use my MVS as a console and I have an old 13" TV that doesn't have any problem being rotated on its side. Maybe it's because it has a built-in VCR and there is shielding or something. I use that setup for all my tate boards including DDP Bee Storm for the PGM. I always wished someone would make a game like that for MVS.

Those who want to play this game will find a way to deal with it. If not, skip this one. Programming a rotated mode would take so much extra time and memory that is much better used on adding more stages and modes.

imagine SNK back in the days, in a press communicate:

"hey you morons, next Blazing Star will be TAT(u)E only, and you need to rotate the tv in order to play it,
you cant? dont complain and fuck you all,

best regards
SNK "

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Quick question for NG : Dev: How much is this game going to play like XYX? I downloaded the demo and it's brilliant, but unbelievably hard. Just wondering. In the demo you showed it looks like you've removed the move-you-back-if-you-die logic. Much welcomed, because otherwise I don't know if I'm up to the challenge ;)

After playing that XYX demo, though, I'm psyched for this release.

T. J.エs shanty

Zero's Secretary
In the demo you showed it looks like you've removed the move-you-back-if-you-die logic. Much welcomed, because otherwise I don't know if I'm up to the challenge ;)

You can turn checkpoints on/off in the options menu of the xyx demo!

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
You can turn checkpoints on/off in the options menu of the xyx demo!

Awesome, thanks. I also see you can run it in boxed-horizontal mode there too. This game is great. I'm not much better with checkpoints turned off, but I'm having more fun dying now ;)

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
^
Sorry to disturb you.

Congratulations also, as I imagine this game will be glorious on that 13" TV you have flipped on it's side.

:lol: just lay your MVS on its side and play sideways! It's more hardcore.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I've been playing it tonight in vertical-mode, turned horizontal with the controls setup for horizontal. Sure, I don't have the score or lives in the right place, but the game is totally playable and after a few games I hardly even noticed. If anyone is interested as to how this might play on the Neo in horizontal, download the XYX demo, set the screen rotate to 270, and the controls to UP(right), DOWN(left), RIGHT(down), LEFT(up) and give it a go.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

"hey you morons, next Blazing Star will be TAT(u)E only, and you need to rotate the tv in order to play it,

best regards
SNK "
No, because this isn't SNK. It's an indie-developed game after the console's time.

There were many Neo games that were just for the arcade market. They could have easily developed a cart that was intended just for 1-slots in horizontal cabs. Then us AES owners who have some kind of tate setup at home could've converted it. Fortunately NGDev is giving us the option to have it on AES.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

best regards
SNK "

I know! The audacity! An independent developer building a game that appeals to people other then @Alaska-! And doing it with an established property that has always been a horizontal shoo... Oh wait..

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
Quick question for NG : Dev: How much is this game going to play like XYX? I downloaded the demo and it's brilliant, but unbelievably hard. Just wondering. In the demo you showed it looks like you've removed the move-you-back-if-you-die logic. Much welcomed, because otherwise I don't know if I'm up to the challenge ;)

After playing that XYX demo, though, I'm psyched for this release.

No checkpoints!

They are pretty much completely different games. They don't play much like each other. Graphics, enemy concepts and some bullet patterns are similar though. XYX is 1989/1990 old school, NEO XYX is 1993-1994 mid-school ;)

But you are right, it plays fine in hori mode too. No need to worry about not being able to play it in a Big Red...it just requires a few minutes of getting used too. Anyone remember Uridium? That one was a vert running in hori too and it plays fine.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
No, because this isn't SNK. It's an indie-developed game after the console's time.

There were many Neo games that were just for the arcade market. They could have easily developed a cart that was intended just for 1-slots in horizontal cabs. Then us AES owners who have some kind of tate setup at home could've converted it. Fortunately NGDev is giving us the option to have it on AES.

