New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

T. J.エs shanty

Zero's Secretary
I checked with my cart (AES) and there is no such bug with me. Just tried in tate mode, do you play yoko?
By the way, nice to see some else plays this great game. IMO the best effort in the NGDEV library so far.

Yeah, its a great little game that could have used a little bit more work (Why is there an intro but no ending...even after a 1CC?) I am playing in tate mode, too, and just tested again: Started training mode and immediately camped in that infamous safe spot in the upper left corner of stage 1. This time it crashed right before the midboss...

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Im jealous of you AES folks, it looks real cool with all the goodies. I would say XYX is my favorite NGDev game so far. That said, playing this in a cab with a vertical screen is awesome, so maybe theres something to be said about the MVS version. :D

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
How much did the mvs version retail?
The link on their site is gone :( and I am curious

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Yeah, its a great little game that could have used a little bit more work (Why is there an intro but no ending...even after a 1CC?) I am playing in tate mode, too, and just tested again: Started training mode and immediately camped in that infamous safe spot in the upper left corner of stage 1. This time it crashed right before the midboss...

I'll check that safe spot again tomorrow night.
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed too about the mediocre intro and the non-existent ending. Would habe been easy to add in some (good) story. But after all it's a score-shooter. Just remember Blazing Star. There was a dull wall of text in the end. Not much better than Neo XYX.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Actually for Blazing Star there are quite a bit of stuff that isn't normally viewable.Blazing Star-3a.jpg
Blazing Star-3b.jpg
Blazing Star-3c.jpg

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Guess this is from some SNK mook with extended story telling for each character. However, it's not in the game.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's supposed to be the cutscene dialogues in-between stages (I'm guessing like Aero Fighters 2) and personalized endings that were omitted in the final product. Don't worry about the translations, it's not anything RPG worthy.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Uncovered...

no translation=useless.

That's not an argument... think of all those fan-translations without that we could never enjoy, let's say Policenauts. I think you'll agree...

Actually for Blazing Star there are quite a bit of stuff that isn't normally viewable.

That is an excellent post. There was a small discussion on Fran's wonderful & unmachable "1992 - 2004" blog over in the Lil' Italy forum, on how to explain this particular Blazing Star ending:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?149794-1992-2004/page54

(see post#1348 and the following)

A friend of mine discovered the video and asked Gemant about it. After a thorough research he suggested, that the images seen in the background are edited in the original ending. But this is how it could have been looking... a sort of special ending for a 1cc. Still, as it stands, it's just fan made...

Now, it seems, we know where these images came from... Big-up to Gemant on this one, since he figured it out in the first place ;).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That's not an argument... think of all those fan-translations without that we could never enjoy, let's say Policenauts. I think you'll agree...
sure sure. I only wanted to say it's useless for me personally.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

That is an excellent post. There was a small discussion on Fran's wonderful & unmachable "1992 - 2004" blog over in the Lil' Italy forum, on how to explain this particular Blazing Star ending:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?149794-1992-2004/page54

(see post#1348 and the following)

A friend of mine discovered the video and asked Gemant about it. After a thorough research he suggested, that the images seen in the background are edited in the original ending. But this is how it could have been looking... a sort of special ending for a 1cc. Still, as it stands, it's just fan made...

Now, it seems, we know where these images came from... Big-up to Gemant on this one, since he figured it out in the first place ;).

Interesting video. Looks like they either ripped the images from that article for the ending ED, or maybe it's somewhere in the game that's only found by debug BIOS? Awesome score though.

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Just tried to run the MVS version in my 2 slot which has Unibios 3.2 installed.

It's frozen on "Please Wait" and won't progress further. Any ideas or settings you've found unstable that might cause this?

Works fine in my Omega, and every other NG games works fine in my 2 slot MVS. I'm stumped. Neo XYX just doesn't work in the 2 slot MVS.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Just tried to run the MVS version in my 2 slot which has Unibios 3.2 installed.

It's frozen on "Please Wait" and won't progress further. Any ideas or settings you've found unstable that might cause this?

Works fine in my Omega, and every other NG games works fine in my 2 slot MVS. I'm stumped. Neo XYX just doesn't work in the 2 slot MVS.

At least you're not the only one. My Neo XYX MVS cart has been updated to the newest revision (v1.3), and for the god damn life of me, I cannot get it to boot up in my 6 slot big red cab. It works flawlessly on my Pranslation MVS->AES converter for the AES console, not one problem at all. I stick it in the big red 6 slot cab, and all I can get is a black screen, and when I put quarters in, it makes the noise like it knows that I am feeding it credits, but I get no screen and it will not work. Strangely, in the damn software menu, it does show the game on slot 1, or slot 2 whichever I have it in, and it allows me to change the settings, but when I leave that menu, the game will not start, it just goes right back to a black screen. I cannot recall what other NGDevTeam games do this on my big red cab, but I think Gunlord did this also. Every single "classic" NeoGeo game works fine in my big red, so I know it is not the cab at fault, in fact the cab is brand new condition and was used a handful of times in the past 25 years, it is the newest cab I have ever bought, so by all means if all 6 slots work with NAM75, Magician Lord, Ninja Combat, The Super Spy, Sengoku, Metal Slug, Ninja Masters, Pulstar, Blazing Star, KOF2K3, SVC Chaos, 8 Man, Samurai Shodown 1-4, LOSJ, Real Bout 2, Shock Troopers, Over Top, and about 30 other carts I own, then by all means these NGDevTeam carts should work fine also, yet they do not, at least not the ones I have tried, and ALL of my NG DevTeam carts have been successfully updated to the latest revisions, and test out perfectly all the way through using a converter on my AES, so what the fuck gives?

