New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Welll, apparently not the vertical ones, now. :kekeke:

My question was more along the lines of: In OTHER cabs, what do you do to play vert games?

I don't. I have one cab that's capable of playing vertical shooters but I refuse to go through the hassle of rotating back and forth so I don't bother with them. I love Cave games but the only ones I own are Deathsmiles and Progear for that reason.

My question was geared more towards those who don't play their Neo games in a candy cab and don't have the option of rotating their monitor. The game may be just fine that way, I don't know. I was just asking for opinions. I didn't want to start any drama over this.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Comes with goodies and a shockbox.

In the past there were versions for arcade operators (use the coin acceptance feature) and home MVS (don't). This one seems to be the "takes coins" version.

Oh, good point. I definitely want a coin-op version and not a home version. Will have to email to get clarification before ordering.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I don't. I have one cab that's capable of playing vertical shooters but I refuse to go through the hassle of rotating back and forth so I don't bother with them. I love Cave games but the only ones I own are Deathsmiles and Progear for that reason.

My question was geared more towards those who don't play their Neo games in a candy cab and don't have the option of rotating their monitor. The game may be just fine that way, I don't know. I was just asking for opinions. I didn't want to start any drama over this.

I play neo games in a neo candy. I can't go vertical easily, and I don't care. I'll just play it in horizontal mode. The borders don't bother me, as Strikers 1945 Plus plays fine and the setup doesn't bug me one bit.

Edit: Who's to say it will even have borders? They may just scale the screen or do some trickery in the code to get it to fit correctly in either mode. I wouldn't really worry about it, and if you buy it and can't stand the setup, we've already seen these games command their retail value back on the secondary market long after release. I don't think it will be a problem unloading it.

Last edited:

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
It could also just be a horizontal shmup with corrected joystick input in Yoko mode.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member

I don't think any drama was started.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
200 euros on a cartridge only release would be more than fine. 400 euros is just too much.

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
I wouldn't mind having a bit of clarification on that by NG: Dev.

Crossposting from Shmups.com:

Currently it plays only as tate. But it's possible to rotate controls. Which works surprisingly well!
Whether there will be a letterbox tate vert mode or not hasn't been decided yet. But the NEOGEO can't rotate sprites so it will be a little bit difficult to pull off. We basically would need to program the game twice* and need to rotate and scale all graphics.

*=exaggeration

Added infos:

The HUD, title screen, logos etc. rotates with it. It plays more or less like a hori in YOKO mode. There will be pictures of both mode down the line.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
200 euros on a cartridge only release would be more than fine. 400 euros is just too much.

Probably isn't going to be that low, mainly because the non-LE MVS version of Gunlord was sitting at 350, wasn't it? Not to mention that if they decided to do one for 200 euro, people would bitch and say they'd buy it if it were only at 100 euro or something. Basically, small dev team, small runs, high price. They're not being made for mass consumption. That's what the Dreamcast versions are for. These are expensive carts due to what it takes to make them, and factoring in the cost of development and paying the guys who do all the work at NG:Dev. They may be pricey, but these are very small runs of games by a very small team.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Currently it plays only as tate. But it's possible to rotate controls. Which works surprisingly well!
Whether there will be a letterbox tate vert mode or not hasn't been decided yet. But the NEOGEO can't rotate sprites so it will be a little bit difficult to pull off. We basically would need to program the game twice* and need to rotate and scale all graphics.

*=exaggeration

Added infos:

The HUD, title screen, logos etc. rotates with it. It plays more or less like a hori in YOKO mode. There will be pictures of both mode down the line.

Rotate the fix layer.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

*=exaggeration

Added infos:

Cool, well as long as you're thinking about it now ;) Personally speaking, I think it would be nice to have a true horizontal mode, even if done with borders to offset the screen. Could just be a dip setting, and if the screen isn't full, I doubt many would mind. Of course, I could be way off. Either way, this sounds great, and definitely can't wait to hear and see more.

aria

Former Moderator
I bet some of the guys here in the MN scene are going to be excited to hear about this.

I wish I could get into those games. Tate or t.A.T.u. All the things she said. Runnin' through my head.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Hope these games are put onto cards to play on the neo geo X :P

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Looks as if you guys improved the colour palette. Nice. Can't wait to see a higher quality video ... or ... better yet, play the game myself.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
tate is not the NeoGeo nature

but much important:
what's the problem with all that green? P_____P

it's everywhereeee

Serious question:
what's the 40euros payment for?
DD contents?

Last edited:

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Probably isn't going to be that low, mainly because the non-LE MVS version of Gunlord was sitting at 350, wasn't it? Not to mention that if they decided to do one for 200 euro, people would bitch and say they'd buy it if it were only at 100 euro or something. Basically, small dev team, small runs, high price. They're not being made for mass consumption. That's what the Dreamcast versions are for. These are expensive carts due to what it takes to make them, and factoring in the cost of development and paying the guys who do all the work at NG:Dev. They may be pricey, but these are very small runs of games by a very small team.

I understand your point but I do not agree.
There's a general limit to all the people, I mean a common limit.

I usually tend to draw a line in the minimum payment most countries have.
When you reach 60% of that for just a single game, I believe this is to much.

And I'm not even talking about the minimum here in Brazil I'm talking about the general payment on most industrialized countries.
To be honest, if you look on this forum this is a common complain. That means this doesn't only affect on 3rd world countries but the so called first world too.

I don't want to enter into a cultural debate here just to point out that 400 euros for a car is low but it's too much for a game.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Personally I hate playing vertical shooters, in horizontal mode, but I do appreciate when games give you the option at least to flip the control scheme. I'd rather just play it horizontal with it scaled or boxed if I don't have the option for TATE though. Either way, the more options the better, that way you have no reason to bitch and complain.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looks good though if it's going to cost 400 euro's I'd be much more inclined to buy a CAVE PCB.