Not in this world.
The yoko stuff is in the Neogeo's dna. It's intended to give everyone, i mean, EVERYONE, and this include the sweat grandma with her candy shop around the corner down in the neighborough, the chance to manage a cab and let, let's say, the children play.

it's so fucking powerful as idea, that stand still even nowdays:
2-21.jpg

2-22.jpg

2-23.jpg

(hey looks like the granny rotated her cab to let them play sonic wing properly ;) )

They could have easily developed a cart that was intended just for 1-slots in vertical cabs
but it's not the F. NeoGeo idea...
let alone the mere fact that there's no way you spend 35000 yen for a cart/games that force you to rotate your tv at home, back in the days,
this is nowdays enthusiast shit, which i can understand and could approve, but
c'mon, imagine a children doing that, and then the parents sue SNK for injuries
Neo Geo is yoko, get over it.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Not in this world.
The yoko stuff is in the Neogeo's dna. It's intended to give everyone, i mean, EVERYONE, and this include the sweat grandma with her candy shop around the corner down in the neighborough, the chance to manage a cab and let, let's say, the children play.

it's so fucking powerful as idea, that stand still even nowdays:
2-21.jpg

2-22.jpg

2-23.jpg

(hey looks like the granny rotated her cab to let them play sonic wing properly ;) )

They could have easily developed a cart that was intended just for 1-slots in vertical cabs
but it's not the F. NeoGeo idea...
let alone the mere fact that there's no way you spend 35000 yen for a cart/games that force you to rotate your tv at home, back in the days,
this is nowdays enthusiast shit, which i can understand and could approve, but
c'mon, imagine a children doing that, and then the parents sue SNK for injuries
Neo Geo is yoko, get over it.

Are you even going to buy the game? If not, why are you being such a pain in the ass about it? You're acting like a baby.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Are you even going to buy the game? If not, why are you being such a pain in the ass about it? You're acting like a baby.

As i said, yes i'm going to buy it (not that if i'm not buying it, i have no patent to discuss things. just to clarify)
The games look really good; still too european for my taste, but less doujin then the lazy japanese ones released these days, with all that great works on bitmap grapichs (which japanese doujin miss quite often, i mean, it's not Crimzon Clover every day *__*U). Dreamcast version of course, if it eventually come out, as i expect it will have a yoko option for sure. I'm not going to rotate my 29" just to play one single game honestly.

See, if this was a indie game developed for a custom jamma pcb, you couldn't complain or better, say anything, because either way, you need to rotate your candy monitor like operator used to do for setup, let's say, a dodonpachi, or your tv, if you were using a supergun.
It's you using a game not intended to be play'd on tv screen so you have to deal with it.
But this is NeoGeo and there's a philosophy behind, you liking it or not.
That's all i was trying to explain about it; it's not a good argument saying you're gonna play on a ipod nano like-screen, then, there's no problem in rotating stuff. :shame:
Also i was just sarcastic. If i got someone offended, by any chance, i apologiez.

But, i'm finding amusing that every time one point something out, people jump in crying and acting like someone is trying to steal candys off their hand.
Everyone will get their games eventually, and will be happy with them. We know how it works; it's not like it needs to be a masterpiece in order to sell and make people happy. Also, it would require a lot of work to be polished and "good" like most of the Neogeo games of the golden era. So we must just applaude ng:dev for bringing back to life the system
but, unless i'm misreading forums, this is not the sale section, so the thread is for discussing things and announcements.
It's just that. So what's the problem?

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
As i said, yes i'm going to buy it (not that if i'm not buying it, i have no patent to discuss things. just to clarify)
The games look really good; still too european for my taste, but less doujin then the lazy japanese ones released these days, with all that great works on bitmap grapichs (which japanese doujin miss quite often, i mean, it's not Crimzon Clover every day *__*U). Dreamcast version of course, if it eventually come out, as i expect it will have a yoko option for sure. I'm not going to rotate my 29" just to play one single game honestly.

See, if this was a indie game developed for a custom jamma pcb, you couldn't complain or better, say anything, because either way, you need to rotate your candy monitor like operator used to do for setup, let's say, a dodonpachi, or your tv, if you were using a supergun.
It's you using a game not intended to be play'd on tv screen so you have to deal with it.
But this is NeoGeo and there's a philosophy behind, you liking it or not.
That's all i was trying to explain about it; it's not a good argument saying you're gonna play on a ipod nano like-screen, then, there's no problem in rotating stuff. :shame:
Also i was just sarcastic. If i got someone offended, by any chance, i apologiez.