@vincewy Do not bother waiting for a re-release of Neo XYX. NGDevTeam have confirmed that there will be NO Re-Release of this particular game, so whomever bought their carts, be thankful you own it, as there are no more in production, and none will be made again. They WILL make a re-release of Fast Striker, and Razion, as those use the same boards. They will re-release Gunlord and Pink Bullets, as those use the same boards also. They will not tell me WHY they are not going to re-release XYX, but I have a feeling it is due to particular bugs they cannot figure out, (like why it wont boot on my 6 slot big red), and I do think it uses a smaller meg size cart boards unlike the others, so they cant release 2 carts using the same boards, so it would cost them more to make boards just for XYX, and lastly I think it is due to the game having too little of fan interest in it to warrant a re-release.

This is all speculation, but, I have been talking with them, a LOT as of late, and I have huge emails saved with gobs of information about their releases, and a lot of insight into what they are making next, what might be coming soon after that, when the next pre-order hits (hint-get fucking ready like soon), why they are done with XYX, yada yada yada. So even though they won't tell me why they won't re-release XYX, I think it is pretty clear.... not enough interest from the buyers to warrant making special boards just for that game as it will cost more than its worth since not many will sell. They did confirm with me though that they WILL come forward and tell everyone why Neo XYX will never get re-released, but in due time, not right now, which I find quite odd. Oh, and I am not using a unibios in my big red cab, it is using the normal bios.

They replied to me today, and this is what they said about using this game in a multislot cab:

"We don't really support 6 slots. Those are extremely unreliable.
If I remember correctly the games with the big old PCB worked in one of the 6 slots revisions (a customer lend us his version to test).
NEO XYX was designed as a tate title and thus was meant for single slots.
On multi slots it's best to remove all other games though and then test combinations that work.
Software updates unfortunately can't help here.
You could put a good stereo 1 slot in your 6 slot cabinet though. Some 4 slots work too. At least ours does.
- Timm"

So basically I now need to buy an extra one slot board to put inside my 6 slot cab, just to play their MVS games? So much for that, this is why I use my Pranslation Converter on my AES for these games. This is kind of depressing, but it is what it is. Funny enough, my Knights Chance MVS cart works fine in my Big Red in every slot... so much for it being "extremely unreliable". I love NGDevTeams games, but the fact that they don't cover all the bases to make sure that their games work 100% on all MVS boards before release is bullshit. Very disappointing IMO.

EDIT: After doing some testing, I have found out something interesting, but kinda sad at the same time. After fooling around and trying to get the NGDevTeam games to work on my 6 Slot Big Red cab, I basically took my gunlord out of the wooden shell, and placed the boards inside a spare MVS plastic shell for testing. I found out that the game ill go to a BSOD everytime, no matter what configuration I use if there are any other games in the cab. However, if Gunlord is the only game in the cab, it works on all 6 slots, every single time. I then decided to put Metal Slug in there, and every time the MVS is turned back on, it boots to Metal Slug no matter what the configuration seems to be, then after Metal Slug loads, I try to use the select game button and I get the BSOD, every single time. Gunlord will work on the multiple slot boards, but, it must be the only cart in the cab at all times or it will not boot, (at least not for me so far).

Then I took out all the games and tested out Neo XYX again, and now the game is working just fine, and it works in every single slot as well. But, if I stick just one game in there of any kind, anywhere, I get the same results as Gunlord. Plus, the screen was stuck in TATE mode on the cab, which is pointless if you just are using a normal big red cab. I also find it strange that I cannot use the button to go to the debug settings menu to change options with the game, as it acts like it is just giving the game credits instead. However, if I place Metal Slug back in there, then I can access the menu using that game, and change the settings from there, but when I exit the menu, the damn thing will BSOD again when I choose the NGDevTeam game. Thankfully, after changing the settings to hori mode, and then turning off the cab, removing Metal Slug, and then turning the cab back on, the game then boots and it is now playable in a normal hori mode for the big red cab to play. :) So in the end the 6 slot cab IS able to play the NGDevTeam games, just not more than one cart at a time which is pointless for someone that has a business and wants to use their games in a multi slot cab to make a few coins. For the rest of us, at least they DO play on the cabs, so yay for that.

So if anyone can find a way to actually play the NGDevTeam games in a 6 slot cab with more than just that one game in it, please do let me know how you manage to do it. Oh and I also tested my Razion and Fast Striker, and those also work in the 6 slot cab...but only if played 1 cart at a time, so far that I have noticed anyway, (it's been a loooong day). I think Pink Bullets also worked, but I'm sleepy so I might be wrong. lol I will test more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Uberarcade

n00b
I have a two slot cabinet and I have had similar issues with running a NG Dev game with another game in there. I found only two games that work so far. Magical Drop II and Bust a Move. I didn't test every game I own, but I tested several then got tired of messing with it. I have Fast Striker, Razion, and Gunlord. They all behave differently too.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
This is all speculation, but, I have been talking with them, a LOT as of late, and I have huge emails saved with gobs of information about their releases, and a lot of insight into what they are making next, what might be coming soon after that, when the next pre-order hits (hint-get fucking ready like soon)

Care to elaborate? :D