But, i'm finding amusing that every time one point something out, people jump in crying and acting like someone is trying to steal candys off their hand.
Everyone will get their games eventually, and will be happy with them. We know how it works; it's not like it needs to be a masterpiece in order to sell and make people happy. Also, it would require a lot of work to be polished and "good" like most of the Neogeo games of the golden era. So we must just applaude ng:dev for bringing back to life the system
but, unless i'm misreading forums, this is not the sale section, so the thread is for discussing things and announcements.
It's just that. So what's the problem?

Yeah, but you've already said all of this over and over again and nobody seems to give a shit but you, so I think we're all good for the topic.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Yeah, but you've already said all of this over and over again and nobody seems to give a shit but you, so I think we're all good for the topic.

Just because you don't like what you hear does not mean it shouldn't be said. What authority do you have? You can't always have sunshine blown up your ass; things don't work that way. Also, I would think twice before taking the liberty of speaking for everyone again because in fact, we are NOT all good on the topic. I am a big supporter of NG: DEV's efforts and I appreciate the work they do in helping to keep the Neo alive and relevant but that does not mean they should be immune to criticism. @Alaska has brought up some good points, and what's wrong with that? Of course, other than the fact you don't agree with them. BTW, I have all of their MVS releases and I plan on buying this game as well. I only mention that because it appears (according to you anyways) that only those dipping into their pockets should make comments here. Now that we have that out of the way I can say that I don't think the TATE format belongs on the Neo. I also don't think that having the option to play it horizontally will make up for that. If a game is designed to be played vertically, flipping it to horizontal makes it inferior IMO. With that said, it still looks like a great game and I can't wait to play it, even if I have to play it the wrong way.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just because you don't like what you hear does not mean it shouldn't be said. What authority do you have?

Just because you don't like how a game is made, doesn't mean it shouldn't be made. What authority do you have?

:p

I don't think the argument that a neo geo vertical shooter is unorthodox and may alienate many is the problem here pipes, that's obvious. It's the fact that alaska is ranting about it as if it is anathema for an independent development team to use a no longer widely utilized hardware in a way that it has never been used before. The Neo Puritanism is great and all but sweaty grannies in candy shops are NOT going to be buying this game.

Imagine for a moment that there WAS no Neo Xyx, would that really be preferable? NGdev is certainly not beyond reproach, but beggars can't be emperors, and without them we'd s--- outta luck on good new Neo content. Also, since none of us over here arguing were even INVOLVED in the creative and technical effort required to make a game where previously there was no game, make it out of literally nothing, then I'm pretty sure that NGdev reserves the right to tell us to get bent. They made the game the way they wanted to, sadly we can't always have sunshine blown.. well you get my point.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Just because you don't like what you hear does not mean it shouldn't be said. What authority do you have? You can't always have sunshine blown up your ass; things don't work that way. Also, I would think twice before taking the liberty of speaking for everyone again because in fact, we are NOT all good on the topic. I am a big supporter of NG: DEV's efforts and I appreciate the work they do in helping to keep the Neo alive and relevant but that does not mean they should be immune to criticism. @Alaska has brought up some good points, and what's wrong with that? Of course, other than the fact you don't agree with them. BTW, I have all of their MVS releases and I plan on buying this game as well. I only mention that because it appears (according to you anyways) that only those dipping into their pockets should make comments here. Now that we have that out of the way I can say that I don't think the TATE format belongs on the Neo. I also don't think that having the option to play it horizontally will make up for that. If a game is designed to be played vertically, flipping it to horizontal makes it inferior IMO. With that said, it still looks like a great game and I can't wait to play it, even if I have to play it the wrong way.

LOL, whatever pipes. Don't like it, don't buy it. Why do they need to cater the game just to you? Seriously, speak with your wallet. If they get shit for sales because of it, then they likely won't make another vert-game, right? In the mean time, the game is vertical with the ability to be played in horizontal mode. So what is the fucking problem anyway?

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If the neo hardware cannot do rotation like the SNES does, wouldn't it mean that NG: DEV would have to program in the graphics data twice-once in yoko format and once in tate format?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If the neo hardware cannot do rotation like the SNES does, wouldn't it mean that NG: DEV would have to program in the graphics data twice-once in yoko format and once in tate format?

Right now they've said they've programmed the controls and the FIX layer of graphics to work correctly in horizontal. The picture stays as is and it will turn the vert shooter into a horizontal one. Only thing that will rotate would be the score/lives/etc display and the controls. There is a demo of XYX out there that this game is based on. You can set the game up to play similar to that and give it a go. It's completely playable and really isn't an issue at all.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
I don't know, if no Dreamcast version surfaces I may consider it; but I have a Dreamcast in my TATE setup; but I don't want to swap my CMVS into the TATE setup for just 1 game; so I'd much rather get a Dreamcast version(and the $ savings doesn't hurt either). Come on NGDT, Dreamcast version!

-D-

Zero's Secretary
No checkpoints!

They are pretty much completely different games. They don't play much like each other. Graphics, enemy concepts and some bullet patterns are similar though. XYX is 1989/1990 old school, NEO XYX is 1993-1994 mid-school ;)

But you are right, it plays fine in hori mode too. No need to worry about not being able to play it in a Big Red...it just requires a few minutes of getting used too. Anyone remember Uridium? That one was a vert running in hori too and it plays fine.

Wow, surprised to see a mention of Uridium in there. I played that game to death back in the late 80's. Strangely enough, I'm in North America. Not many people here had a C64 to begin with, and Uridium was a tad obscure in it's library. Really great game for it's time!

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I don't think the argument that a neo geo vertical shooter is unorthodox and may alienate many is the problem here pipes, that's obvious. It's the fact that alaska is ranting about it as if it is anathema for an independent development team to use a no longer widely utilized hardware in a way that it has never been used before. The Neo Puritanism is great and all but sweaty grannies in candy shops are NOT going to be buying this game.

Imagine for a moment that there WAS no Neo Xyx, would that really be preferable? NGdev is certainly not beyond reproach, but beggars can't be emperors, and without them we'd s--- outta luck on good new Neo content. Also, since none of us over here arguing were even INVOLVED in the creative and technical effort required to make a game where previously there was no game, make it out of literally nothing, then I'm pretty sure that NGdev reserves the right to tell us to get bent. They made the game the way they wanted to, sadly we can't always have sunshine blown.. well you get my point.

The granny stuff was just to explain to the guys who believe no tate games came out on the Neo was a fact of coincidence
he clearly doesn't have the whole picture of it, neither i am a sort of terrorist or something
just giving some nice pics maybe not widely known as you always get the idea cabs are for tough people,
but that was the NeoGeo market too

if you see me ranting, tbh i can't do anything for that, is just you
i'm all up for having the game in a way or another
i just don't like the idea that whatever game >> no game
it's not a good mentality
you're dying to buy something my friend, whatever it is: :shame:

i'd rather prefer to point out that having no tate mode could be a problem, for someone
it was a suggestion, and i guess this should be the meaning of this thread
i have not kidnapped ng.dev to make the game I want
nor i have the power to change their mind just posting
so EVENTUALLY, you wil get THEIR
don't worry
the rest of us will still buying the dc version and will be happy with that (if no tate mode come out)

missing the opportunity to let the dev know our needs would be a shame in my opinion
with them pulling something out of this or not, that's it

again, sorry to disturb you (cit) :spock:

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Fuck the whiners. I have a Neo Geo cabinet with a rotatable monitor.

Oh yeah, guess you horizontal neo purists forgot to mention that.

Neo 25, Neo 29, and Super Neo 29's all official SNK designed Neo Geo products have rotatable screens.

As for the game, looks very Toaplan-ish graphics wise. See one Dogyuun for comparison. Huge fan of that art style.

Last edited:

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
I don't know, if no Dreamcast version surfaces I may consider it; but I have a Dreamcast in my TATE setup; but I don't want to swap my CMVS into the TATE setup for just 1 game; so I'd much rather get a Dreamcast version(and the $ savings doesn't hurt either). Come on NGDT, Dreamcast version!

Agreed.
But hey, explain me about this "TATE setup" thing. How do I know if my dreamcast is configured in that way?